Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword View Post
    Its odd- Apple price cut and they are a GOD - any other company price cuts and its a tacky sales ploy.
    It's odd? Maybe less so once you realise that this is not about a price cut, but a partial refund for all customers who bought before the price cut...

Whilst not unprecedented it is a rare gesture.

Go figure
    Indeed.

Cheers
    Steffen.
    It's Unix, Jim, but not as we know it...

This just in from Macnn says what I have thought all along.

apple news/media reports
    09/07/2007, 12:25pm, edt
    friday, september 7th
    Cringely: Jobs planned iPhone credit

Apple CEO Steve Jobs dropped the iPhone's price by $200 to make a buck and bolster his ego, according to PBS.org columnist Robert Cringely. The price cut -- which Jobs announced on Wednesday at the end of Apple's special event in San Francisco less than three months after the iPhone's initial launch -- was "a carefully and tightly scripted exercise in marketing and ego gratification," the columnist said. "It wasn't an accident. It wasn't a thoughtless mistake. [...] In the mind of Steve Jobs the entire incident had no downside, none at all, which is yet another reason why he is not like you or me," said Cringely, who worked in Jobs' garage during some of Apple's earliest days. "Steve does things like this because he can. It reaffirms his iron grip over both Apple and Apple's customers. It's a lot about ego and a little about business, though with Steve Jobs they are hard to differentiate."
    "Apple introduced the iPhone at $599 to milk the early adopters and somewhat limit demand then dropped the price to $399 (the REAL price) to stimulate demand now that the product is a critical success and relatively bug-free. At least 500,000 iPhones went out at the old price, which means Apple made $100 million in extra profit."

The columnist insists that Apple would have left it at that if no customers had complained, but that Jobs expected complaints and had an answer waiting in the form of a $100 Apple store credit.

"This was no knee-jerk reaction, either. It was already there just waiting if needed."

Jobs knows that some customers will never use their store credit, according to Cringely, and that many iPhone owners who purchased the device from an AT&T store who do use it will have to make their first-ever trip to an Apple Store. Further, most purchases making use of the $100 credit will add up to much more than the credit itself, netting Apple more profits in the end.

"So Apple still comes out $75 million ahead, which is important to Steve Jobs."

Cringely also says Apple's chief makes most of his business decisions as reactions to the company board firing him back in 1985, when company shareholders settled instead for marketing professional John Sculley. Sculley tried his hand at marketing strategies as Apple's leader until Jobs took the reigns once again in 1997.

"In the 22 years since that humiliation, Jobs has devoted himself to proving: 1) that he can deliver the numbers (and does he -- Apple is the best-managed computer company on Earth), and; 2) that he is a better marketer than Sculley, the supposed marketing genius," Cringely explained.

Way to go Apple, how to turn what could have been bad news, into some news that all the TV stations are playing, and giving free air time.

If ever this was the case of bad news = good news.

maybe my math is different from everyone elses...
    $599 - $399 = $200
    but they only get $100 credit - still that 100 million is now 50millon - and it was kinda a 'up frount loan' as well...
    i wonder if the people who brought them, registered them, then took them back, will get the 100$ or not... :-)
    http://www.ether.net.au/asher
    Trades: applecollector & OziMac & Musky & DebB & stewiesno1 & leon

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tuzza View Post
    maybe my math is different from everyone elses...
    $599 - $399 = $200
    No your math skills are right, your capitalism skills are wrong

Quote Originally Posted by W9cae View Post

apple news/media reports
    friday, september 7th

Apple CEO Steve Jobs dropped the iPhone's price by $200 to make a buck and bolster his ego, according to PBS.org columnist Robert Cringely.
    You realise that this stuff is just made up? Cringely is, depending on the year, a different person.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by SyncMan View Post
    No your math skills are right, your capitalism skills are wrong
    LOL - thanks for that - of course knowing that i dont use capital letters and being disclexic i initially thought that was what you were talking about - then i read it again and had a real laugh...

thanks for the laughs though
    http://www.ether.net.au/asher
    Trades: applecollector & OziMac & Musky & DebB & stewiesno1 & leon

Quote Originally Posted by W9cae View Post

apple news/media reports
    friday, september 7th
    So what if he did? Kudos for his marketing skills. What a visionary!
    Obviously theres plenty of consumers who are desperate to step up first and beat the * pinata. That's obvious from the countless threads of desperate desire around here.

* pinata

Okay, Steve officially sucks again...

iPhone credits seem only to work with people with current and active AT&T accounts. Nice one, you little prick.

I'm going to give it a go on the number I originally activated with before cancelling, but don't like my chances. Many others have been getting error messages even when they're still on AT&T plans.

The topic aint mine

and as for the $100 back to non att customers...

come on really.. whaddya expect...

you buy the phone you are meant to be with att

Agree with Kuma. You buy the phone, you're meant to use it with AT&T, not circumvent the activation process. Apple aren't stupid, and I don't see a problem with this.

Kuma you have been in Japan too long.

This rebate thingy is one big mess. Seeing Apple had strong comments toward Microsoft for doing similar. Now they have dont exactly the same.

To be fair Apple should have given a voucher to any iPhone owner that purchased at the higher price. Regardless of there location & AT&T.

these people were happy to pay what they did 2 months ago... they saw value in the purchase...

apple were kind enough to offer a rebate to their customers... if you have an iphone (legitimately) and are with att... such is life...

Joe90 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    these people were happy to pay what they did 2 months ago... they saw value in the purchase...

apple were kind enough to offer a rebate to their customers... if you have an iphone (legitimately) you are with att... such is life...
    Crap consumers whine the loudest!

I was being mean. I take it back, you're all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post

apple were kind enough to offer a rebate to their customers... if you have an iphone (legitimately) and are with att... such is life...

Apple didn't lower the price; they just dropped the nerd tax.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2