Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Leopard: Upgrade or Fresh install?

Having never faced this issue, as this is my first Mac, what is the best way to go about installing Leopard?

At this stage I will do a full backup to a Lacie FW800 Hdd via SuperDuper, in case of hassles.

But from here do I wipe and do a fresh install and copy over Documents etc? Is it possible to sync settings like bookmarks from the backup ? ( I have a .Mac so I can do bookmarks + addressbook anyway over the net ).

Or, is it just as good to run upgrade?

I certainly don't mind reloading apps and stuff, as it is so much easier on a Mac.!!!!!

I'll be doing an upgrade but still making a backup beforehand.

OSX seems to handle upgrading a lot better than windows does :P

Fresh install every time for me.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Fresh install for sure, my imac is running slower than my macbook pro (same cpu/RAM)

Do a fresh install!

it will be interesting to see how Time Machine works with backing up the existing hard disk before install...

Not long until we find out...
    iPad 2 (64Gb GSM), 32Gb iPhone 4 (4.3.2), 24" iMac 2.8 C2D, 15" MBP i7 2.8GHz, Apple TV 160 Gb.

I'm surprised at the responses... I thought everyone was going to say "upgrade - OS X is designed to work flawlessly this way".

Fresh install every time for me too.

Fresh install, always feels like a new computer...

Fresh install, none of those left over fragments of files
    Check out this app and maybe use it to book a restaurant or order some munch. Owned by an Aussie :) App Store link

I am thinking I need a fresh install. Only thing I am worried about is my Firefox boomarks..any way to back these up? Cheers

Fresh install, as I derive some form of sick pleasure from configuring a new environment to my precise requirements.

My iMac G4 originally came installed with Jaguar and I've only ever upgraded (Panther, Tiger). I've never had any problems, although I do run a defrag roughly every six months.

I'll probably just upgrade the iMac again this time, but my MacBook will get a clean install.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.wilson View Post
    I am thinking I need a fresh install. Only thing I am worried about is my Firefox boomarks..any way to back these up? Cheers
    make a copy of ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/qn87hqi6.default/bookmarks.html

where qn87hqi6 will be some random string.

It's true there's nothing quite like a fresh install to make you feel as though you have a new computer, but keep a backup of your HD to bring accross prefs, app support folders etc.. i haven't deleted mine since reinstalling last week with 10.4.10.

For firefox you can export your bookmarks as a file under Bookmarks/Organise bookmarks then go to the 'File' menu /Export.
    iMac C2Duo, MacBook Pro C2Duo, iPhone 3Gs
    Tradies : applecollector / thatfilthyspringbok / decryption / mwot / c3017474 / wowbagger / squozen / jarrodb / jaysee

Thanks guys! Fresh install for me then! =) I too like starting new and getting it right with a bit of a spring clean thrown in!

so if i have a super duper backup, what do i do to bring everything back over after a fresh install?
    [infinite::resolution]

OK, so as per last time I'll do a fresh install. In doing so I'll back up to my external drive, which has the one volume (i.e. not partitioned in any way)..

So, when I copy that information back after the Fresh Install, and it begins to run time machine, will time machine simply wipe that external drive and start doing its thing?

Time Machine worries me.

Suitcase somewhere between Melbourne and Brisbane

I use foxmarks to sync my bookmarks between a few computers I use, but this would also be a lazy backup option

As for the upgrade, even if I wasn't getting a new machine, I'd do a reinstall anyway, due to the large amounts of stuff compiled by hand and then a combination of macports and fink mess all over the place
    Brisbane Cocoaheads | App Fission | Tune Locator - find nearby radio stations on your iPhone

Backup. Fresh installs all round.

I'd back everything up by drag and drop to your external hard drive, then install leopard. Drag everything back to your computer.

Then wipe the external hard drive, then run time machine.

That should get it all going without any problems.
    Check out this app and maybe use it to book a restaurant or order some munch. Owned by an Aussie :) App Store link

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast