Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who else hates Leopard Spotlight

Well, sure it's fast and all, but the "more info" or "find" window in the Finder is horrible.

No more integrated slideshows or information about contacts etc.

What are your thoughts?
    It's one thing to nod, it's another to know.

Tassiecelt Guest

I'm not overly impressed with leopard, Apple is good at hype, thats for sure.
    Coverflow is pretty, but not something I would use every day.

I was hoping for more improvements to mail, addresses and ical, I still remain undecided between those and Entourage.

My biggest beef is that Leopard won't sync with my palm Treo...what use is that?
    Apple say it's down to palm, maybe so, but I'll have to keep my macbook on Tiger until someone fixes it.

I love spotlight. Does everything I need. but i mainly use it for apps not as much emails and files

Quote Originally Posted by Simo View Post
    I love spotlight. Does everything I need. but i mainly use it for apps not as much emails and files
    I'm finding it tends to hide files it doesn't really want to you find.

I.e. if you're not searchign for a document or a user-generated/modified file it's hard to find stuff.
    [B]| Flickr | blog | MacTalk Podcaster | Official PM-Bid Hater #1

One of the only things I like about Leopard is how when searching for something in Spotlight the 'Top Hit' is automatically selected.

It saves me an extra 0.5 of second.

I haven't got Leopard yet but I was hoping they added what spilla said. It annoys me in Tiger the way it doesn't select the top hit.

Edge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by arkenstone View Post
    i.e. if you're not searching for a document or a user-generated/modified file it's hard to find stuff.
    The */LIbrary directories are no longer indexed, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by spilla
    One of the only things I like about Leopard is how when searching for something in Spotlight the 'Top Hit' is automatically selected.
    Applications come up immediately, which makes it more like Quicksilver.

So in answer to rickyd, it's not perfect, but it shits all over 10.4.

rtc Guest

I thought at first that the "show all" window in tiger (groupings, sorting, info etc) shat all over the leopard one. The leopard one is just the poncy old "finder" results not "spotlight" results at all.

However the path bar I absolutely love (not just for searches) and I welcome it back from pre-osx days, so there is a totally different approach to utilising your total search results than tiger's spotlight got us used to. It's not worse, it's just you need to be using it a different way to get the best out of it.

EDIT: The most important thing is that leopard's spotlight is way way quicker than tiger's and this is by far the most important thing I reckon.

You have a point there rtc.
    It's one thing to nod, it's another to know.

I didn't like it in Tiger, I don't like it in Leopard.
    I keep things sorted instead.

I like it - it's faster!

Quote Originally Posted by Tassiecelt View Post
    My biggest beef is that Leopard won't sync with my palm Treo...what use is that?
    Mark/Space have a beta version of The Missing Sync that is compatible with Leopard: http://www.markspace.com/leopard.html.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
    I didn't like it in Tiger, I don't like it in Leopard.
    I keep things sorted instead.
    +1

I use the Leopard spotlight as a Quicksilver replacement because it is much faster than the Tiger one was. Quicksilver used to crash on me every now and then, and I only ever used it as an App launcher anyway. Spotlight does the job now.

Spotlight on leopard is great...
    And no more of that silly show all window, it goes to the Finder as it should. Although unfortunately it won't let you order things by kind as easily as Tiger spotlight does.
    "Every act of creation is first of all an act of destruction." - Pablo Picasso

Tassiecelt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by luke_in_tas View Post
    Mark/Space have a beta version of The Missing Sync that is compatible with Leopard: http://www.markspace.com/leopard.html.
    Thanks Luke, I did try Missing Sync a while back and had difficulty getting it to work, I even bought it.
    I might try again later as my understanding of Macs grows.

lovin leopard..
    lovin spotlight
    Kuma's Tales now on Tumblr

I hated the Tiger all results window. Going to a Finder window makes much more sense.

Love the speed of Leopard's Spotlight. Haven't used it enough to find anything strange. Certainly makes a good app launcher now.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyd View Post
    No more integrated slideshows
    QuickLook is where you'll find the slideshow features (select multiple items, space, then full screen).

For the most part I am fine with Leopard's spotlight. I have found that on occasion it hasn't been able to find a pdf document for me, until I navigate to it in finder. Then suddenly, spotlight is able to see it if I search again.
    Could be an issue with an incomplete index, but I don't know.
    Something about Jimby.

Spotlight has replaced QuickSilver/Namely/LaunchBar for me. It lets me quickly open applications without any fuss, and it's always there on all my Macs. I also find it convenient for opening Address Book contacts.
    MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 15" | iMac Core 2 Duo 20"
    iPod 5G 30GB | iPod nano 4GB | Apple TV 40GB | iPhone 3G 8GB

I love spotlight in leopard. IT is instant! ITs either that or windows xp search.....eww.

Off topic I do agree with TassieCelt. Apple were really good at spin this time and only a good 50% of what they promised got into leopard which isnt good enough.
    Sick of Bullshit? Go here
    www.youngausskeptics.com

iBook 14'' 1GB Ram, MBP(santa) 15" 4GB ram, iPod Nano(3G) 4gb, iPod shuffle 512mb, iPod Touch 8gb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast