Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Feature wishlists for your favourite VM solutions

So I thought I'd start up a bit of a discussion/pow-wow with all of us VMware/Parallels users.. What improvements/features you would love to see in the apps that you use? Here's my few;

1. Open GL support - Awesome work on getting Direct X on it first, and how well you guys did it too (albeit a few issues, which will be mentioned in #2), but to have Open GL support would be divine too!

2. Keeping the mouse in the screen during a game - Another competitor brand forces the mouse automatically to stay within the game screen (I use two screens, fusion on one, osx on the other).

3. Choice to run a usb drive/device on the Guest/Host OS - Again another competitor has that option there. which comes in very handy, say you plug in a usb stick, and you don't want to set it so it ONLY goes to OSX, or Windows/Linux. You'd want the option for both, so you get a prompt appearing "fusion has detected a usb device "blah" whatever it's called. would you like to run it in the guest os? Yes/No" or something like that.

4. Ability to keep a vm session full screen, or unity, even after turning closing the vm session down and/or turning it off/on again - I'd love the ability so that I can fire up Fusion from the dock, and watch it fire up full screen on another space. or Unity on the same screen. Automatically!

Automated suspend of VM when not in use (setting to determine mins before suspend). Ability to perform backups of VM in evening without having to shutdown parallels.

ohhh come on folks, what would you love to see (realistically) in your vm solution as a requested feature?

1. OpenGL support is a must!

Well, an option to run one operating system at once?

I mean, if you could choose to shut down OS X once you're in Windows?

LarryH: That would be impossible.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
    LarryH: That would be impossible.
    you didn't ask for things that were possible, you asked for a wish list

No, I asked for a wishlist :P

I should have added that the list I've compiled there at the start is directly aiming at VMware Fusion.

I use VMware Fusion and the most critical is multiple snapshot points like VMware workstation. Also to be able to connect to VMware server. Again with windows there is a client to connect to a server. No client yet for the Mac.
    MacBookPro 15", iPhone 3G

Successful trades : Cool Smiley, wally4000, macrob69, kaisersozay x2, gilligan911,
    step_andy, neo, mac_man_luke, Clockwork, iMarty, Simo, natakim, chocho, ARB, macman, Goodbye, gregh
    nightelves, suryo, TheKeddi