Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23

Thread: Macbook Air

Quote Originally Posted by anarchron View Post
    What's CTO?
    Configure To Order. Also referred to as BTO: Build To Order.

Quote Originally Posted by denwol View Post
    Has anyone seen if they are in store today?
    Nope, they won't be in stores until the first shipment hits Australia (of which the first orders from the Apple online store will be).

Quote Originally Posted by MightyAtom View Post
    The 1.8/SSD systems actually turn out to be CTO (or as we pretentiously say "Lovingly hand crafted to order like a fine suit") for some reason that isnt initially obvious given the Air product line is virtually fixed at the two base models with only four configurations total.

I would love to see the stats on how many times each apple purchaser refreshes the order page to see if it has shipped. It would be a sort of "Index of Addiction".. Mines alarmingly high already. I'll' distract myself by ordering a USB Ethernet dongle as this stinking hotel in Canberra has no wireless. Maybe the knockers were right.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MightyAtom View Post
    Or Customize to Order

I can't believe you guys just go out and order a rev. a machine knowing that it will have a price drop in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryH View Post
    I can't believe you guys just go out and order a rev. a machine knowing that it will have a price drop in the next few months.
    So it's just like any other computer purchase then! Get it when you want/need it.
    half goon half god: The same should go for people shoving 'Mac' in their nick. Unless it's clever, NO.

Quote Originally Posted by macsyd View Post
    So it's just like any other computer purchase then! Get it when you want/need it.
    Exactly. Any computer is obsolete before you get home with it.... buy it when you want it for the price it is... who cares really??
    Successful Trades: krazy1, Astr0b0y, soulman, areal, smdnetau, Huy, Alessiman, step_andy, tibook, mulquemi, BoxDog, Devski, The Keddi, decryption

Quote Originally Posted by LarryH View Post
    Or Customize to Order

Don't worry, we'll just do what the iPhone people did and demand Apple credits.
    MacBook Pro Core i5 2.4Ghz| iPad 32GB | MacBook Air 1.8/80 |PowerBook G4 12" | iMac Core 2 Duo 20" | iPod Mini 4GB | iPhone 8GB (1.1.3)

Ahh.. can wait until they are actually in stores. Its not the same just looking at them on the Internet. When will they be in stores exactly so we can test them out?

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/01/30mba.html

MacBook Air Now Shipping

CUPERTINO, California—January 30, 2008—Apple® today announced that MacBook Air™, the world’s thinnest notebook, is now shipping. MacBook Air measures an unprecedented 0.16-inches at its thinnest point, while its maximum height of 0.76-inches is less than the thinnest point on competing notebooks. Apple also announced that the new Apple TV® software update, which allows users to rent high definition movies directly from their widescreen TVs, is not quite finished. Apple now plans to make the free software download available to existing Apple TV customers in another week or two.

i think people are taking the wrong approach when comparing the macbook to the air. macbook is entry-level and cheap. the air is really for apple customers who have a desktop/whatever else already and are looking for a sexy notebook. its really air vs pro, macbook can't be compared. people in the market for a macbook obviously won't fork out the coin, but people in the market for an air or even pro most certainly will. its apples and oranges really.

can i just say, its a really nice looking notebook, damn nice, but i don't like how its that thin and yet the screen has a chunky frame like the macbook. mbpro still has the nice thin frame (around the screen) and just tops off the overall look i reckon. maybe thats just me -_- no ethernet, no optical, just too under-powered for the price (as nice as it looks). i doubt i'll ever stray from the mbpro fan club

Can the first person who takes one of these through an airport security checkpoint let me know how you go with the requirement to remove the battery. This is the only thing holding me back.

I just know I'll run into the power trip security guy who wont take "Its non-removable" as an answer. Then I'll waste 15 mins trying to convince a supervisor and miss the flight. I'm always running late anyway.
    half goon half god: The same should go for people shoving 'Mac' in their nick. Unless it's clever, NO.

Can the first person who takes one of these through an airport security checkpoint let me know how you go with the requirement to remove the battery. This is the only thing holding me back.
    That is a very good point... it never even dawned on me..

But I've never had to remove the battery out of my ibook before... do they really make you remove it all the time?
    Successful Trades: krazy1, Astr0b0y, soulman, areal, smdnetau, Huy, Alessiman, step_andy, tibook, mulquemi, BoxDog, Devski, The Keddi, decryption

Quote Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
    do they really make you remove it all the time?
    Sydney domestic, probably 3/4 of the time. 100% strike rate on Sydney international so far. So it's a concern.

Sydney domestic, probably 3/4 of the time. 100% strike rate on Sydney international so far. So it's a concern.
    Serious? I've never had to remove a battery. How recent is this?

I know the US recently changed their laws so that spare batteries were not allowed.
    garethtownsend.info

Melbourne Cocoaheads! - we're cuckoo for cocoa apps!

I came through Syd domestic Sunday evening and didn't have to... Brisbane didn't pick on my on Friday night when I was flying out either...

I've never been asked to remove the battery from either my 17" PB or my current 15" MBP.
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

Wednesday a/noon last week was the last time domestic. Must be my ancient ThinkPad/I'm suspicous looking/the sweat from running to the gate.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23