Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default solution

Quote Originally Posted by NathR32 View Post
    Im in the exact same position as you. 857-E. Same firmware, no region changes left. I'm locked to Region 4 so its ok as most of my DVDs are R$ but I'd love to change it if I have a DVD with a different region.
    You can download the firmware update for UJ-857E, Rev ZA0E here.

Hope this helps

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through using Terminal and Simple Flash to run the hack in Leopard. There is an easier method.

The firmware hacks do work under Leopard, you just have to edit SystemVersion.plist which is found in the CoreServices directory (path - MacintoshHD/System/Library/CoreServices). Change the OS Product version listed in the code from 10.5.x to 10.4.y (where y>5). You'll need to change the permissions on this file and its containing folders before you can save the changes. After that run the appropriate 'Ben11' firmware hack and it'll go. Make sure to change the version back before you restart.

astr0b0y Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PCGuy View Post
    Seems like a lot of trouble to go through using Terminal and Simple Flash to run the hack in Leopard. There is an easier method.

The firmware hacks do work under Leopard, you just have to edit SystemVersion.plist which is found in the CoreServices directory (path - MacintoshHD/System/Library/CoreServices). Change the OS Product version listed in the code from 10.5.x to 10.4.y (where y>5). You'll need to change the permissions on this file and its containing folders before you can save the changes. After that run the appropriate 'Ben11' firmware hack and it'll go. Make sure to change the version back before you restart.
    This doesn't work for many users.

Quote Originally Posted by miCHx View Post
    hi there

firstly: thanks for this great post. as i am not a computer-nerd, i'm glad, i found one, i actually understand .

still i've got this problem: if i understood the things i read 'til now right, it's quite important to have the right firmware-update and if it's the wrong one it'll ruin my drive. so, i found a lot information about the 857-drive. now i've got a 857E-drive. does it make a difference? here's all the information about my drive:

Vendor: MATSHITA
    Model: DVD-R UJ-857E
    Firmware: ZA0E
    RPC-2 (region locked)
    State is PERMANENT
    4 vendor resets left
    0 region change left
    Region 2

can i flash it?
    yes - here's the output from my mac with the exact same drive firmware

DVD Info X v1.0.1, by xvi (xvi@rpc1.org)

WARNING --- DVD Info X will only list DVD drives that have some WRITE
    capabilities, like combos, DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc...
    DVD-ROM-only drives will NOT be listed.
    WARNING --- You also must eject any inserted medium to list the drive.

Model: DVD-R UJ-857E
    Firmware: ZA0E
    RPC-1 (region free)

Guys I have a Superdrive in my 24" iMac
    and the following is what I get from DVD info X
    Model: DVD-R UJ-875
    Firmware: DB09
    RPC-2 (region locked)
    State is SET
    4 vendor resets left
    4 region changes left
    Region 4
    it seem that there is no RCP1 firmware for my superdrive
    Can anyone confirm tat?
    Thanks a lor

An alternative Solution is to rip the DVD to your hard drive, where you can de-region etc and just mount it on your hard drive using dvd player or VLC. If you have a fast external dvd burner drive it takes about 14 minutes I've found. So that's not too long to wait really
     iMac 27" i7  iPhone 5 64GB.

Quote Originally Posted by benzoenator View Post
    I googled around, but I couldn't see anything. I'm running a MATSHITA UJ-875, and I can't find a firmware hack for it. Does one exist? :P
    Same - have left this info in a separate thread but unfortunately still nothing

Unhappy Should've Been Easy...but

...leave it to computer illiterate person like me to do something wrong.

The step-by-step process seemed easy enough to follow, but I have come across two problems.

First, Apple SuperDrive Firmware 2.1 is no longer available for download, so I settled for v2.0.

The second issue I came across was using Simple Flash. From the menu bar, I selected Shell>New Command and type "/Applications/SimpleFlash UJ857-HAEA-MBP-rpc1.dat" in order to locate the file directory. The result of this is:

PERMISSION DENIED
    [Process completed]

Any other combination of directory information that I type before the file name gives me the message "No such file or directory"

I need help.

For those still looking to flash a DVD drive to RPC1, this page helped a lot for me:
    MacBook-fr - DVD : Region Free (EN)

the SuperDrive firmware 2.1 is available from that page, along with easy to use firmware flashers for the various drives.
    MBP 2.4GHz | 4GB | 160GB + 500GB Little Big Disk Quadra | 17" + 20" ACD | BT600
    Mac Mini 2GHz | 4GB | 120GB + 1000GB d2 Quadra + 500GB d2 Quadra + 4000GB Biggest Quadra (TM)
    Linksys AM300 | Airport Extreme Dual Band | AppleTV 40GB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2