Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hi, my partners ibook (g3, 2 years old) screen has suddenly started flicking on and off. It first happened about two weeks ago after removing a firewire dvd burner. She freaked, shut it down, and didnt touch the computer for a day.

there was no trouble til today, and now it is flashing on and off all the time. we both use our ibooks 24/7, but treat them with love and care.

whats gone wrong? happened to anyone else?

Hi, check the serial number, if it is in the range of

UV117XXXXXX to UV342XXXXXX

then it might be a faulty logic board and you should visit here

And if not, it might STILL be a faulty logic board, and you should speak to Apple regardless...

thanks for the quick reply, called apple, could be the logic board, called an apple repair centre, and the machines still under warranty! yay for 3 year apple education warranty.

still, the tech said the repair would probably take minimum 4 days, my girlfriend is already in withdrawl! (can you sue apple for loss of business?)

Originally posted by iboy@Feb 1 2005, 11:45 AM
    (can you sue apple for loss of business?)
    Nope, they explicitly state they they are not responsible for such things. One thing you will find out about Apple is that their legal department is ruthless. But then again who can blame them after what Microsoft did to them

I got a replacement machine from Apple, I have no complaints about their policies as yet. If you wanted guaranteed uptime you'd have paid for a service contract, after all!

This is consistent with any computer manufacturer, be it Dell, HP, IBM, what have you.

Originally posted by iboy@Feb 1 2005, 11:15 AM
    thanks for the quick reply, called apple, could be the logic board, called an apple repair centre, and the machines still under warranty! yay for 3 year apple education warranty.

still, the tech said the repair would probably take minimum 4 days, my girlfriend is already in withdrawl! (can you sue apple for loss of business?)
    I lost my Wallstreet for 3 weeks at an Apple shop...

Just a note, there is a help forum for these topics
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.