Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question I'm New To Mac - Help Me Out

Hello fellow Aussie Mac users/owners,

I am Thomas and I'm 13. I just joined the site today and I love it. I'm in year 8 now and I have been thinking. By the time I'm in year 10 I'm going to need my own omputer for study and school work. I also want one for fun! I am very creative on computers like making pictures in Photoshop and making websites aswell as videos.I know Macs can provide there! I have been a PC user all my life and I am now deciding to save up for a Mac. I hope to get one from now to the end of 2009. I just have some questions:

What's DMG? Is is like an installer file format? Example: .exe on Windows
    Also What is: PDA, MBP

I love Macs now and can't wait to get one. But can anyone tell me that advantages they have over Microsoft Windows, just so I know i'm making the right decision. Thanks,

Thomas

DMG: DMG is a disk image format which can contain an installer or application.
    PDA: Personal Digital Assistant, a la Palm, PocketPC, etc.
    MBP: MacBook Pro, Apple's pro-notebook.
    MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 15" | iMac Core 2 Duo 20"
    iPod 5G 30GB | iPod nano 4GB | Apple TV 40GB | iPhone 3G 8GB

Oh thanks mate. I know about MacBooks but just not the abreviations. Thanks

Tommy - get the Mac. You'll never look back and you can always get Windows programs like Word etc at student rate if you need to for school/uni (given that most use thee programs as standard on either Mac or PC).

I've just made the switch and I loooooove it.

Plus, if you purchase something with a little more grunt, like the MacBook Pro: MBP - with 4GB RAM, using an application called: Parallels, you can run both Windows XP (the upgrade to Vista :P) and Mac OS X @ the same time.

Have both Operating Systems in one without rebooting.

I have decided to get a desktop. I'm going to get an iMac and i will have one by the end of the year. Another question: can I open up a .zip file on a Mac?

But can anyone tell me that advantages they have over Microsoft Windows, just so I know i'm making the right decision
    Standard cliches
    "It just works "
    "True plug and play "
    etc etc

Also no viruses ( virrii ? ) trojans etc for OSX.
    That's not to say Macs and OSX don't have problems. They do as shown on these forums , but they just seem to have a lot less problems than Windows and PC's.

Another question: can I open up a .zip file on a Mac?
    Yes , with Alumes "Stuffit Expander"

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

You can open a .zip file on a mac without having to install any extra software. "It just works".

EDIT: Beaten. Darnit!!

thanks mate. Is it freeware? if not, how much?

EDit: can you open it without software??

Quote Originally Posted by tommy94 View Post
    I have decided to get a desktop. I'm going to get an iMac and i will have one by the end of the year. Another question: can I open up a .zip file on a Mac?
    Yep - OS X can open numerous compression formats, yet OS X alone, running without Parallels and Windows XP, won't be able to open zipped .exe files. You'd still need Parallels and Windows XP / Vista to execute .exe files.

(There are several free Unarchiving applications - such as: The Unarchiver, which will expand just about anything, including .zip).

.zip is handled natively by the Operating System, so you won't need to buy/install anything extra.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWork View Post
    Yep - OS X can open numerous compression formats, yet OS X alone, running without Parallels and Windows XP, won't be able to open zipped .exe files. You'd still need Parallels and Windows XP / Vista to execute .exe files.

(There are several free Unarchiving applications - such as: The Unarchiver, which will expand just about anything, including .zip).
    cool, thanks everyone

krafty Guest

hey kiddo, get your folks to buy you one of these.
    ebay has bargains

i will totally crack up laughing when tommy94 decides to get a hp running vista from hardly normals...

"better specs" will be the thread title...

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    i will totally crack up laughing when tommy94 decides to get a hp running vista from hardly normals...

"better specs" will be the thread title...
    I'm pretty sure he buy a Mac. He seems fairly certain to agree on a Mac and stick with it. Maybe he kick himself 6 months later when a HP has better specs with Vista preinstalled? 'Style without substance' will be the thread title...
    In need of a witty signature

you won't see me getting a PC any time soon lol. I'm on a friggin PC now and Internet Explorer keeps shutting down for no reason, telling me that firewall has sent an error to the program with the title: WDGH: error22762. I'm like WTF then it closes and my PC goes heaps slow and I have to restart it!

ITS TIME FOR A MAC!

Quote Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
    Maybe he kick himself 6 months later when a HP has better specs with Vista preinstalled.
    I won't know what version to pick! so many choices...(thinks) buisness, enterprise, unlitmate.....

you won't see me getting a PC any time soon lol. I'm on a friggin PC now and Internet Explorer keeps shutting down for no reason, telling me that firewall has sent an error to the program with the title: WDGH: error22762. I'm like WTF then it closes and my PC goes heaps slow and I have to restart it!

ITS TIME FOR A MAC!
    Download Firefox, IE is a piece of crap. You're most likely running IE6 as well
    20" Alu iMac | White 3GS
    Follow me on twitter

yes, i was being silly. been drinking.

i really hope he gets a mac.

ITS TIME FOR A MAC!
    Umm... Not to rain on your parade or anything but, isn't it cheaper to fix and repair then replace and forget? Have you tried using Firefox?
    In need of a witty signature

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast