Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
    Danamania Guest

Default iStat Menus and CHUD Tools menu item

Oooh I feel privileged - one of the first posts directly into the support forum .

Anyway - I'm having an issue with iStat Menus and the CHUD Tools menu item. Seems I can't use both together. Not long after getting this machine, I installed iStat Menus, and have it running with a few menu items - CPU, Fan and Temperatures. I later noticed I couldn't turn the menu item on from the CHUD Tools prefpane. Not a big drama, just an oddity I noticed.

Now, after a reboot, it seems I've left the CHUD Tools menu extra option ticked, and that menu item has loaded - but now it's iStat Menus that doesn't work. Looks like I get one or the other, but not both. When trying to enable one of iStat Menus' extras, I get a little panel dropping down:

"More Information" takes me to http://islayer.com/support/?p=30

Worth mentioning is that just turning off CHUD Tools' menu extra *doesn't* allow iStat Menus to work, nor does it work the other way around if I've booted with iStat Menus working. Whichever one is the first to have loaded on a fresh boot is the one that works from then on.

Dana

iStat menus uses menucracker to allow 3rd party menu extras to be used. It works by posing as the chud menu extra and then replacing a few of the functions apple use to check if a menu extra should be loaded.

As you have found out the downside is it breaks the real chud extra which isnt ideal. One way to get around it is to use Menu Extra Enabler which will enable 3rd party menu extras without breaking the chud extra. Alot of people dont like that though because its from unsanity and because its an input manager which is why we use menucracker instead.

As for why you can't load istat menus' extras after disabling the chud extra and vice versa.... SystemUIServer caches menu extras. Only way to get it to reload is to kill SystemUIServer or restart.

It's been a while but incase you hadn't noticed already you can change the menucracker settings in iStat menus 1.3

Oh that's a pleasant surprise. CHUD tools' processor menu item *and* ism both working well together here.

Now I just need more menu bar space

Dana