Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Ľ Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Extremely unfathomable firefox issue. (Completely brainbending)

The problem Firefox: will not log on to particular sites, like the sign in link on eBay for example, nothing happens, same for hotmail sign in.

Tried it in the spare admin account and it works fine. So that narrows it down to something in the home folder. To cut a long story short I dropped the entire FireFox folder that sits in ~/Library/ApplicationSupport from the testing account straight into the same spot and the problem remained.

OK I thought that eliminates firefox, so I just removed the entire ~/Library/Caches folder, and tried again, that didn't help. Tried the same thing with the ~/Library/Preferences folder, also no good. That left the ~/Library/InternetPlugins, emptied that, still didn't help.

So that's about it. A complete brick wall. It works in the testing account but will not work in the main account even with every folder where I thought a problem could be, removed.

Any suggestions?

Is the problem essentially that Firefox is not registering a login 'click' - whether with the mouse or with the Enter button?

If so I'm having the same problem. The first time a field is used it's fine, but the next time it just won't register a click unless the whole page is reloaded.
    Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.

- Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Change to Camino.... I have never had a problem with it.
    Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?

Ever installed anything like PeerGuardian, or anything to encrypt/anonymise torrent downloads? I had something similarly inexplicable once and that was the culprit.

The sites that you refer to seem to be "secure" https sites. Do you have something set in the proxies that stops this working?

(I ask because I went about 3 years with IE5 doing this at my work until I finally figured out that I needed to add the https proxy!)

I suspect it's actaully a keychain access (hd/apps/utilities) issue. You probably have more than 1 listing in there for that address and it doesent assume one particular one takes precedence. Try looking for the url/site in there and delete any multiple listings for it, or all of them for the site(s) and start fresh.

Should get results. Or at least i hope it does. The logic is sound.
    iMac C2Duo, MacBook Pro C2Duo, iPhone 3Gs
    Tradies : applecollector / thatfilthyspringbok / decryption / mwot / c3017474 / wowbagger / squozen / jarrodb / jaysee

Hi thanks for the replies, the keychain thing looked promising but there were no keychains for either address.

No proxies set up. But remember it can't be anything withing FF because when I dropped the testing account firefox folder in App support that worked on my tesing account it didn't work in the current account

No strange torrent stuff, but all apps are installed for the whole computer anyway. I just tried removing the entire Application Support folder and restarted FF, it made a new app support folder with a FF subfolder but that also did not solve the problem.

I can log into a different account and it works fine.

When I first installed FF 2.2.0 only a few weeks back , I dragged its icon to the dock so I could launch it there. Only problem was everytime I clicked on it , I would get the spinning beach ball and have to do a forced quit. I had a webpage I saved to the desktop and found if I double clicked on that , then went to the site I was after FF was fine. It appeared faster and better than Safari. A week ago it detected an update to take it to vers 2.0.0.7 so I downloaded and installed it. Now I can click on the FF dock icon and it is fine. No more spinning beach ball or probs. This is on a Sawtooth with 10.3.9
    Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

Default Stopped using Camino

I'm using FireFox as my primary browser after getting sick of Camino instability, but it has its quirks.

F'rinstance, it often won't log on to Gmail; Safari has no such problem. But Safari loves to crash in the background.

Thinking of OmniWeb!
    Outside of a dog, a book is manís best friend. Inside of a dog, itís too dark to read. Groucho Marx
    Facebook | MLKSHK

Quote Originally Posted by vivid2 View Post
    Thinking of OmniWeb!
    OmniWeb is my environment of choice. I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone, and others have an aversion to paying for what they can get for free, but considering the amount of time I spend in a web browser it's a small price to pay. I currently have in excess of 50 tabs open, which is a common occurrence and as such, I benefit greatly from the extra screen real estate provided by their display in the side panel. The shortcuts and workspaces have also become invaluable components of my daily workflow. Previously, I did have an issue with its stability however the latest development builds are rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by vivid2 View Post
    I'm using FireFox ...
    F'rinstance, it often won't log on to Gmail;
    This problem I'm having at the moment is isolated to a single account on one computer, it's fine in other accounts on the same computer which is why I'm trying to solve this problem as it must be inside a home folder but I cannot detect where.

On my other computer (emac 10.4.10) running the FF, everything is fine, including logging on to Gmail.

Why don't you test your copy of FF in a different user account to see if it logs on to G mail there.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus1000 View Post
    Change to Camino.... I have never had a problem with it.

Camino is much more mac friendly than firefox.

EDIT:
    P.S. have you tried iCab? or Opera?
    Successful Trades: brains, mivory, jmd, neoxide, gregh, Byrd, midnight_e,

"Mac killed my inner child" - Hunter Cressall

Quote Originally Posted by Beast5500 View Post

Camino is much more mac friendly than firefox.

EDIT:
    P.S. have you tried iCab? or Opera?
    I've been an opera user for a long time and so I kept on using it when I switched to Mac earlier in the year. Still very happy with it - very few sites have any problems. Opera consistently outperforms the other browsers in rendering tests. I would encourage everyone to check it out especially when 9.5 is released later in the year.

bleh, after all the browers Ive used Opera has been the best, but it takes too long for me to load, and causes some problems for me regarding some sites not completely loading. now I use safari most of the time.

Seeing as we are now on the topic of browsers, I must say that I'd prefer to use Safari if it offered me the usability that I want. I'm not really concerned with 'rendering times' as it's all pretty well instant.

The main issue I have with Safari is being able to manage my bookmarks properly, I can't even put some javascript in a bookmark without it getting crocked.

Also I like to be able to manage my passwords and cookies like I can in FF, and there are some FF extensions I can't do without like no squint, but I would do without if there were better password and cookie management.

Quote Originally Posted by gallet View Post
    The main issue I have with Safari is being able to manage my bookmarks properly, I can't even put some javascript in a bookmark without it getting crocked.
    The thing is, browsers weren't designed to have JS in their bookmarks, you've just found that it does work in FF.

Opera doesn't even do anything for me if I try bookmarking some JS

Have you attempted booting into Safe Mode and then testing FireFox ?

Shutdown your Mac completely. Then turn it back on with your shift key held down. It may take a little longer to boot up, yet when it does, it will look exactly the same, except it will tell you that you are in Safe Mode.

Are you able to access those sites in FireFox, in Safe Mode?

AddIt:

Safe Mode is a good way to troubleshoot the unfathomable - however - certain OS X features won't work while in Safe Mode - such as AirPort - thus testing FireFox in Safe Mode requires you have an Ethernet connection to the internet.

Wayhey! good call Clockwork, that did the trick, as I have already eliminated everything else I went through all the log in items. This reminded me of doing an extension conflict search from the old days.

Anyway I narrowed it down to little snitch, yes, embarrassingly enough somehow port 443 was in denial.

Can't understand how that could possibly have happened as it starts with that port open by default and I never bothered to check it again. Must have been the user of that computer playing with Little Snitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_insidev2 View Post
    The thing is, browsers weren't designed to have JS in their bookmarks, you've just found that it does work in FF.

Opera doesn't even do anything for me if I try bookmarking some JS
    Well that's some powerful reasons for using FF then, I have another cool js button that converts a googlemap route into a gpx file that I can upload into my gps.