Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Problem recognising a wireless network

My wife's Macbook is visiting my office and I cannot get it to recognise my office network - it's an all Mac network connected to a Belkin router. When I pull down the little airport symbol on her computer, I don't get a list of networks with "Other...", nor do I get an option to Creat a Network. I suspect that someone's been messing about with VPN stuff (which she doesn't use), as the little ray symbol is shaded pale grey with a darker grey arrow rising through the centre of it. Not sure if I've provided enough information for someone to help me with this!

Cheers, Andrew
    At our place: iMac 27" / 2 x iMac24" 3.06Ghz / 2 x MBA 13.3" + 11.6" / iPod Touch 16Gb / 2 x iPhones 4 64Gb + 3GS 32Gb / 3 x Airport Express / 1Tb Time Capsule

If the network is "closed" then it wont broadcast its name for machines to pick up. If you know the network name, you can connect to it.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Pop into the Internet Sharing section of the Sharing Pane in System Preferences to see if sharing is turned on. I think that's what the little arrow you are talking about is referencing.
    President (and only member) of the Hockey Puck and Mighty Mouse Appreciation Society