Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Numbers Vs Excel

How does it compare..
    Is iWork a real threat to microsoft office now ?
    Up Here in my Tree..........trading stories with the leaves

24"imac intel 2.4ghz, 20"g5 imac , ipod nano 2nd gen 2 gig, ipod nano video 8 gig green, ipod shuffle purple, 80g ipod classic,

I think it is just for the average home user. It does the simple tasks but if you want a "real" spreadsheet app then Excel is your answer (IMO).

By real I mean fully-featured with everything you can think of (advanced features).

Numbers is great though, for a 1.0 app. I use it all the time (much faster than Excel - PowerPC app)

rtc Guest

Although this may sound stupid the first time you read it, I have never used numbers but am confident it is not a threat

Its aimed at a different market. Just like iMovie and Final Cut Pro.

With Excel you can do spreadsheets with literally like a 1,000,000+ lines.

Numbers is more of a dumbed down, pretty way of going about using a spreadsheet. I havent tried to spruce up any Excel spreadies in the past, but from the limited time i had using Number it was very simple to present professional good looking data. Numbers even gives real <i>slow</i> users the formulas on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by rtc View Post
    Although this may sound stupid the first time you read it, I have never used numbers but am confident it is not a threat
    Apple could make it a threat by supporting ODF and adding some features

So how many people here have actually used Numbers?

I made the same assumptions until I started using it. It shits on Excel very very heavily. There are bugs to be worked out, but for what I want to do (budgets, various calculations) there is no task that Excel could do (in a bloated fashion) that Numbers doesn't do better. And Pages has surprisingly moved into the realm of usable word processor, unlike the bit of fluff it was when it first was introduced.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm switched. I'll keep Office around, but given all the errors and the stupid Macro infestations I seem to keep getting, I think things can only get better
    with iWork.

for me numbers is useless as it wont open my work timesheet which is the only reason I use a spreadsheet.
    "The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse'. There is no evidence that people want to use these things."
    John C. Dvorak in the San Francisco Examiner, February 1984

As a medical researcher, Numbers absolutely sucks for me as it does not do error bars. All apple need to do is add about 5 features and they would have an Excel killer. At the moment it feels like a beta release.
    Something about Jimby.

I've moved my personal budget from Excel to Numbers, and I'm convinced Numbers is more than adequate for home and small business users. I much prefer it, especially on my Intel Mac, as it loads and runs more quickly.

iWork isn't a threat to MS Office though, not because Numbers doesn't stack up to Excel, but because iWork doesn't run on Windows. The huge majority of businesses use MS Office, and as a consequence they and everyone else keeps buying Office to stay fully compatible.

That said, I can see that there will be plenty of Mac users, who don't require absolute Office compatibility, that will switch entirely to iWork now and won't worry about buying or upgrading to the next version of Office. At this point I doubt I'll upgrade to the next version of Office, despite it being what my employer uses. I'll just use Office 04 for anything iWork can't handle (my work won't quickly adopt any new Office features that aren't compatible with Office 04).

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    As a medical researcher, Numbers absolutely sucks for me as it does not do error bars. All apple need to do is add about 5 features and they would have an Excel killer. At the moment it feels like a beta release.
    I totally agree - no error bars, only one axis can be made logarithmic (none if you do an x-y scatter plot), can't draw linear regression or polynomial fits to scatter plots, can't draw lines between points in scatter plot and no macros or scripting facilities (so it is difficult to use anything more than the rudimentary built-in functions). Perhaps It is fine for basic home stuff however if you're going to use it for budgeting why not use more suitable applications for that (Moneydance, iBank, etc). I'm particularly stumped by the chart restrictions because it almost seems like they specifically went out of their way to limit some of these functions and some of the others (error bars) would not be that hard to implement. I can see that scripting/macros would be quite a bit more effort to implement but then again, the like of NeoOffice seem to have done a pretty good job with it (although their charting facilities are also very poor). Yep, looks like a beta release

rtc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by beer.coffee View Post
    With Excel you can do spreadsheets with literally like a 1,000,000+ lines.
    You'll get around 65,000 rows and 256 columns in Excel and after that you're on your own.

I like it. Its all the way there yet but very usable. Faster IMO than excel.
    MacBookPro 15", iPhone 3G

Successful trades : Cool Smiley, wally4000, macrob69, kaisersozay x2, gilligan911,
    step_andy, neo, mac_man_luke, Clockwork, iMarty, Simo, natakim, chocho, ARB, macman, Goodbye, gregh
    nightelves, suryo, TheKeddi

I love numbers
    for my needs blows excel away.....

but if I needed hard core SS I would have to go back to Office... but now my mac is MS free... nice!!!
    Kuma's Tales now on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    I love numbers
    for my needs blows excel away.....
    I'm keen to start using Numbers...
    have a couple of things in mind...

but any chance people can start sharing what they are doing in Numbers?
    Not actual files - but just what they are doing?

I am currently trying to work out whether I can get away with using Numbers for one task... or whether I really need a database to achieve what I will need.
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

Number is useless for me as it can't open Macros created in Microsoft Excel!

Luckily NextByte allowed me to receive a refund within 7 days!

Quote Originally Posted by DJY View Post
    I am currently trying to work out whether I can get away with using Numbers for one task... or whether I really need a database to achieve what I will need.
    DJY, perhaps if you indicated what you'd like to do some of the MacTalkers may be able to point you down the best path?

Ok

Keep a list of "trainers" with appropriate contact details...
    have a list of when these "trainers" run training workshops...

Workshops are run by at least two "trainers" sometimes three.

in order to easily determine who is current with their training, where they are, and how many training workshops have been conducted.

Then ideally be able to "sort" / "produce" reports - by certain fields within each or both lists.

Edit:
    Currently 140 odd trainers who have conducted over 250 workshops - to help with the scope of things.
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

And that is why VMWare Fusion was such a great purchase for me, I am still able to use Office 2003 on my Mac mini... Excel Macros!
    Suffering another bout of Apple Anticipation Anxiety syndrome... but doesn't everyone?

Just a three figure post count punk.

DJY, it depends on the details of the functionality you require but it sounds very much like something that could be easily done in a database. If Numbers could handle macros then I'd say without a doubt that you could also do this in Numbers - that is the beauty of macros i.e. if you are missing some functionality then it is easy to add it yourself. However, I don't know enough about the inbuilt functions in Numbers to say whether or not you could easily achieve the functionality you require. You might be able to get away with some combination of look-ups, sorts and filters but it'd depend on the details of the data and how it is arranged ... and how fancy you want to get

OK. So for my needs as a primary school teacher running a marks books and analysing data, and my own needs at home, such as budgeting, calulating fuel consumption etc. Numbers is so much better than Excel.

I can see how it is not the tool that Excel is and that the lack of macros could be limiting. For me this isn't an issue and Numbers is ideal.
    Blog Twitter Flickr Florist Perth
    Jupiter: 15" 2.3 GHz MBP AuPhone II: iPhone 4S 32 Gb AuPad: 16GB iPad

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast