Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Wireless less than 10 meters

Hi, just switched to mac and loving the experience! Having worked my way through most problems this one has me stumped.
    The wireless connection on my macbook air stops working at a range of less than 10 meters from the router! It works great everywhere in the house but as I walk towards the router it stops the downloading. The wireless icon shows full strength and all diagnostics show full connection. email or networking stop also.
    All other wireless devices work fine with the router.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tim

Interference from something?

First time of heard of something this weird!

would have to be interference wouldn't it?

what else is plugged in next to the router
    iMac 21.5"| 13" MacBook Air | iPad 2 | Apple TV 3 | iPhone 4 | iPhone 4 | iPod HiFi | Drobo | 7D

Thanks for the replies. I have my pc running the modem and router.
    All other wirless items work fine, itouch, iphone, laptops etc. If interference was the cause I should have problems with the other items? maybe? This morning I unplugged everything but the pc and still no change!
    If it helps its a belkin n1 mimo wireless router.
    I will take my macbook air to another wireless source tomorrow and see if it works close to that router.
    Thanks again.
    Tim

People have reported elsewhere in here that it's possible to be TOO close to a wireless access point. My apartment is small enough that for the most part, I just use an Airport Express set with the transmission power at only 10%.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.