Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default MagSafe flashing green and orange on MacBook Pro

My friend's MacBook Pro shut down when it ran out of battery. So she connected it to power and left for a few hours.

It still won't turn on. The battery's green LED has one flashing green light suggesting the battery is not charging. But the weird thing is that when the MagSafe is plugged in, it's flashing green and orange. I can't find anywhere on the net that explains what this means. Does it sound like the power adapter needs replacing under warranty?

The MacBook Pro still doesn't start after the PMU has been reset. Nor does it start with the battery taken out but still plugged into the MagSafe (suggesting it's the MagSafe to blame, not the battery).

The MacBook Pro is the current model entry level 15". No extra RAM has been installed and no peripherals are connected.

Sounds like the MagSafe might be cactus.
    I had similar problems with mine - would flick between orange and green, and then faint green, and then it died.
    Lucky for me, there's this shop called Streetwise, and this tech called Jedda....
    Yay!
    .sig

This happened to me with my original battery. From what I can tell, it means there is a problem with the battery itself. I ended up having mine replaced as part of the battery recall programme.
    ...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Quote Originally Posted by dangelovich View Post
    This happened to me with my original battery. From what I can tell, it means there is a problem with the battery itself. I ended up having mine replaced as part of the battery recall programme.
    I know you can use MacBook Pros with the battery removed so long as it's plugged in. So my logic suggests it couldn't be the battery if the same thing happens when the battery is removed.

get it replaced ASAP before it starts melting like mine did

This happened on my macbook. My battery was stuffed. Get it replaced as soon as possible.
    Something about Jimby.

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    This happened on my macbook. My battery was stuffed. Get it replaced as soon as possible.
    I still don't know how this could be the battery. I have a white MacBook and if I took the battery out, it would still operate when connected to a MagSafe. So how would this MacBook Pro know that the battery that is sitting next to it is faulty and refuse to start? How do I "inform" the MacBook Pro that we have swapped the battery with a working one?

looks like you're not alone
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread....74378&tstart=0
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1112553
    check the magsafe cord for any damage. also, does it get very hot very quickly?
    do you have another power adapter you can test it with, or can you borrow one?

Sorry, I skimmed though the original post and missed the part about taking the battery out. I remember a little while back that apple issued a tech note regarding a issues with faulty magsafe adapters, and that problems such as yours were identified and the adapter then replaced by apple.
    Something about Jimby.

When she brought it around for me to look at, her MagSafe adapter worked on my MacBook and my MacBook's power adapter showed the same flashing light symptom on her MacBook Pro.

So it's been taken to the service centre and diagnosed with a faulty logic board. Apparently it's working fine when ever you put in a charged battery. But then as soon as you plug in a power adapter it switches itself off.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBoy View Post
    So it's been taken to the service centre and diagnosed with a faulty logic board.
    Would appear right, as you said the adaptor still acted up when you had no battery installed, which means the fault was the system itself (or the magsafe adaptor).

How long until it's repaired?

Quote Originally Posted by purana View Post
    ...How long until it's repaired?
    Well the part is on order so once they receive it they said they should be able to fit it that day. I'm expecting about four days in total.