Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default $100 credit for iPhone early adopters - Steve still sucks!

To all iPhone customers:

I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset about Apple dropping the price of iPhone by $200 two months after it went on sale. After reading every one of these emails, I have some observations and conclusions.

First, I am sure that we are making the correct decision to lower the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, and that now is the right time to do it. iPhone is a breakthrough product, and we have the chance to 'go for it' this holiday season. iPhone is so far ahead of the competition, and now it will be affordable by even more customers. It benefits both Apple and every iPhone user to get as many new customers as possible in the iPhone 'tent'. We strongly believe the $399 price will help us do just that this holiday season.

Second, being in technology for 30+ years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff date and misses the new price or the new operating system or the new whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced.

Third, even though we are making the right decision to lower the price of iPhone, and even though the technology road is bumpy, we need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price. Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these.

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers. We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/

Ha . Smart play by Stevie here. He won't give them their money back or the full $200 off their original purchase but he will invite them into an Apple store to try something else and maybe , just maybe make a "big" purchase. I smell a rat here. I think they were always going to have these phones on sale at $399 and were looking at drumming up more business to their Apple stores. Knowing the hype of the pre-release campaign , they would of been assured of a healthy market within a few days of the release of the iPhone so why not give them all a reason to visit one of their stores. Clever marketing.
    Stewie ( not Stevie )
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

He just rocked my world - I had my doubts, but he has come through like a bat out of hell.

I can live with $100 premium for the first two months - it's entirely acceptable, and probably should have been expected.

I knew I couldn't stay upset at you Steve. I will definitely spend up big with this gift you're giving me.

Price drops happen all the time with new technology, hell even I got stung on a compact digital camera purchase 3 weeks ago where it went down 20+% the week after I brought.

Stuff like this does not happen all the time. Kudos to Apple.

In 1998 when Steve had the TAM slashed from $7500 to $1999, any of the original purchasers who complained were given a free Powerbook...
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

It will be interesting to see how one claims this $100 rebate...

But Apple are definitely doing the right thing here.
    garethtownsend.info

Melbourne Cocoaheads! - we're cuckoo for cocoa apps!

I agree Quamen - especially since it's like to be the US store, and I wonder whether they're going to make it $100 per customer rather than $100 per phone, or any other arbitrary limit.

I know that even without the eBayers, many people in the US bought a single iPhone for themselves, and subsequently returned to buy iPhones for their family/friends or simply as presents. Sure, like me, it makes them suckers several times over, but still will be interesting to see how all this is worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Quamen View Post
    But Apple are definitely doing the right thing here.
    I don't know if my Marketing lecturer would agree with that...

You can always charge more to the early adaptors... It's the price they pay for being cool first
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post

You can always charge more to the early adaptors... It's the price they pay for being cool first
    A 33% (i think) price drop in 2 months is not normal. Not even for high tech products.

If Apple did this on every product then nobody would buy anything until the next price drop was announced... which would then lead to it never coming and the product being discontinued.

You need to look at the big picture to see that Apple is doing the right thing. Both morally and in a commercial sense.
    garethtownsend.info

Melbourne Cocoaheads! - we're cuckoo for cocoa apps!

The interesting thing now is all those people who got their iPhone off ebay. I'd imagine the chaps who were flogging these off on ebay are cheering, since many were sold for close to full price, now they'll be getting $100 back from Apple... happy days

That aside.. Apple are indeed doing the right thing. Go Apple!

I love you Steve

I wish we'd get more blog entries from his Steveness.

Steve is playing you all like a rusty trombone

Its odd- Apple price cut and they are a GOD - any other company price cuts and its a tacky sales ploy.

Go figure

it is a nice gesture though (or is it??? ) ha ha- i need a coffee.
    My Mountain Bike Blog

Sweet trades simo, avolve, Jedda, zmit, ryano (x2), emerson, Nevets_Anderson, cbennie, step_andy and more...

Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword View Post
    Steve is playing you all like a rusty trombone

Its odd- Apple price cut and they are a GOD - any other company price cuts and its a tacky sales ploy.

Go figure

it is a nice gesture though (or is it??? ) ha ha- i need a coffee.
    Afgh finally, a breath of fresh Cynasism. I was getting lonely taking my morning s...troll.

Jobs is okay. If it was Gates then I'd poo poo it. It would be a $100 refund in a dozen different versions.

Quote Originally Posted by iSlave View Post
    Afgh finally, a breath of fresh Cynasism. I was getting lonely taking my morning s...troll.
    Careful- i might put that in my signature
    My Mountain Bike Blog

Sweet trades simo, avolve, Jedda, zmit, ryano (x2), emerson, Nevets_Anderson, cbennie, step_andy and more...

why is it people will think its cool if Steve jobs takes a shit on stage???

iPhone owners apple screwed you less then 2 months and a $200 price drop. Great for us crap for everyone who bought it early.

Then Stevie comes out and says sorry heres $100 store voucher - a store voucher is not going to pay the interest on your credit card you used to buy the iphone with in the first place.

The way I see it apple have a 90 day return policy and a $50 restocking fee. Return your $599 iPhone and get $449 refunded. Then buy a new iPhone for $399 and pre-order leopard with the change

When I read about peeps compaining about the price drop, I couldn't believe how down right dumb they are!!

The whole IT industry is just a financial mess when it comes to price drops and the whole *what's hot's now not* thing.
    Just the other day I bought a new top-of-the-range digital camera only to find out the next day that canon released a new one (not at stores yet) I didn't call and demand a free upgrade or ask for a cashback (since my models' since droped $300 in price) - its the freakin bizz man!
    one day something's worth X next day its worth NADA

Stop whining!

Just like ozimate said - I too would have paid $200 more just to have one before everyone else... bah - I would have even gone higher!

ilostmypassword is right though, dropping prices like that *and* making a statement about it technically is bad marketing... but I think at the moment, apple could wrap poo in tin foil and still get a pat on the back for being the good guys
    Mr Aaron
    ----------------------
    Site : http://isnot.tv
    Apps : http://bleepblop.isnot.tv & http://desklickr.isnot.tv

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_warnock View Post
    why is it people will think its cool if Steve jobs takes a shit on stage???
    Did he? I must have downloaded the wrong keynote! Must have been when he introduced the new nano.

Darwin, the city at the end of the universe

That 100$ apple voucher can go towards the purchase of new iPods for the early iPhone buyers ;D
    Clear away the past. Make room for the Future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazarus View Post
    That 100$ apple voucher can go towards the purchase of new iPods for the early iPhone buyers ;D
    Or in my case it can go towards another iPhone.
    "The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse'. There is no evidence that people want to use these things."
    John C. Dvorak in the San Francisco Examiner, February 1984

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    That's possibly why he/she will always remain a marketing lecturer, rather than, say, a successful business person...

Cheers
    Steffen.
    It's Unix, Jim, but not as we know it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast