Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Mmmm...OK. I'll think on it. Doesn't seem right to be getting copies for nothing though - it took Microsoft something to make them... What does everyone else think??
    MacBook Pro 2.16, 2G, 256mb, 100G HD.

Successful Trades: Lissay, hMc, Sean, smilne360, grfxninja, Galumay, faulks, smidge, camel, jleetj, hMc

(For everybody else) I offered to let him use one of my legit keys (For Free)

Its not stealing (As i already paid for them)

The reason in the terms i agreed to (When i purchased the subscription) that they are only for personal use.

Is because they dont want people buying the sub (and selling keys) as it would cut into their retail sales (Which it would)
    Gold Coast Parks - My website/blog on Australia's Favourite Theme Parks
    MBA 13"
    iPad 3 64GB 3G

Quote Originally Posted by iThinkMac View Post
    Mmmm...OK. I'll think on it. Doesn't seem right to be getting copies for nothing though - it took Microsoft something to make them... What does everyone else think??

Microsoft use prisoners for cd production and packaging so i wouldn't worry about that too much.

I can not say for sure with vista, but with XP I have been able to use a hp oem version with bootcamp no problems. I just need the key from the machine and needed to activate the install twice - once for boot camp and once for parallels accessing bootcamp - i had to ring m$ they had no problem giving me the activation code

I'm not wanting to change the tack of this thread, but since you asked, I'll answer.

The text you quoted has no application to a secular quandary like this. It was specifially talking about the relationship that a Christain is to sustain with a non-Christian. It's saying that an unbeliver has opposite goals and aspirations to a believer, therefore the two can't walk together in an intimate relationship. Nothing relating to Vista here!

I understand that this was in jest, but please don't use the Bible and misapply and joke using it in this thread.

Thankyou

PS Now back to the Vista problem....anymore ideas?
    okay - point taken.
    I love the word of God and was merely attempting a little humor - which fell short of the mark obviously.
    though you were describing an inability of 2 systems to walk/work together. sorry again.

on topic - XP seems to work far more smoothly with bootcamp than does vista. a few of our local Mac group have favored XP for simplicity - awaiting Leopard before shifting to vista.
    good luck

Also consider that the install disc is essentially worthless - it's the valid license key that you pay for. As long as you purchased a valid license you could install from any media.

The only problem with your LG key is that it may be an OEM key requiring an OEM disc. In most cases though the key actually given to you will be full retail.

With XP there were "OEM Keys" , A friend @ MS (Havent worked out for myself) told me with Vista, they are apperently all Universal
    MBA 13"
    iPad 3 64GB 3G

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    I'm pretty sure the OEM licence states that the CD key can only be used on the PC it came with and that's it.
    Well that sounds like arse.
    WTB: Elgato Turbo.264
    MacBook 2.0Ghz Black 2/120Gb OSX
    Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 2/160Gb 5400 OSX

Will an non-specific version of Vista (say one I buy at Harvey Norman or something) work on a partition? Can I install Vista on an external HD?

Successful Trades: Lissay, hMc, Sean, smilne360, grfxninja, Galumay, faulks, smidge, camel, jleetj, hMc

Yes it will work on a partion, yes you can (On a PC) I guess you can do it on a Mac if you boot from USB or Firewire (Not Sure).
    MBA 13"
    iPad 3 64GB 3G

It will work on a partition but you can not install it on an external harddrive. Windows stops and starts the usb drivers when booting - it just wont work

Yea, this is really a case of throwing my LG vista copy away, as the LG owner doesn't like it (compatibility etc.), and it won't go on the mac partition.

Duh.

I've had another good look at the BootCamp manual, and it certainly looks as if you SHOULD be able to select a partition to install to...What if I go and buy a brand new Vista copy from a computer store (not an LG one) - will that give me the option? I'm wondering if LG cut the option out...

I've had another good look at the BootCamp manual, and it certainly looks as if you SHOULD be able to select a partition to install to...What if I go and buy a brand new Vista copy from a computer store (not an LG one) - will that give me the option? I'm wondering if LG cut the option out...
    There's something weird going on there for sure. I had no trouble installing it to a separate partition...

I think you should go with the offer from whoever it was for a $0 cd, you have a legal licence key. If you go and spend $300 and it doesnt work, you are going to be pretty ticked off, I'd imagine.

You also might want to consider trying an install to VMWare or Parallels first. You might hate Vista and not bother with it any further. Don't spend the money unless you are sure its what you want and need.

True...Appreciate your thoughts. I might even borrow retail Vista and see if it works....I only need to put the disc in and get to the install screen to know if it'll work.

True...Appreciate your thoughts. I might even borrow retail Vista and see if it works....I only need to put the disc in and get to the install screen to know if it'll work.
    I can assure you that the full retail version of Vista will work as expected and allow you to select a partition for the installation. I have done this numerous times. The only reason you ran into trouble here is because your disc is an OEM licensed copy and the terms of the licence (and therefore the design of the disc) do not allow for transfer to another machine.

Instead it is designed to restore your machine to the state in which it was shipped to you (perhaps with the aid of some additional discs to add vendor specific software.)
    nard

OKay! Thanks nard. Now I know...I'll have a think on that. Thanks a lot guys...

iTM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3