Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,834

    Default Coveflow for older video

    I as others have been looking about for a hack to arrive for coverflow on the older video ipod. So far from my search not much has been found.

    But today I thought I would look about my system to see what ipod updates are avail. Since the move to reset & update your ipod has been moved to itunes files are not as easy to find for the ipod.

    Well under library there is a file itunes & in here you will find the folder that contains the ipod firmware. Now seeing as I dont have a new ipod. All that has been downloaded is the old firmware.

    My thinking is if one can get a copy of the new classic firmware & manually load it onto the old video. New functionality will be there.

    I am also unsure what one might use to open the firmware package to look at what it contains ? Pacifist possibly ?

    But I think it is do able like frontrow was for ppc. Thus the reason why Apple moved the ipod updates to slow this hack from arriving. Reading from posts about the tear down of the new classic all the change seems to be is a newer hard drive.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    I highly doubt you'll simply be able to run the new firmware on the 5th Gen iPod.
    MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 15" | iMac Core 2 Duo 20"
    iPod 5G 30GB | iPod nano 4GB | Apple TV 40GB | iPhone 3G 8GB

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    I have faith my friend. Just will take a bit of time, with the past changes there was not much to motivate anyone to figure this out. But now coverflow has arrived.

    I just took a look around the itunes 7.4 install package. No place could I locate ipod firmware. So obviously when itunes knows your ipod model it gets the latest software avail. But does not download for all model ipods.

  4. #4

    Default

    If they have the same hardware etc it's very possible

    there is a hidden partition on every ipod containing the firmware, if you had a mate with an iPod classic you could use dd to move it from one ipod to the other.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Well by what I read the hardware has not really changed. But the iPod games avail in iTunes will only work on old iPod. Guess in time we will see if a copy of the firmware into old video iPod is all one needs to do.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    I wonder if this will come to fruition

    I just got a new classic and the interface is updated in almost every aspect, would be good if 5th gen owners could get it

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiprya View Post
    I wonder if this will come to fruition

    I just got a new classic and the interface is updated in almost every aspect, would be good if 5th gen owners could get it
    why? then no one would buy new ipods. apple has no reason to allow the new os on 5th gen ipods.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Well how techy are you ? Could you look in the library folder & send me the the updated firmware for the new classic.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grorr76 View Post
    why? then no one would buy new ipods. apple has no reason to allow the new os on 5th gen ipods.
    It will obviously be a hack - people will buy the new ones because you can't get the old ones anymore and they are significantly cheaper and slimmer for the same capacity

    I don't think apple is expecting to sell a lot of Classics to 5th Gen owners

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by W9cae View Post
    Well how techy are you ? Could you look in the library folder & send me the the updated firmware for the new classic.
    I sure could if you tell me how to find it / what i'm looking for

    (In other words, not hugly techie)

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    I personally think Apple do this on purpose, to keep folks busy making a new hack. It keeps product intrest up.

    The new iMovie shouldnt work on the G4 mini. But by the friday of release folks had it working.

    FrontRow & PhotoBooth are other examples that work just fine on G4 mini.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by W9cae View Post
    Well how techy are you ? Could you look in the library folder & send me the the updated firmware for the new classic.
    The firmware installer won't work for you, it checks the ipod model before flashing.

    what you need is for someone to DD the first partition of their iPod classic and then you dd it into yours.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    I am thinking possible if someone send the firmware that iTunes has then use an OS X file manager that shows hidden files. We should be able to see all the files on an OS X formated iPod.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Another trick recently learned from another hacker after an issue with FrontRow hack was to rename a file & it tricks OS X & allows install. So maybe this will be a way to make iTunes upgrade the old model to a classic

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by W9cae View Post
    I am thinking possible if someone send the firmware that iTunes has then use an OS X file manager that shows hidden files. We should be able to see all the files on an OS X formated iPod.
    The firmware on the iPod is stored on a seperate partition and does not work like computers do, there is no file structure - it's one giant binary.

    For more information, ipodlinux guys have been working on iPods for ages - http://www.ipodlinux.org

    The only way to get the firmware across is with DD and an iPod Classic, or modifying the firmware update to accept the Gestalt ID of the iPod Video as an iPod Classic.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Well sadly today I have to stop my effort due to other plans. But I would welcom others info on how this might get done.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria Central Highlands
    Posts
    2,300

    Default not going to happen

    Quote Originally Posted by W9cae View Post
    Well sadly today I have to stop my effort due to other plans. But I would welcome others info on how this might get done.
    I hate to be the bringer of bad news,but reading some Japanese sites that have pulled the hardware apart in the new Nano and classic, there is NO way Cover Flow is going to happen on a 5th Gen (not officially from apple anyway), as the firmware EPROM is now over double the size than previously, 1MB now.. the old one was 384k. So there is now NO way to get the new firm ware to run the firmware of the current model on the older model due to firmware size differences, in addition the voltages running are lower, and there are different chip sets running in classic ipods now... so basically the entire hardware is very different in the 6th Gen classics... from the 5th Gen video ipods. The only way I see coverflow running on 5th gen is run linux on it.. and run all the ipod apps that allow all sorts of hacks.. other wise its now frozen in tim (firmware wise).

    That aside its not in Apple's interests for the 5th Gen ipods to look and perform the same as the 6th Gen ones.
    visit my blog.......
    Follow my twitter at http://twitter.com/normandy_sr2
    Follow my PING @ Normandy SR2

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
    I hate to be the bringer of bad news,but reading some Japanese sites that have pulled the hardware apart in the new Nano and classic, there is NO way Cover Flow is going to happen on a 5th Gen (not officially from apple anyway), as the firmware EPROM is now over double the size than previously, 1MB now.. the old one was 384k. So there is now NO way to get the new firm ware to run the firmware of the current model on the older model due to firmware size differences, in addition the voltages running are lower, and there are different chip sets running in classic ipods now... so basically the entire hardware is very different in the 6th Gen classics... from the 5th Gen video ipods. The only way I see coverflow running on 5th gen is run linux on it.. and run all the ipod apps that allow all sorts of hacks.. other wise its now frozen in tim (firmware wise).

    That aside its not in Apple's interests for the 5th Gen ipods to look and perform the same as the 6th Gen ones.
    All previous generation iPods stored their apple firmwares on the HDD with a pre-boot environment onboard to allow diskmode for recovery etc.

    I see no reason why they would change this now, the flash must be used for something different.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    2,166

    Default

    I'm not sure if this is relevant but post 5.5G Apple apparently have used 'encypted firmware' (whatever that means)..and as such they haven't even been able to get some kind of iPodLinux working on them (So iPods since september 12th 2006)
    | iMac Alu.| 11-inch MacBook Air | iPhone 4S 64GB

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolbinau View Post
    I'm not sure if this is relevant but post 5.5G Apple apparently have used 'encypted firmware' (whatever that means)..and as such they haven't even been able to get some kind of iPodLinux working on them (So iPods since september 12th 2006)


    They have gotten it working on 5.5G's now! :P http://ipodlinux.org/5.5g

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •