Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    456

    Question Possible disadvantages with ordering BTO/CTO Macbook Pro

    Okay, it is almost time for me to slap down the cash for my first ever MacBook Pro. But I have a quick question that needs to be answered before I do...

    Are there any downsides (besides the obvious one of extra cost) to ordering a BTO/CTO machine? Does it effect the warranty/repair process or policy Apple follow? Would it increase the length of time taken for repairs (in the event something went wrong that is).

    I have been following all the recent discussion here and it seems that many respected members of these forums agree that the CTO/BTO option of the 7200rpm drive is essentially a good idea.

    What are your thoughts?

    I am specifically interested in hearing from the likes of Jedda, Jeloz etc. as you guys know some of the more intricate details regarding Apple's repair policies. That being said, please everyon else weigh into the discussion, I'd love to know some more before making a decision.

    cheers
    Evad

  2. #2

    Default

    The warranty and repair process is the exact same. The only thing I can see as an issue is that if there is an issue with a specific part that is BTO (i.e: 7200rpm HDD or that faster CPU), is that you may need to wait longer for that part to hit your repair center as the chances of Apple having stock are slightly lower than the stock part that the majority of customers have.

    Other than that, BTO machines also take longer to ship (something that would frustrate me, haha).

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Thanks for the info decryption.

    Does the same DOA policy apply to BTO machines?

    If something was seriously wrong and a new machine is in order I guess it may take em a while to build the new one?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The Deep South, Sydney.
    Posts
    1,437

    Default

    You cannot return a BTO machine for a refund, like you can with a stock machine within the 10 days after purchase. This could be relevant if you get one or two dead pixels that Apple won't cover.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evad View Post
    Thanks for the info decryption.

    Does the same DOA policy apply to BTO machines?

    If something was seriously wrong and a new machine is in order I guess it may take em a while to build the new one?
    DOA applies as in they'll take your machine and get you a new one, but obviously, this can't be done on the spot, as your machine is not in stock (it's made as you order it, Apple doesn't keep stock of them). So to get a replacement machine, you will need to wait for Apple to ship you a new one.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    456

    Default

    So DOA applies, but returns within 10 days for refund does not.

    Looks like the only possible downside is in the event that there are dead pixels not covered under warranty.

    How much of an issue is this? Do pixels arrive dead all that often?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    126

    Default

    It could be your lucky day, or your unlucky day.

    Although not completely relevant, the 20-inch Dell screen I ordered some two years ago was a little dodgy. There was a dead black spot which I didn't think bad enough that it was covered by warranty.

    I called up Dell anyway, and I said that the monitor stand was jammed and I couldn't adjust it-none fault of my own.

    They shipped me a new complete unit, and said I could swap the screen too if I wanted to, not just the stand.

    Obviously I did, the second screen was perfect, and it continues to be the one I am using today.

    I guessif you want that kind of 10-days refund no questions asked peace of mind based on the chance that you might get a crap screen it is well worth it, because that would be the screen you will be staring at for quite some time.
    12" Powerbook G4 1.33GHz, iPod Classic 160GB Black.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Melbonia
    Posts
    2,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    ...Other than that, BTO machines also take longer to ship (something that would frustrate me, haha).
    I'm hoping it's not too much longer, as I've just ordered mine with the 7200 rpm drive.
    Live life with Blue Sun

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    nr Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evad View Post
    Okay, it is almost time for me to slap down the cash for my first ever MacBook Pro. But I have a quick question that needs to be answered before I do...

    Are there any downsides (besides the obvious one of extra cost) to ordering a BTO/CTO machine? Does it effect the warranty/repair process or policy Apple follow? Would it increase the length of time taken for repairs (in the event something went wrong that is).

    I have been following all the recent discussion here and it seems that many respected members of these forums agree that the CTO/BTO option of the 7200rpm drive is essentially a good idea.

    What are your thoughts?

    I am specifically interested in hearing from the likes of Jedda, Jeloz etc. as you guys know some of the more intricate details regarding Apple's repair policies. That being said, please everyon else weigh into the discussion, I'd love to know some more before making a decision.

    cheers
    Evad
    hi evad - congrats and all that on your imminent decision.

    why not order the stock standard MBPro then purchase the 7200rpm hd of your choice elsewhere (cheaper than Apple's option, I might add)
    they'll both arrive at the same time then all you need to do is slip one out the other in, format and install only that which you need from the Leopard install dvd.
    It's a bit more complex than the same task on a MB but it's do-able

    see for more info:
    Upgrade Your MacBook Pro's Hard Drive: The First Steps

    then you have 2 options - buy a casing for the spare hd and you have your backup drive - or go to ebay for a fast $ return.
    you can similarly upgrade the memory for a a much smaller song than the one Apple would have you sing.

    sadly it will void your Apple warranty (as you're going into Tech-only territory) yet should you have a hard drive issue, it'd be the manufacturer's responsibility to replace it.

    however, having said all that, and you are deciding to opt for a 3 year AppleCare - then disregard all the foregoing, buy BTO and wait for the thing an extra few days

    I've had a number of Apple notebooks over the years and have no repair issues whatsoever (unless you count my daughter's PBook which had the logic board (faulty earphone jack soldered to logic board) & optical drive replaced at 2yrs 9months uder extended warranty - phew)

    mind you, the notebooks that do seem to have regular issues are the MB Pros - but I've never had the cash to go there so it's not an issue for me.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •