Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: OS wont boot

Question OS wont boot

When I start my Macbook all I am seeing is the grey screen. The apple doesnt pop up and nothing loads but the chime chimes. My Logic board failed on me a few months ago and when I started my computer no grey screen appeared and the chime didnt chime. So its not the exact same problem as a shorted logic board.

I have no idea what to do and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did.

Thanks a lot.

Use the supplied hardware diagnostic test disk, it's on the same as your OS install disk.

Maybe it's hard disk related.

My hard drive died on me yesterday. Is it making any noises? "Clicks" or anything?

If you hold down the option key before the mac chimes does anything appear on the screen?

If the chime chimes, but you don't see anything after that, it's most likely Hard Drive related.

Can you get into Target Disk mode? (Hold down T immediately after pressing the power button)

If you can, BACKUP DATA NOW.

Off to the Apple store first thing in the morning I would suggest, still under Applecare is it?
    "I want to lie, Shipwrecked and comotose, drinking fresh Mango Juice'.

www.barcoasters.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by SyncMan View Post
    Use the supplied hardware diagnostic test disk, it's on the same as your OS install disk.
    It's weird, 1.5 hours after I posted this, I am on the phone last night telling my mum to use it as well, after a very long time of not using it. I have to wait till later this morning to see if she has a hardware problem on her MacBook

Hi, I think I have the same problem. I cannot boot up and im stuck on the grey screen. HDD failure or worse?

Machine is a Mac Pro, 4gb ram xt1900.

As for backing up, well I just bought an external drive and was beginning to back up and then this happened!

holding option only shows me my mouse pointer. Mac chimes on start up and i can't get into target mode Reset PRAM, SMU everything i could think of.

Any other ideas?

Thaks

Hard drive = dead.

If it chimes, you're alright, logic board wise.

EDIT: right, if it's a Mac Pro there's more you can do...

Tried reseating the HDD? Just pull it out and plug it back in again.

Yes the HDD is dead. Clicking away. I just need to get a few things off it, but it looks like it is too late.

I can't believe it, I but a back up disc and I didn't even get a chance to back anything up.

Any way of getting data off the dead one without paying some crazy amount?

Nope. You're out of luck.

If you do decide to go the crazy amount: http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/

Thanks for the link. I only needed a serial to activate one of my plugins. Apart from that I should be fine.

At least I can have a clean install of Leopard now. Maybe now it will run better. Maybe the HDD was causing it (10.5) to be sluggish?