Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hey Dudes,

I just bought a new external DVD burner for my Mac Mini from the local computer parts shop down the road.
    It's a Pioneer something something something. I've got it running through the USB, but it doesn't show up on the desktop like my external hardrive does.
    When i put in a DVD tho it'll start playing as normal.
    The problem i'm having is in teh actual burning process. When i use DiscBlaze or Roxio Toast Titanium, the thing won't even start to burn.
    I've got a feeling that it's because i haven't installed teh actual drive yet, but the bloody CD i got with it is a PC disc ARRR!

Can anyone help me out with this? It'd be GREATLY appreciated...

Dobbo.
    "There Is No Devil, Just God When He's Drunk"

What does it say about the drive in system profiler? It has to be apple shipped/supported to work mate. Also it wont show on the desktop like a HDD unless you know something i dont.
    MBP5,2 17" ,16GB IPhone 4S.

Try patching the drive with PatchBurn ( http://www.patchburn.de/ ) a great little app that should make your drive work with finder, itunes, iphoto, and perhaps iDVD (if u have iLife '05, u can make a DVD image to burn onto DVD with Disk Utility/Toast)

see the FAQ: http://www.patchburn.de/faq.html

edit: unlike external hard drives, external (and built-in) DVD drives don't show up on the desktop unless there is a CD/DVD in them, (which is a logical way of doing it, really)

edit *again*: was Toast supplied with the DVD burner, or did u purchase it separately? If it came with the burner, it should work, so...

can u burn with iTunes/iDVD?