Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

I dont know where terry hills is but my uncle works out of melbourne
    www.ribbonista.com.au
    First Person in Canberra to get the 3G 8G iPhone on Optus on the 11/07/08, wii console nick Darksplatw wii number 7209 0535 2983 2966 PM me to be my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Appleseed View Post
    I presume Apple holds the patent for visual voicemail...?

I shouldnt think so.. I have had visual voicemail (a version of it) in Japan since 2001.. when I came here....
    Kuma's Tales now on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by darksplat View Post
    Guys
    My uncle works for red rock ok which is a sub contractor of optus, he works on the network and is involved with technologies such as sms and mms, red rock was the company that allowed sms and mms to be sent to any network (in the olden days it was same network only). any how he is in pre mode for vvm and push email and other features coming from optus so yes telstra is bagging the iphone out because it is losing the race for it. Optus is at this stage the number one carrier or ther big nine
    cheers
    darksplat

Very interesting. Personally it would be great if they could get conference calling feature working on GSM. It worked on their AMPS service but they never bothered to get it functional on GSM. One of the most annoying things with them. It's also a GSM standard. Flick a switch and it works. I am under the impression that their billing system can't cope with it. Knowing a lot about their billing system it wouldn't surprise me
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

If I was a betting man, I would put my money on Vodafone with a 3G iPhone. Global reach, and the ability to roll out software and hardware upgrades to take advantage of the phone across a large number of markets. Also have the most mobile subscribers of any mobile company - across the worlds of courase.

Supposedly they have been in discussion with Apple, and are 'keen'.
    Ice Ice . . . . Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by msilsby View Post
    If I was a betting man, I would put my money on Vodafone with a 3G iPhone. Global reach, and the ability to roll out software and hardware upgrades to take advantage of the phone across a large number of markets. Also have the most mobile subscribers of any mobile company - across the worlds of courase.

Supposedly they have been in discussion with Apple, and are 'keen'.

FWIW Im of the same opinion....

My total value of opinion on this subject is of course directly in proportion to the amount of time you took to read this post and your own hourly/worth.
    Kuma's Tales now on Tumblr

Edge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanh View Post
    I dont think you can put in a sim card into the iphone. Apparently it has one in there, and the network carrier program it to work on their carrier alone with the plan you've chosen....
    I'd be interested to know where this information comes from. Sounds made up to me.

It has a sim card slot, so this is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.macrumors.com/events/mwsf2007.html
    9:53 am sim card
    9:53 am top headset jack 3.5mm
    9:53 am upper left top

vodafone and optus do share the same "core" 3G network.

my bet,

virgin mobile!
    Cheese Cheese Cheese Cheese Cheese Cheese Cheese Cheese Cheese Cheese Cheese

Default iphone = optus

It is going to be on optus, I just saw a HUGE yellow and green ad online that said something about the "other telecoms" not wantiing us to see that the iphone is with optus.
    So obviously its going to be on Optus.
    Which makes me really glad actually Im with optus and really want the iphone...

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Proof :P

As much as I want this to be true, I don't think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by richbowen View Post
    I thought there was some technological reason why Telstra had the inside running for the iPhone? NextG?

Hope the Optus story is correct. I'd rather not have to change my broadband and home phone from Optus to Telstra so that I can get the best deal on the iPhone.
    To be fair Dude, choosing Telstra would not only suit more people,(Me for one!) but would also present Apple with the widest possible market potential. I have said it before. I can't see Apple reducing he sales potentail of the iphone by choosing to go with anyone but Telsra.
    "I want to lie, Shipwrecked and comotose, drinking fresh Mango Juice'.

www.barcoasters.com.au

30 somehitng percent versus just over 40%?.

thats optus to telstra market share

optus also have more of the top 100 asx listed companies.

whats market share?

at&t wasnt the best in the usa, its going to get a shitload of people with this new phone..

nextG is sameG,

its 3G (or 3.5G with HSDPA) that 3, vodafone, optus also have, today!.

nextG is at 850mhz, the others at the european standard 2100Mhz.

a nextg iphone (may not) work in europe..

it prefer it to follow the european standards, 2100mhz/900Mhz. thats where the MARKET share in 3G is!

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Yes, Telstra has an "in" with the current iPhone, as it has the only nation-wide EDGE network. Further to that the 3G implementation AT&T uses is the same as Telstra's NextG. I know I sound like a broken record but they are already making a phone suited to NextG. When Apple come to Australia they will look for a partner with the largest customer base and largest breadth of coverage, and best speed for the network. Further to this, Telstra uses the same Israeli-made messagebank platform that AT&T use. Implementing visual voicemail will be very easy.

I'm sorry, but that's Telstra regardless of your views on them.

nicwithsticks Guest

I never thought I'd say this - but I'd be OK if it was on Telstra. I'd happily switch carriers, providing that the plan is right.

is anyone actually using your "edge" network?

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    I'm sorry.
    Yes, i think a little bit in all of us has died.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Yes, Telstra has an "in" with the current iPhone, as it has the only nation-wide EDGE network. Further to that the 3G implementation AT&T uses is the same as Telstra's NextG. I know I sound like a broken record but they are already making a phone suited to NextG. When Apple come to Australia they will look for a partner with the largest customer base and largest breadth of coverage, and best speed for the network. Further to this, Telstra uses the same Israeli-made messagebank platform that AT&T use. Implementing visual voicemail will be very easy.
    I'd still be surprised if thats what they go with. The 3g version will be primarily for europe not australia so logic says they will use the european 3g stuff not the one telstra uses. I seriously doubt we would get an australian only version

Quote Originally Posted by asphotos View Post
    is anyone actually using your "edge" network?
    Uh yes? Anybody on Telstra with an EDGE-capable phone uses it - nearly all Blackberry subscribers, a majority of Nokia users (most Nokia handsets post-2005 have EDGE support), most non-3G PDA handsets. Would you like me to go on?

EDGE is no more expensive for customers to use than GPRS, and the activation is transparent to the user. In fact, the when the switch for EDGE was flicked the only indicator to customers was that their device showed an E(DGE) rather than a G(PRS) on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by iSlayer View Post
    I'd still be surprised if thats what they go with. The 3g version will be primarily for europe not australia so logic says they will use the european 3g stuff not the one telstra uses. I seriously doubt we would get an australian only version
    We wouldn't be getting an Australian-only version, we would be getting the same 3G version that AT&T will use. 3G is taking off in the US in a big way - look at Something Awful or Howard Forums, the first question people ask when a new phone is announce "Where's the 3G support?".

I've got an insider's perspective on mobile technologies and regardless of your feelings on Telstra you have to look at the facts.

comment removed due to being in wrong post.

Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast