Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Using OSX OSX 10.3 I have indervigually downloaded 10.3.4 to 10.3.7 but I am unable to install them on the hard drive.
    The message I am getting is,
    You cannot install this software on this volume. this volume dose nt meet the rquirments for this update.
    Can any one help
    Primo.

Why didn't you just download the combo update?

That would probably work. Be sure to use disk util to repair permissions after the update.
    * Power Mac 867-DP/1.25/120+60
    * PowerBook 12" 1.33/768/80
    * Mac Classic 8/4/40 upgraded to Classic II 16/10/40
    * Mac SE/30 16/32/1GB with ethernet adapter
    * Newton MessagePad 2000

I have tried on a few occasions to download the combo up date unsuccessfully due to dropouts.

If you have 10.3.5...do you have to install 10.3.6 then 10.3.7, or can you just get the combo 10.3.7 and all updates and fixes will be included??

Also what are permissions? Why are they are repaired?

Yes Mac newbie questions :-)

The combo update will update, say, 10.3.X where X=any number lower than the current available update to the current version.

If you can't download a combo updater, maybe take a blank CD to your local Apple Centre and ask if they'll burn the updater onto CD.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

thanks to every one for their input.

Is the G4 back in PRIMO condition

How much free diskspace is available? Its remotely possible you might not have enough free space (thus the error).

Just as a guess..

Originally posted by Dexter123@Jan 30 2005, 11:53 AM
    If you have 10.3.5...do you have to install 10.3.6 then 10.3.7, or can you just get the combo 10.3.7 and all updates and fixes will be included??

Also what are permissions? Why are they are repaired?

Yes Mac newbie questions :-)
    The best and easiest way to update your system is to click on the 'Apple' menu and select 'Software Udate.'

Software update will detect your system configuration and install the appropriate update.

Permissions is what the name suggests, it states what a user can do to a file (for example modify the contents) and which users are allowed to do this. This is a fundamental part of Unix security as important files (such as system files) can only be touched by 'root' (the supreme user). When an installer updates your system, it will sometimes change the permissions of certain files, but usually forgets to change the permissions back to the original state. So therefore you need to 'repair' permissions.

To repair permissions goto Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility, selct the volume and click repair permissions.

The best and easiest way to update your system is to click on the 'Apple' menu and select 'Software Udate.'
    always fun on dial up...

Know me before you judge me...