Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Leopard Mail, Formatting a HD + Mac Newbie Questions

So i got my 2 Macs going today and i love it . Transfered everything including Mail from Outlook 2007 to Leopard mail. I'm just puzzled and annoyed @ the lack of folder options in Mail. For instance, in Outlook i had inbox, sent, outbox, deleted, as well as any other folders i created, and sorted e-mails througout them. Am i missing something here or is Mail really like this ? You're stuck with inbox, sent and thrash folders???

Also a question about formatting a HD. Ive got windows formatted NTFS external USB HD. I've copied everything i needed off it to my Mac. Now i want to format it to NFS+ or.. whatever the mac format is. In disk utilities, on the erase tab, it gives several options for formatting including the FAT. Which one am i to select ??

Thanks ahead
    20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core2Duo, 3GB, 320GB HD

Quote Originally Posted by Emko View Post
    So i got my 2 Macs going today and i love it . Transfered everything including Mail from Outlook 2007 to Leopard mail. I'm just puzzled and annoyed @ the lack of folder options in Mail. For instance, in Outlook i had inbox, sent, outbox, deleted, as well as any other folders i created, and sorted e-mails througout them. Am i missing something here or is Mail really like this ? You're stuck with inbox, sent and thrash folders???

Also a question about formatting a HD. Ive got windows formatted NTFS external USB HD. I've copied everything i needed off it to my Mac. Now i want to format it to NFS+ or.. whatever the mac format is. In disk utilities, on the erase tab, it gives several options for formatting including the FAT. Which one am i to select ??

Thanks ahead
    you can create folders in mail. Click the plus arrow on the bottom left, and they dont call them folders, they call them mailboxes. So create a new mailbox with the location on my mac, and you can choose the name of the mailbox (which even looks like a folder), and then drag and drop emails in there.

As for the formatting, disk utility is definitely the place to be, but im unsure as to which format is most compatible. Also consider if you are going to be using the HDD for just your macs or windows and macs.
    Check out this app and maybe use it to book a restaurant or order some munch. Owned by an Aussie :) App Store link

I can only answer your first query, as I am currently not drunk enough to get the irony of your second.

In Leopard Mail, the Outbox will only appear if you are in the midst of sending something, as mid-send is only a transient procedure.

You can create a Trash Folder in Mail, by pressing: Apple-Command key + 5 key.

As to undeleting Trashed Messages, click on Mail's: Help menu, and type in: Retrieving deleted messages

The Help menu is a spiffy thing.

cheers,

cw

Do you want to be able to Read and Write on your PeeCee with the external?

If so, Fat32. If the External is Mac only, HFS+ With Journalling should suffice.

Don't quote me however. I'm only using my external with my Macs, so its HFS+

This is an email virus for Mac OS X. It works on the honor system. Please start deleting random files on your system and forward this message to everyone in your address book.

Awesome thanks guys. No i wont be needing the HD for pee cee use too, i'm completely done with the PC's after having a mac for only a day . So i will go with the HFS+ with journaling i guess.

And the Mailboxes works great, thanks for that. I just didnt know they actually reffered the folders a mailboxes I thought the mailboxes were in fact different accounts with different Inboxes as such.

I another question is... The actual look/theme or whatever you want to call it, of the my iMac/Leopard system. Mine is kind of like a dull/grey/silver colour and i cannot change it. Seeing other peoples pictures and Macs, the actual look can be more brighter silver almost white. I cant seem to find this option in appearence accept to change the button appearence from blue/graphite. Am i looking in the wrong place to change this? Is it even possibe?

Thanks ahead.

Go to Apple up in the main menu bar, click and scroll down to System Preferences and select desktop. Choose standard pattern or from a folder of your own shots and set.

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

if you open the web browser you see that its a very metallic look. Now click on the desktop while leaving the browser open, you will see it looks much whiter. Could that be it?

check out http://interfacelift.com/ for custom icons and wallpapers and such. Other than that, im not really sure.
    Check out this app and maybe use it to book a restaurant or order some munch. Owned by an Aussie :) App Store link

Thanks guys. Nathan is on the right track to what i'm trying to ask. I think it's a case of lepoard having only one colourfor appearence which is the graphite look. Where as older OS had different visual themese/colours. Oh well.:o

LEOPARD DOESN'T HAVE NORMAL AQUA COLOURS?!?

There is no "Appearance" prefpane in System Preferences then?

Mine (in Tiger) only offers "Blue" or "Graphite" and I used Graphite for a week before it looked too bland.
    Should/Could/Would

It has only blue/graphite as i show it here...

however, selecting either doesnt change anything as far as i can tell, apart from when the buttons are highlited.

As you can see thats the option thats selected, and the window appearence is still the graphite one. No matter what i do. This a bug???? *shrug* Ive only known/used my mac for 24 hours so, i dont know...

Ah, Graphite/Blue interfaces will change how menu items are highlighted, the loading bar in Safari, the scroll bars in windows, the colour of the Apple in the top-left and the colours of the buttons on a window, but not much else.

Perhaps you have seen Macs running UNO ( http://uno.en.softonic.com/mac ).

Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck with the colours of Title Bars and the like.
    Should/Could/Would

So another questions which i do not understand...
    Some apps i install remain on the desktop... for example StuffiT 12 Install 40GB and Microsot Messenger 2GB are still on the desktop... initially i assumed these were the install files, but theyre in fact a part of the app its self seems like it. Is this normal??
    Other apps i installed go straight into the App folder no questions asked.

Well - it's not really using the same Directories principle, as the Windows Operating Systems.

It's best though, to drop an Application into your Application folder. Sure, you can have it on your Desktop and nothing terrible will happen, yet for neatness and an uncluttered screen, drag it into your Applications folder - and you can then either drag it from the Applications folder into your Dock - (as a fast way of accessing it) - or leave it in the Applications folder and access it by clicking on the far-left Finder in your Dock... or clicking on the top-left Apple menu and scrolling down to: Recent Items - and then across and down to find it there.

Many ways of getting to something.

As to your question - there's no set rule that states you must have your Applications in your Applications folder. It just looks a lot neater if it's in there.

Thanks Clock
    I did ask this question for neatness purposes. Because having some apps just sitting there on desktop was a little annoying. Trouble is, when i download an app, in this case messenger, it goes into the download folder, which is fair enough. From there once i click it, it starts unpacking/installing or whatever it does, but straight onto the desktop. But now you've answered it al. I've got it figured now. Self-contained apps. I love it! Not a 's*** hits the fan' scenario like in windows where the app spreads its junk everywhere possible LOL .

Try here for a few more variations. " Themes and Skins " http://interfacelift.com/themes-mac/

Or just Google "Themes OSX " for more results.

Stewie
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by stewiesno1 View Post
    Try here for a few more variations. " Themes and Skins " http://interfacelift.com/themes-mac/

Or just Google "Themes OSX " for more results.

Stewie
    I did look at these. I was just too paranoid at having a go at one of them. I'd hate to have such a new Mac system damaged by a dumb-ass theme . How reliable are these?

YMMV I guess . Check some of the comments and reviews. Try a more well known semi commercial site. They have bug reports submitted from users and try to stamp out any incompatibilities pretty quickly. i don't think you would run into many if any problems anyway. It's basically just a graphics file isn't it , loaded into the system? I would imagine it would be easy to do .

Stewie
    ----------------

Good find Stewie!