Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Superduper Back-up in Safe Boot Mode

Advice required please:

Whilst attempting to install the Bigpond wireless software from the installation CD I encountered problems getting my G4 PB (Tiger 10.4.11) to recognise the modem on a port - then I get the black "You need to restart your computer" screen .....

Having turned off, the PB will now not boot - spinning grey wheel of death only. Managed to boot in safe mode and I now want to backup onto the external HDD before doing anything else.

Problem is, I do not know whether I can (or should) backup in safe mode using Superduper since it overwrites any existing data on the HDD.

Any help most appreciated

Aladdin's Avatar Aladdin is offline Drink Coffee - Do Stupid Things Faster

How long since your last backup - it would be easier to restore from the external HDD and have a functional computer again.

Have a look at this webpage, sounds like someone had a similar problem.
    Rise & Shine: the early spoon gets the morning wood.

If the Bigpond installer uses the Mac OS X installer, you could open it, then press command-i which will bring up a list of the files installed. It probably installed a single kernel extension which is screwing things up. You could then, in various ways, such as booting from the SD back-up, remove the installed files manually.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.