Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Can I remove these folders?

Hi guys,

I'm cleaning out my Hard Drive and have stumbled across this 2GB file called 'sleepimage' located in /private/var/vm. Can I remove it?

Also, my GarageBand (which I rarely use) Application Support folder is 2.32GB. Is there anyway I can move them to another hard drive and use them only when I need to?

Thanks.
    Ricky.
    It's one thing to nod, it's another to know.

The former is the file that contains the data from memory when the computer is sleeping, so no. You should never touch anything in /private unless you specifically know what you're doing.

The Garageband folder, indeed, you can move it. I'm not sure if making an alias to its contents on an external HD will work. Those gigs are all the sound loops that come with Garageband by default.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

rtc Guest

Whether or not it is dangerous to remove the sleepimage file, it would just create another one in its place next time you put the computer to sleep anyway, so even if you did delete it you would only free up space temporarily.

2GB's...what the hell does it keep in that thing!

Thanks for your help.
    It's one thing to nod, it's another to know.

rtc Guest

It keeps an image of your ram (yes, that includes the idle bit). You have 2gb of ram no?