Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Awsome Program For MBP!

Well ok I didn't mean to get your hopes up because I haven't tried this because I don't actually have a Mac. But I have heard people talk about how great this program is. Its called " SMC Fan Control"

Basicaly (spelling?), this app allows you to control the speed (rpm) of both your fans in your MacBook Pro. If it gets too hot, increase the fan speed, thus using more power but lowering your temperature. Read this story - http://www.michaelkratz.com/2006/10/...speed-control/

For more information and download click on this link - http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eid...ge5/page5.html

Thanks and I hope you enjoy it. Again I am mentioning I have not tried this software.

Thomas

You're doing an excellent job and contributing to the community alot in your first few weeks (which is excellent)...

However, do a search before you post, you'd be amazed at how much information is on this forum.

I'm pretty sure fan controls is known about...

But please don't let my comments discourage you from posting...

(oh.. and hurry up and get a mac.. you'll love it!)
    Successful Trades: krazy1, Astr0b0y, soulman, areal, smdnetau, Huy, Alessiman, step_andy, tibook, mulquemi, BoxDog, Devski, The Keddi, decryption

Using Fan Control for Mac's can be fatal, setting the fan speed too low when running a high performance program can cause very high and intense heat and causing damage to your Mac. Use these programs wisely!

Meh 626
    Meh 626 - Meh626.com
     MacBook Pro i7 2010  iMac 21.5" 2011  iMac G4 17"  iPad 3 64GB  iPhone 4 32GB  AirPort Express' - Successful Trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
    You're doing an excellent job and contributing to the community alot in your first few weeks (which is excellent)...

However, do a search before you post, you'd be amazed at how much information is on this forum.

I'm pretty sure fan controls is known about...

But please don't let my comments discourage you from posting...

(oh.. and hurry up and get a mac.. you'll love it!)

ha mate i'm only 13 and I am saving up as fast as I can with my only form of available income being recieved from my parents. I am doing my maximum work around the house, earning $120 a month. Plus b'day and xmas i'll have enough by next summer holidays. I know my MBP will taste extra sweet when I know I have earned it!

Quote Originally Posted by Meh 626 View Post
    Using Fan Control for Mac's can be fatal, setting the fan speed too low when running a high performance program can cause very high and intense heat and causing damage to your Mac. Use these programs wisely!
    Sorry but thats not true. What smc fancontrol is doing is setting the minimum speed. The system will make them faster when it needs too so there is really no risk.

Meh 626
    yeah I guess it can be dangerous if you strech it to its limits!

EDIT after slayers post: OK lol

Quote Originally Posted by tommy94 View Post
    ha mate i'm only 13 and I am saving up as fast as I can with my only form of available income being recieved from my parents. I am doing my maximum work around the house, earning $120 a month. Plus b'day and xmas i'll have enough by next summer holidays. I know my MBP will taste extra sweet when I know I have earned it!
    You must have pretty high pay rates. You seem to be on the forum a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by iSlayer
    Sorry but thats not true. What smc fancontrol is doing is setting the minimum speed. The system will make them faster when it needs too so there is really no risk.
    Ok, I would still be cautious, but that's me!

Thanks
    Meh 626 - Meh626.com
     MacBook Pro i7 2010  iMac 21.5" 2011  iMac G4 17"  iPad 3 64GB  iPhone 4 32GB  AirPort Express' - Successful Trades.

Meh 626
    With smcFanControl you can't set the minimum speed below Apple's minimum, but it allows you to raise the default fan speed above Apple's minimum to keep your MacBook (Pro) cooler and not need to ramp the fans up to a higher level as much.

No, you can cause the fans to seize though if they are set to run constantly at lower temperatures.

For instance, having a min speed of 3500rpm (I've seen it) and thresholds of 40 and 70 means that the fans will run at 3500rpm at 40C and then will run at their fastest when temp reaches near 70C - meaning the fans are always on at max speed.

I just saw a case where Fan Control was installed, and the fans had seized up from overuse. They can be lubricated, but I'd rather not have to lube my fans every few months just cos they are being overused.

SMC is a smart utility that regulates the fans. Whilst its great that Apple make hooks for this kind of thing, some core components of the system shouldn't be touched.

Trades: Clockwork, applecollector, Amzy, Brains, chris, samuelclarke, mrldigitalmedia
    Link: http://www.lifeinplasticpants.com/2003/07/12/index.html

You must have pretty high pay rates. You seem to be on the forum a lot.

Thanks
    well washing two cars once a month, watering garden and blowing down drive way 4 times a month and some more! I know one thing: IT'S GONNA BE WORTH IT!

well washing two cars once a month, watering garden and blowing down drive way 4 times a month and some more! I know one thing: IT'S GONNA BE WORTH IT!
    That's still good money... I used to get $5 a week for doing that and more!
    Successful Trades: krazy1, Astr0b0y, soulman, areal, smdnetau, Huy, Alessiman, step_andy, tibook, mulquemi, BoxDog, Devski, The Keddi, decryption

That's Great! Good Luck, only if next year could come sooner!!!
    Meh 626 - Meh626.com

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
    That's still good money... I used to get $5 a week for doing that and more!
    well times have changed haven't they? lol

That's Great! Good Luck, only if next year could come sooner!!!
    ha I wish! well i'm in year 8 now and yr 8 is really easy at my school so I hope it will fly past!

So how would one turn it off?
    My Macs: MacBook Pro 17", Powerbook Ti 867Mhz, Powermac 5500 Black, iBook G3 900Mhz, Powermac MDD, Powermac 8600 250Mhz, Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz Mac Mini, iMac G4 17" 1Ghz, eMac 1Ghz, eMac 800Mhz,
    AppleCollector Sales Service/Sales/Support/Trade In's

Quote Originally Posted by applecollector View Post
    So how would one turn it off?
    turn what off because this thread has kinda changes topics!

That's great. It's rare these days that kids work for their toys.

I've seen a 10 yrs old with PS3 and Wii, each with its own LCD.

spoilt brats. I do have a PS3 but I only got my money through insurance. AN INSURANCE SCAM! Lol just kidding. no we got broken into and old crap of mine got spolen so I got good vouchers for stuff and my dad wanted it for the blu-ray so we bought it!

Quote Originally Posted by scokim View Post
    That's great. It's rare these days that kids work for their toys.

I've seen a 10 yrs old with PS3 and Wii, each with its own LCD.
    Yes, I basically work for all my toys! It's a great feel'n when you know you have earned it!

Meh 626 - Meh626.com

Any G4 faster than 1Ghz is a great switcher machine. I got a 1.25Ghz PowerBook and I still love it.

If you are 13, you don't even need a MBP (unless you play WoW)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast