Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iBook issues

Default iBook issues

My iBook died a few weeks ago, and I got a new/refurb's Macbook Pro. My issue with the iBook was the bouncing beach ball of death, not being able to o anything....anyway, my new question is:

Can I wipe out the hard drive on the iBook, so that I can start from scratch basically. I took out the RAM and tied it, still does the same issue, restarted from the disks, which showed no logic board issues. Now that all my stuff is on the MBP, I want to see if I can salvage the iBook for resale.

Any ideas? I only have the iBook and the MBP, no other gear unfortunately!

Thanks!
    "The doctor says my nose will stop bleeding if I keep my finger outta there" - Ralph Wiggum

"I can see through time....." - Lisa Simpson after eating Apu's curry

Target disk mode? Connect the two machines using a firewire cable then turn on the iBook holding down the T-key until you see the firewire symbol. The HD of the ibook will appear on the desktop of the MBP.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Can I then somehow delete what is on the iBook hdd, then reinstall Tiger? And to fully erase the hard drive, do I go into disk utility and select erase? Never done this before, don't want to end up erasing everything on the wrong machine!
    "The doctor says my nose will stop bleeding if I keep my finger outta there" - Ralph Wiggum

Correct.

Erase with disk utility and then boot off your Tiger DVD and run the installer.

In fact you could boot up the iBook via the DVD and delete it that way as well.

Disk utility won't let you delete the drive you have run it from.

Once you launch disk utility on the MPB with the iBook as a Firewire target disk it should be obvious which disk is the iBook's
    Remember when Apple was the little upstart?

Are there two sticks of Ram in the iBook ? If there was two ,I'd put one in and try it. If same result as before swap them around and boot again. You should at least be able to establish whether the RAM is faulty or not before going any further.
    The other thing is that this series of iBook is notorious for their Logicboard problems even though yours may not be exhibiting any of the symptoms. Just trying to narrow down the potential causes here.

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

Thanks for that! I took out the RAM (running 256 now), did not fix the problem. The hardware check disk showed no logic board fault, but it has to be something. In the middle of deleting everything and reinstalling Tiger, see if that fixes the problem. I will keep you posted!

Ok, I may have further problems with the iBook.....I put the Tiger install disc in, hit erase and install, now all I have when I turn it on is a blue screen....nothing else.

I firewired it to the MBP, found the hard drive, and it shows close to 90 GB of free space. So it got erased, but now what?? I got a blue screen! Is there some magic key stroke combo I need to hit when I start it up to get to another screen.....?? And is Tiger installed? How can I tell. Do I hold down the "c" key when I power up to get it to start?

Tried the G4 install disk, to see if there were any hardware issues. It said all was fine. Still can't get past the initial blue screen. Any ideas what is going on? The initial starting OSX bar only goes about half way, then it stops. Very wierd....

Deano

Did you do as Currawong suggested - start the iBook in Taget Disk mode while connected to the MBP?

From the MBP you can run Disk Utility on the iBook, as well as install the OS.

Which model is it exactly - the iBook?

mutters

It's a G4, 1.2.....

Um....how would a person DO what you suggested, going into the target disc, etc....I'm not so good with this sort of stuff....do I firewire them together, then pick the iBook hard drive, open up the disk utility....but how do you install the OS? I'll see if I can do the first part....

I firewired them together, but now when I insert the Tiger disk and select it, it says that OSX is not supported on this machine.....??? How do I install it to the iBook now? Or can I?

Quote Originally Posted by aussiedeano View Post
    I firewired them together, but now when I insert the Tiger disk and select it, it says that OSX is not supported on this machine.....??? How do I install it to the iBook now? Or can I?
    Do you see the iBook in System preferences on the MBP - startup disk?

If so, you should be able to re-format it via the OSX disk in the MBP.

Don't give up!

mutters

BTW this model shouldn't have logic board problems, they were back in the first lot of 867Mhz machines as far as I recall.

Ahhh G4 1.2 . Shouldn't be a prob with the logicboard then - or not one of the more common ones anyway.

Stewie
    ----------------

If you get stuck on the Firewire TDM here is a guide from the Apple site.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

Stewie
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by stewiesno1 View Post
    If you get stuck on the Firewire TDM here is a guide from the Apple site.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

Stewie
    Good link

Although it still doesn't tell you you can do an OS install to the Target Disk via this mode.

mutters

Dumb question but does the Tiger DVD do the checking media thing before running the installer or does it go the blue screen after you boot up?

Holding down C will when rebooting boots of the CD/DVD drive. If you have booted in Firewire Target disk mode, pop the TIger install disk in the MPB and install tiger on the iBook's drive. That should still work. Once you have done the full install you should be able to reboot the iBook.

Make sure the RAM and Airport Card are seated properly, and that the power cord is providing power as well.
    Remember when Apple was the little upstart?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutters View Post
    Do you see the iBook in System preferences on the MBP - startup disk?

If so, you should be able to re-format it via the OSX disk in the MBP.

Don't give up!

mutters

BTW this model shouldn't have logic board problems, they were back in the first lot of 867Mhz machines as far as I recall.
    It only shows me the MBP hard disk and network startup......

I tried to install Tiger from the MBP, popped the disk in and selected it, but it is still saying I cannot install on this machine....is there a special way to install Tiger from the MBP to the iBook? Do I just click on install and select a spot to install, or do I drag and drop???? Sorry I'm not very 'puter smart......need to get me some more learnin'!

I just assumed you could seeing as Apple invented bloody Firewire , however I could be wrong . If you can do network installs over ethernet then I would assume you could do it via TDM over Firewire.
    I guess one of the gurus here will be able to tell us in due course.

Stewie

Edit :
    Well scouring the interwebs reveals that yes you can do this. see here...
    http://lowendmac.com/misc/06/0914.html
    One of the other points raised in the Apple article above also gives a few caveats for the firmware.
    And another point is whether your HD inside the iBook is set to slave instead of master. If it is set to slave you will not be able to install the OS via TDM.

Stewie.
    ----------------

It must be me. I'm no good at troubleshooting this stuff. I've turned the iBook off, restarted it in firewire mode (hold down the T on power up), can see the hard drive on the MBP, but can't do anything else. I dragged and dropped the Tiger install app from the disk, but it says I can't install it on this machine.....

When I go out of firewire mode and try and reboot the iBook, I get stuck at the blue screen. ARRGGHH!!!!! Frustrating......

Anyway, I have no idea what is wrong, someone may just pick up a bargain G4 in great shape!

I'm getting the feeling your iBook's HD might be cactus.

When you run the OSX installer it should ask you which disk you want it on.

But you're saying that it won't accept the iBook as a valid location.

How about formatting the iBook's HD from the MBP using Disk Utility - will it let you do that?

Running out of ideas here.

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you?

mutters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast