Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Just my luck: MacBook Air's first outing

Going interstate on a business trip today - loaded up my documents and presentations on my shiny new MBA. Great. Then I speak to the people running the accommodation - they've got broadband, but not wifi. Only via a cable. Hmmmm. Back to the old Macbook I think. Or, can I buy an adapter of some sort which plugs into my (one and only) USB port? If so, is this an easy to buy thing from any PC outlet, or do I need to visit an Apple store? I'm on a tight timeline here, so help appreciated!

Andrew
    At our place: iMac 27" / 2 x iMac24" 3.06Ghz / 2 x MBA 13.3" + 11.6" / iPod Touch 16Gb / 2 x iPhones 4 64Gb + 3GS 32Gb / 3 x Airport Express / 1Tb Time Capsule

I would say that you need to find an apple store for the USB ethernet adapter

The Apple Store (Australia) - Apple USB Ethernet Adapter

and Bugger!

Well Apple do have a USB to Ethernet adapter, not sure if this is something you can use a generic adapter for.

or, take your own wireless router. Like an Airport Express.
    President (and only member) of the Hockey Puck and Mighty Mouse Appreciation Society

wireless access point FTW
    Mac Pro Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Quad, 6GB Ram, 128GB SSD+320GB+3x1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX285, Mac OS X 10.7
    My Flickr | Portfolio/Photoblog

the beauty of an express

small enough to travel with, just plug it in and instant wireless
    iMac 21.5"| 13" MacBook Air | iPad 2 | Apple TV 3 | iPhone 4 | iPhone 4 | iPod HiFi | Drobo | 7D

I have this adapter for ethernet if you need it. Located in the CBD near Spencer St

My MBA wont arrive till next week so welcome to a loan of it

I bought the ethernet adapter with my MBA just because I know I will need it but I have not used it yet.
    Regards, Anthony
    Infinite Networks - Proud Sponsor of MacTalk Australia
    Broadband // Hosting // Domains // Web Design & Development
    Unit 4 / 42 Geils Court,
    Deakin West ACT 2600
    Ph: 1300 790 337

I too would go for an AirPort Express.
    adamd
    iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod nano, iPod Touch, iPod mini, G3+G4 iMac, G4 PowerMac

Quote Originally Posted by Alessiman View Post
    I have this adapter for ethernet if you need it. Located in the CBD near Spencer St

My MBA wont arrive till next week so welcome to a loan of it
    That's really kind of you . . . . however, I think I'll try to pick up an adapter in Hobart. Sounds like I'll need it again!

Cheers, Andrew
    At our place: iMac 27" / 2 x iMac24" 3.06Ghz / 2 x MBA 13.3" + 11.6" / iPod Touch 16Gb / 2 x iPhones 4 64Gb + 3GS 32Gb / 3 x Airport Express / 1Tb Time Capsule

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhollo View Post
    That's really kind of you . . . . however, I think I'll try to pick up an adapter in Hobart. Sounds like I'll need it again!

Cheers, Andrew
    No worries. I just wish my MBA will get here soon

Have a look at this thread which looks at using a generic USB-to-ethernet adaptor. There is a table on this page here that gives a short list of adaptors that will work.

PS, what's the name of the no-wifi hotel? Sounds like its a place that would get my patronage if I were to visit.