Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Good stuff...

Default Reading "winmail.dat" files

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnriley View Post
    When I get sent a winmail.dat file , how do I open that ?
    If you are using Apple mail, which I presume you are, and you receive these types of files, try this little program:

tnefDD

If you are using a windows based mail program try this one:

Winmail.dat Reader

Hope this helps.
    iMac 27" 3.2Gb with 32Gb RAM, 2Tb Time Capsule & Airport Express,
    iPod 5.5 30g, iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad Mini
    Bruji the best cataloguing programs for Mac OS & iOS

Quote Originally Posted by FineWine View Post
    In Mail they will appear under "On My Mac" as "Imported Mail".
    Hi thanks for writing the article up. I have just tried the Thunderbird method 3 times and every time the emails in some of the subfolders (ones I have created) are missing. I did delete the .default folder before attempting again. Everything looked fine on Thunderbird (v2.0.0.17) but when importing into Mail, it imports all the named folders but not all the emails.

BTW You have to export the Address book in Thunderbird as LPID, copy to the usb flas drive, then in Mail/Address Book, import the LPID file from the usb flash drive. This part works OK.

Would this mean I would need to purchase this file 02M Little Machines ?

Default Importing "mbox" mail structures

Quote Originally Posted by Goldilocks View Post
    I did delete the .default folder before attempting again. Everything looked fine on Thunderbird (v2.0.0.17) but when importing into Mail, it imports all the named folders but not all the emails.[/url] ?
    Whether you are coming from Outlook/Outlook Express and you imported them into Thunderbird or just from Thunderbird you must compact your Thunderbird folders prior to copying them to what ever transfer media you use. On import to Apple mail you again must use Mails Rebuild feature mail box by mail box at a time or you can download "Speedmail" which will do the same thing all in one go. I actually did both, rebuilt box by box then Speedmail.

Mail.app and Mozilla Mail both use the standard Unix mbox format but sometimes things just do not go as they should because Apple mail is far more rigid than Thunderbird.

In Thunderbirds .default directory under the Mail sub directory are all your boxes as follows:
    (This is an expample)

Mail
    Account Name
    Inbox.sbd
    Computers
    Apple Mac
    Apple Mac.msf

Sent.sbd
    Computers
    Apple Mac
    Apple Mac.msf

As you can see each mailbox has four pieces to it - i.e. inbox.sbd, inbox folder name, inbox.msf and inbox with no extension.
    You are going to have to rename those files which have no extension by adding .mbox as the file extension. For example, Apple mac becomes Apple Mac.mbox.
    Now open Mail.app and select File: Import, Thunderbird. Your mailbox(es) should appear in the import window and will import into Mail.app.
    Apple mail only looks at the mbox files within the folders whilst at the same time keeping your Thunderbird folder structure during import.
    Or you can import each .mbox file individually, thereby weeding out those emails you do not want. Again open Apple mail, File, Import but this time select mbox files.

Please keep a back-up copy of your Thunderbird .default folder before doing any renaming etc.

Now having explained all of the above, I have since discovered a donation ware program that was initially written to import Eudora's mail into Apple mail. "Eudora Mailbox Cleaner". The latest version 4.8 will also clean up, convert and migrate Thunderbird mail to Apple mail. I have not personally tried this program.

BTW You have to export the Address book in Thunderbird as LPID, copy to the usb flas drive, then in Mail/Address Book, import the LPID file from the usb flash drive. This part works OK. [/url] ?
    Yes you are correct. I did not go into this as I used by Switch to Mac as a good excuse to redo my address book from scratch.

I hope you now have success in your importation.

Cheers

Thanks Finewine, I did do the compact folders and the rebuild routine as I followed your instructions to the letter. The extra detail you provided above, I did not know about and will go and have another try and will let you know how it goes.

Sorry it took awhile, home duties were pressing. I still have not been able to get this to import correctly, even deleting Thunderbird and reinstalling, renaming the unnamed folders to mbox, compressing before closing etc etc. all with exactly the same result. All folders are imported but not all emails. I suspect the ones missing contain attachments. I did try Speedmail, Eudora Mail Cleanup with exactly the same result therefore the problems seems to be on the Thunderbird end or Mail not recognizing the ones with attachments. I know my way around PCs fairly well, however this is my second mac, my first one was a IIC; so I may be missing something obvious to a Mac user.

I am unable to get back to this for a couple of days, but will pursue if anyone has any more suggestions. I would like to know what it is I am doing wrong.

I still have not been able to get this to import correctly, even deleting Thunderbird and reinstalling, renaming the unnamed folders to mbox, compressing before closing etc etc. all with exactly the same result. All folders are imported but not all emails.
    Well this problem is new to me. I have never had any problems importing Tb mail into Apple mail even after importing OL/OLE into Tb then into Apple mail. After further research I came up with this article. Have a read of the entire page and if you think you are up to it try out those scripts.

Good Luck and please let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by FineWine View Post
    Well this problem is new to me. I have never had any problems importing Tb mail into Apple mail even after importing OL/OLE into Tb then into Apple mail. After further research I came up with this article. Have a read of the entire page and if you think you are up to it try out those scripts.

Good Luck and please let me know how you get on.

Cheers
    Thank you Finewine, I have had had success!! not with the scripts above (not directly) but reading it gave me some inspiration. I understand what the article was saying, but I felt I am not quite ready for that level....yet. It seems that it may be the inconsistency with the characters in the email might have been the culprit. It got me thinking, seeing the Outlook Express is a simpler progam and it has been successful on importation, maybe if I imported Outlook into OE, it might strip the orroneous characters for me, then use Thunderbird from there.

I did just that, checking all emails came across, then selected each folder one by one, just for the heck of it, in my mind, it might make OE reinforce the emails are there. I then selected all the emails within the folders and marked them as read. Then closed OE.

I opened up Thunderbird and followed your original instructions importing from OE, everything looked OK, but so did it when importing from Outlook. I clicked on each folder watching the status bar at the bottom of the window ensuring the emails appeared, I then went back to each folder one by one and compacted the emails; everything looked OK, like before then closed Thunderbird.

I copied the xxxx.default directory as per your original instructions to a flash drive and then inserted the drive into my mac; opened up mail; then went File/Import Mailbox, selected Thunderbird mail and followed instructions. You can imagine my shock at seeing that it seems all the emails imported. I then selected individual mailboxes for the emails to appear, checking the status bar, then repeated the process to rebuild. I checked the number of emails imported against the originals, they are all there except one email missing in my Sent box - out of 613, I am not complaining.

I can now move on with my life and enjoy this computer, thanks for sticking with me and provided that inspiriation.

FineWine; I am not sure if this should be posted elsewhere or not. I have a problem since importing, I wanted to move some imported mailboxes into the original "Mailbox" on Mail, but I cannot seem to do so. So, I thought I would create new mailbox under the original "Mailbox" Inbox and copy the emails; but when doing so, the only option I have to put the new mailbox is under the imported mailbox "On My Mac", the other "Mailbox" is not listed nor can I select it to be listed. Can you advise, thanks?

FineWine; I am not sure if this should be posted elsewhere or not. I have a problem since importing, I wanted to move some imported mailboxes into the original "Mailbox" on Mail, but I cannot seem to do so. So, I thought I would create new mailbox under the original "Mailbox" Inbox and copy the emails; but when doing so, the only option I have to put the new mailbox is under the imported mailbox "On My Mac", the other "Mailbox" is not listed nor can I select it to be listed. Can you advise, thanks?
    Glad to hear that the importation all finally went OK for you.

As for the mailbox problem. This is not a problem as such as mail will not do this sooo what I did is that my account/s "Inbox" and "Sent" folders are just that for receiving and sending only. If I wish to file anything I do so under "On my Mac".

When I imported my Tb mail which ended up under "On my Mac" as "Imported Email" I created a "Received" and "Sent" folder under "On my Mac", then I moved (drag & drop) all the folders & sub folders with associated emails from the "Imported Email" into these appropriate boxes. I was then left with an empty "Imported Email" folder which I deleted.

To file away any emails you can just drag & drop or right click select "Move to" etc. whilst in the account/s "Inbox" or "Sent" folders.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Yes it does help thank you, I might put a request into the wish list for Apple to make this job a little easier for future switchers and make the mailbox a little more logical after importing.

Thanks again

For those interested, you can switch between Thunderbird on Mac and PC very easily. I did this yesterday...

The following is paraphrased from elsewhere to save me re-writing it:

Just fire up Thunderbird in OS X, let it create a profile with an account, quit Tbird, copy Mail folders from the XP Thunderbird mail directory (under Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles) into the corresponding directory in OS X (user/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles). Then I started Thunderbird, all my mail was available exactly as on my PC.

Thank you
    1.42 GHz PPC G4, 1 gig ram, OS X 10.5.6

A newbie to Mac here! i want to try this conversion from TB on PC to Mail on my Mac. I have Mail, ver 3.5 on the Mac (new mac) and it has something to import Mailboxes from several programs, including TB. Having ver 3.5, do I still follow the instructions from Finewine just as they are? Wanted to make sure before I make a mistake!

Thanks!

Sorry for the slow reply but been away overseas, but the short answer is Yes

Thanks for this! I managed to save all my emails and bring them across - life saver.

Quote Originally Posted by msoon77 View Post
    Thanks for this! I managed to save all my emails and bring them across - life saver.
    Glad you had success.

BTW I notice that this is your first post - welcome to these forums.

Cheers

Default ten way to use personal domain

Default Ideas?

Hi guys,

Finally converted my hubby to an iMac and have gone through the import process to get everything out of Outlook, into Thunderbird and then out onto the iMac. Everything is great but when we import the file structure to the iMac we get only some of the folders and no contents. Can anyone tell us where we're going wrong? Also, even though I exported all of his address book data from Outlook and into Thunderbird (where it shows up just fine and dandy), I can't see it anywhere in the ******.default folder to then import it to Adress Book.

Any help would be appreciated, my poor hubby is getting rather frustrated!

If you're looking to make this conversion exceedingly painless, consider purchasing O2M from LittleMachine (Link Here). It's about US$10 to buy and exports straight out of Outlook (all versions) and creates data files ready for import into Mail.app, iCal and Address Book.

This was the process I ended up using after messing around with a few others and found it by far the easiest and least painful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast