Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Ok, so I'm running down Queen St Brisbane and my 15" Tibook flies out of my back pack and you guessed it, its a write off.

A painful experience yes, but also a window of oppurtunity! I need a new PB, I'm not handling this cold turkey withdrawal very well!

I know you have all checked out the new PB's. I will be using it for tasks including word processing, lots of excel, watching DVD's, using iPhoto, photoshop and GarageBand, networking, playing games, reading/study (in bed, on the road). I would be using it mainly as a desktop replacement at home but also carrying it in a laptop backpack to uni and work.

I have used a 12" (found it a bit small), and have owned the TiBook for about a year. I love (loved) my 15", but I am liking the sound of the 17" inchers, but maybe they are a bit oversized and cumbersome? Is the 15" the ultimate size?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

yup the 15 is the best IMHO
    17 is a little big to be a portable.
    i consider the 17 a desktop that can be used as a portable.
    the 12 and 15 a portables that can be used as desktops.

Originally posted by josh_c@Feb 21 2005, 01:27 PM
    ...carrying it in a laptop backpack to uni and work.
    15", definitely.

-Ronin with Scissors

17" is a desktop - if you're talking about Acer 17" laptops.

The Apple 17" powerbook is very portable, i've said many times that i carried mine to and from work daily on public transport with no issues at all. It's light, it's thin. The "not portable" bit is the width, but that's fine - it sits well in a backpack.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

I just made the switch from 15" PC notebook to a 15" PowerBook (still waiting&#33. I was seriously considering the 12" (because it so compact), but as this is a desktop replacement for me I went the 15" again - it also seems to be the most popular and I think that although the 17" is awesome, it is quite large to be carrying around (for me personally).

HTH

Cheers
    Kristine

17" all the way
    Cubicle Chronicles

1.67ghz 17" Powerbook with a gig and a half of ram. I want to touch myself.

Originally posted by josh_c@Feb 21 2005, 01:27 PM
    Ok, so I'm running down Queen St Brisbane and my 15" Tibook flies out of my back pack and you guessed it, its a write off.

that makes me feel sick LOL!!!

i hope that the next pBook gets a bag that doesn't allow that to ever happen AGAIN!!

as for 15 vs 17....

i'm tempted to get a 17 next time around, just because the screen real estate would be nice to have - maybe join a gym and get those biceps and back muscles a bit more toned
    15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.6Ghz 6Gb RAM, 320GB 7200 HDD, 512 VRAM & 23" Cinema Display
    3g iPod 30GB & 4g iPod photo 60GB & 512Mb shuffle & 2g shuffle & iPod touch 8GB
    & 3G iPhone 16Gb

flickr

15'' all the way
    I have no successful trades

Bummer about the TiBook, but roll on the new PB. I'd have to go with the 15". I use mine as a desktop replacement as well as travelling with work. The 17" is awesome, but when at least 50% of it's time is being carted around, the 15" makes more sense to me. Hence mine is the 15".
    More Mac stuff than my wife approves of...

For this question your better off listening to oweners opinions as people just assume its hard to lug around

17" is portable, i took mine anywhere and it fits in most bags either through their custom made pouches or buying a slimline case and placing the unit in a larger bag.

Only downside to using a 17" laptop is that you can never go back to using a smaller screen! I think that the 20" LCD's are small now that i use a 23"!

A bit off topic - Read if you can be bothered
    This wasnt part of the question but i think that if your getting a $4k laptop, and you want portability and power its better to get an iMac G5 for $2149 and 12" powerbook combo $2110 or ibook 14"

Its around the same price depending on what you get and you get the best of both worlds.

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

17" is Lapzilla! It's far too big in my opinion to use on the go. It's good for taking between home and office, that's about it I feel :P

Also, when you DO buy it go to Infinite Systems on Charlotte st. Basically the only decent mac reseller in Brisbane.

The 17" seems very light to me - it might be a bit too wide for some people thou. If the 17" screen on the Powerbook had better resolution I would say the 17" but right now the 15" wins. Its the perfect balance.

But if IMO the 12" is the coolest.
    Successful Trades Byde, benny gsr, BiRDBRAiN, neilrobinson, scruffie, kewpid, MacUser, Daz, BrettO, Cam

12" is cool, 17" is great if you have the cash!

Grab the 17" if you can, you'll love it for sure