Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry OSX is turning into Windows

Ok, so lately my MacBook has really been pissing me off. It's gotten really buggy lately, it's like I'm using Windows. Applications constantly freeze, and refuse to force quite - forcing me to restart. I've restarted 3 times today. Also, the fan seems to be going crazy - it's on constantly on even when I'm doing simple things like surfing the web.

It's been going great ever since I bought it at the end of last year, till now. Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do to make my Mac work well again? (without reinstalling OSX)

i'm finding that the wireless on my MB is very slow ... where pages used to load in an instant, i'm now left wondering whether or not Safari has stalled. or YouTube vids take an eternity to load, for instance.

wireless on my iMac, however, is as snappy as can be.
    twitter :|: mwot MT profile :|: mwot

Open your HD -> open Applications -> open Utilities -> double-click to open: Disk Utility - and run a Verify Disk Permissions over the HD - followed by a Repair Disk Permissions.

Start there.

Next - a squizz at the Console...

There are a few things..

• load activity monitor and monitor the CPU usage of your apps..
    • load console and make sure there are no errors in your system log..

I'm having a similar experience with my 3 1/2 year old PowerBook, it also sounds like it's accessing the hard drive like crazy when this happens.

I think my hard drive is done for.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. ClockWork: I verified and repaired my disk permissions - it seems to have done a fair bit. This is the summary after repairing:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Determining correct file permissions.
    User differs on ./Applications, should be 0, owner is 501
    Group differs on ./Applications, should be 80, group is 501
    Permissions differ on ./Applications, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications
    Permissions differ on ./Library/Application Support/Macromedia, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxrwxrwx
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Application Support/Macromedia
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Application Support/Macromedia
    Permissions differ on ./private/var/log/secure.log, should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r-----
    Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log
    Permissions corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log
    Permissions differ on ./usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -r-xr-xr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
    Permissions corrected on ./usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

Permissions repair complete
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
    Cam: after checking my CPU usage it seems there's an app called PrintJobMgr taking up 98-99%. This seems..odd. Here's a screenshot of the activity monitor -

yep - as Cam says - step 2 - check the Console Log.

actually - might be worth while doing a quick Disk check - takes hardly any time:

Restart your MacBook with both the Apple-Command key and the S key down. You'll see the regular grey screen and Apple - and then they'll be replaced with a black background and white text.

Wait for the text to scroll down before it ends in: root#

Then type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

and hit your return key

It will begin testing your HD. If it finds problems, it will repair them. You know it has finished when everything ends in: root# - once again.

Then type: reboot

and hit your return key again.

If the problem(s) persist - go to next step - check the Console Log:

Open your HD -> open Applications -> open Utilities -> double-click to open Console.

In the Console, click once on : Logs - and in the left panel, click on: system.log - Select All to copy it, and paste it back into here - and we can all have a look at what's happening inside your MacBook.

cw

What model of printer do you have there IG ?

AddIt: and are you running latest OS X software?

ClockWork: I did the disk check, didn't find any problems. I have a Canon MP800. As soon as I quit the PrintJobMgr process the fans shut off and all seems to be well. I guess I'll just uninstall the printer drivers, I hardly use it anyway...

Yesh - it might be worthwhile Uninstalling your Canon MP800 software - and - if you're still using the Canon PIXMA MP800 - to download the latest drivers for it - here.

It says that the MP800 Printer Driver Ver. 4.1.9 is compatible with Intel. Perhaps the version you installed came from a pre-Intel Installation CD.

See how you fair.

cw

Same issue happens with me and my MP500 - if a print job becomes stuck, the PrintJobMgr goes bananas and the machine appears to be sluggish.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
    Same issue happens with me and my MP500 - if a print job becomes stuck, the PrintJobMgr goes bananas and the machine appears to be sluggish.
    ah yes - Canon software for the Mac - always been a nightmare for me in the past which is why I stay away from their otherwise excellent products.

Erm... Is there any reason why Activity Monitor doesn't want to work on my iMac?

I open it, it bounces in the Dock, then closes. I try again, and it just appears/disappears. Any ideas? I'd like to see what's going on in my Mac, but it doesn't seem to want to play nice

half goon: Try a permissions repair. A few of the Apple utilities have special permissions set to run, but something or other can break those permissions causing the app to fail. Otherwise, there should be a crash report for it in your user folder -> Library -> Logs -> CrashReporter which will reveal the answer.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

As a matter of interest, I downloaded something for my daughter the other day; sixteen pages long, and quite a few diagrams. When I asked for it to be printed, twenty minutes later it had done about one quarter of one page. Everything else was gummed up too. PrintJobManager was, as with yours, using over 90% of CPU. I got around it by printing one page at a time - probably no quicker than otherwise, but at least it seemed as if I was getting somewhere. The document was an InDesign one, with the extension .indd. I have an HP printer. I was blaming the document but from what I read here, the problem may be with printer drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
    half goon: Try a permissions repair. A few of the Apple utilities have special permissions set to run, but something or other can break those permissions causing the app to fail. Otherwise, there should be a crash report for it in your user folder -> Library -> Logs -> CrashReporter which will reveal the answer.
    I did a permissions repair last night because of this thread, actually. So I don't think that's it. But here is the crash log:

Code:
    Host Name:      ******
    Date/Time:      2007-07-30 11:50:48.556 +0930
    OS Version:     10.4.10 (Build 8R218)
    Report Version: 4

Command: Activity Monitor
    Path:    /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app/Contents/MacOS/Activity Monitor
    Parent:  WindowServer [63]

Version: 1.5 (54)

PID:    1141
    Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GraphKit.framework/Versions/A/GraphKit
      Referenced from: /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app/Contents/MacOS/Activity Monitor
      Reason: image not found
    What is the missing image, and how do I find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Morrow View Post
    As a matter of interest, I downloaded something for my daughter the other day; sixteen pages long, and quite a few diagrams. When I asked for it to be printed, twenty minutes later it had done about one quarter of one page. Everything else was gummed up too. PrintJobManager was, as with yours, using over 90% of CPU. I got around it by printing one page at a time - probably no quicker than otherwise, but at least it seemed as if I was getting somewhere. The document was an InDesign one, with the extension .indd. I have an HP printer. I was blaming the document but from what I read here, the problem may be with printer drivers.
    sounds like 1 of 2 things.

1) your printer most likely has no RAM and no native methods for printing large complex files. so it slowly transfers and prints the document. USB, being the slow buzzard that it is probably didnt help to much either.

2) your printer has no post script drivers installed, so InDesign had to convert all of it to non post script print and then get the printer to print it, introducing problem 1.

W2ttsy

W2ttsy
    I don't know enough to know about those things - it's an HP PSC 1510 - normally works well for me, but this job was s...l...o...w.
    Thanks for the tips, though.

Alex:

To eliminate the possibility, Spotlight or Find all incidences of: PSC 1510
    and Trash them.

Then, click on : http://welcome.hp.com/country/au/en/...isplay=drivers

Type: PSC 1510 - into the Download drivers and software (and firmware) panel and hit your return key.

In the list, click on: HP PSC 1510 All-in-One - (or which ever version of the HP 1510 All-In-One you have).

Click on: Mac OS X.

And there you will see softeware drivers for the HP PSC 1510 All-in-One - for Mac OS X 10.2.8 / Mac OS X 10.3 & 10.4 / and Mac OS 9 & Mac OS X 10.1 - depending on what Operating System you are currently running.

This is presuming that the printer software you installed for your HP PSC 1510 All-in-One may have come from a possibly incompatible CD Installer.

Alex Morrow: Might just be a big file. Small printers don't like big files! Some design documents can take 40+ mins on decent printers with loads of ram in them, so it's no surprise that a consumer printer can be bogged down with some files.

half goon half god: Not a solution, but you could always use the Top command in Terminal.app.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast