Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Syncing iCal between two Macs

My wife and I are planning our next holiday and she is preparing it in iCal. We have .mac single user account that our iMac and Macbook share. I have selected the sync with other computers using .mac in the iCal preferences but cannot get the calenders to show up on our iMac.

I just discovered that you can subscribe to an iCal calender but with the subscriptions you cannot edit on event or to-do item...

I was hoping that with the .mac this would allow both machines to sync iCal and share the E-mail address etc (E-mail is working fine on both machines) but cannot get the iCal to work.

Can anyone confirm that the only way is to view it is via subscriptions or is there a way to have a working file on both mac's that will sync? Any help much appreciated...
     iMac Alu 20" C2D 2Ghz 4GB Ram,  MacBook Pro 13" C2D 2.26Ghz 2GB Ram,  iPhone 3GS 32GB White,  iPod 80GB Classic,  iPod Touch 8gb & TV 160GB

Don't know if you've considered this, but Google Calendar might be the answer if you don't want to go down the iCal/.Mac subscriptions path.

Rogerthatv2, you've hit upon what I reckon is a very non-Mac like part of dotmac! It's confusing.

To sync iCal, contacts, safari bookmarks, mail accounts etc between the 2 Macs you need to turn it on via dotmac preferences on both Macs ... apple menu > sys prefs > dotmac.

There probably is a use for the subscription thing but in terms of syncing between 2 Macs it is a furphy.

I have not really had a look at Google calender as yet but may have to. I have both macs setup correctly (well I believe so anyways) in .mac preferences... Will see if the this will suffice for my wife or go down the google cal path.

The part that is frustrating me is that I can edit it on my iPod which is only docked on the iMac not the MacBook and it will sync back to the MacBook via the iMac but it still won't let me edit or add an event on the iMac... WTF, is this standard or have I totally buggered this up. Thank god this is an Apple product, could you imagine how much fun I would be having on a Windows machine now!
     iMac Alu 20" C2D 2Ghz 4GB Ram,  MacBook Pro 13" C2D 2.26Ghz 2GB Ram,  iPhone 3GS 32GB White,  iPod 80GB Classic,  iPod Touch 8gb & TV 160GB

Yes they can do what you ask, I have my imac ical sync with my macbook.

All you need to do is to tick ical sync in the .mac pref on both machines and they will sync remotely via web or .mac. Simple.

Start off by sync's the mac with the orignal ical with .mac and then add the other . When you do this it will ask if you want to replace the contents simply select yes to make an exact copy of the .mac one and from there on you will have them both in sync

I hope I didn t confuse you...

I use BusySync lets you sync between computers and/or Google Calendars. Costs $25 but it's well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    I use BusySync lets you sync between computers and/or Google Calendars. Costs $25 but it's well worth it.
    BusySync.... awesome app and makes scheduling between me and my wife easy.

Regards,
    Shane.

Subscribing to an iCal is for when you publish it on the net, for others to see, or if you want to view it when you aren't at one of your own Mac's.

Sync iCal works nicely if you have one .Mac account, and are synchronising.
    Under System Preferences, and dot Mac make sure you have the iCal bock checked.
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too