Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default [Merged] Recommendations for external hard drive

Hi,

Today I was told that my Uni is no longer letting us "borrow" external firewire drives to store our (movie) projects on...

On top of having to find a newly imposed $100 safety deposit because they upgraded to Sony XDCAMs (and thus also needing to buy BluRay discs at around $45-$60 each)... this semester is looking extra expensive...

Last I looked (which was at Harvey Norman, about 4-6 months ago), a "MyBook" firewire drive was going to cost around $1.50 per Gb, unless you bought a 500Gb drive at $499... At those prices, I'm just going to have to make sure I work with people who have their own drive...

What's the cheapest anyone's seen a 200-250Gb firewire drive? Where?

Cheers n thanks

cosmic
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Lacie drives are resonable priced I got my 160gig firwire mini drive for $150

You'll probably find it's cheapest to just buy the HD and Case seperately.

MSY : Samsung 250GB 8MB Cache 7200rpm IDE ATA100 HDD Hard Disk : $89

QCG* : CAGEEXT3.5U2F External 3.5" Combo Firewire&USB HDD Enclosure (3512 RITMO) $49

Total $89 + $49 = $138

*Queensland Computer Group (Slacks Creek)

http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=250gb

http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/sear...q=3.5+firewire

I would not trust any firewire drive enclosure that was not powered by an Oxford 911 chipset.

http://www.epowermac.com.au/product.asp?P_ID=117

What about Prolific?
    Join SqueekyTee (by Rushfaster) using this invite code!
    norobots.net.au - My blog.
    - Lots of macs : MB (black) C2D 2Gb, eMac 1.42Ghz 1.5Gb, eMac 700Mhz, Sawtooth AGP 400Mhz, iBook 800Mhz, iMac 350Mhz, iPod mini, iPod Touch 8Gb and one pretty disorganised life

Rubbish.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/search.php?searchid=57955

Inconsistent errors, data loss, performance issues ... it's all there

JB

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

My tutor was under the belief that we should opt for an externally powered (ie not from the firewire cable) drive, as working with video is SO intense that a lower powered drive might fall over under the strain...

Is that valid?
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

I always get external powered drives, they can take faster and stronger drives etc etc - so yes that is a valid comment. I'm not saying the other drives are 'shit' - but for video production you can use the extra power, especially if you might start working with HD!

Very much so.

Avoid any enclosure that doesn't have the Oxford chipset inside of it. The other thing that is important, especially if you're going to be thrashing the drive with video-streams, the case must have an internal fan, plus must have its own power supply.

Many people here are happy with the Icecube Pleiades (the one that looks like a micro-mini G5/MacPro), I prefer the NewMotion Odyssey case because it has its power supply internal (not a plugpack) and a quiet fan, as well as quick no-screws access. Try & Byte sell them, they're about the $100 mark.

Brains

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

My tutor was under the belief that we should opt for an externally powered (ie not from the firewire cable) drive, as working with video is SO intense that a lower powered drive might fall over under the strain...

Is that valid?
    Only to 2.5" laptop drives that can powered by the FW bus.

As your original post indicated by the size you specified, you want a 3.5" drive, which will inevitably powered by an AC>DC external adapter or as Brians indicated above, 240 volts AC straight into the drive.

IMO 320Gb drives appear to be the best value at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by vicmeldrew View Post
    IMO 320Gb drives appear to be the best value at the moment.
    Yep, ~ $130-odd for a 320GB Seagate 8MB cache 7200PM "11 series" at MSY, can't go wrong Performance of said drive is great too. Any higher capacity isn't worth the money at present for "bang for buck".

JB

Nexus Technology have some good ones.....

http://www.nexus.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=63_83

I bought the Macpower M9-DX 3.5" 320GB External HDD USB2.0+Firewire 400 and can't fault it. It also acts as a usb & FW hub......
    15" 2.4GHz C2D (Penryn) MBP 4Gb RAM, Pismo, 80Gb iPod Classic
    -----------------
    Successful Trades: Simo, mulquemi(x2), carlow1, hmc

Default [Merged] Recommendations for external hard drive

Hi. I would like to purchase an external hard drive for my new macbook and would be grateful for recommendations about what features I should look for. Would like about 500gb, and will use for backing up, storing my kids' videos to burn them to dvd, home movie storage, recording tv through eyetv, etc. Would like advice re reliable brands that work well with mac, what kind of connectors I will need, and anything else you think might be helpful. It doesn't need to be portable, happy with power from the wall. If it's relevant, I am moving o/s long term soon.
    Many thanks
    Ian

I too am in the market for a 300-500gig storage solution for the MB.

I would prefer firewire but will settle for USB maybe...

WOW! are selling 320gig Maxtor's for something like $179 at the moment...not firewire though =(

Thoughts? Cheers.

Have you tried searching for "external drive"??

That's my first recommendation.

I would recommend a Firewire drive with the Oxford Chipset. I have a Western Digital USB only drive and more than a few firewire drives. The WD USB drive always seems to take a lot longer to mount than the FW ones. In your situation with a laptop, I would buy a USB/Firewire combo enclosure and install the hard drive yourself. I like Western Digital and Samsung brands myself. Buy the bare drive from MSY if you live near a store but buy the enclosure from a Mac store like Express Powermac, Frequency or Streetwise as they will guarantee it will be compatable. I think it's important you get the USB option as you may want to connect it to the USB port of the new Airport extreme.

Alternatively i really like the look and feel of Lacie D2 drives although the warranty of the HD will be shorter. Avoid the Lacie porsche model as it overheats.

i have two Lacie d2 triple interface externals and have no complaints. i did have a maxtor III but that went back because after six months it developed an I/O error that didn't really impress me, so I exchanged it for the second Lacie. the 300Gb/320Gb models seems to very well priced at the moment since i think they're trying to phase one of those models out as the lowest capacity for the triple interface.

i've also heard that the porsche design ones aren't as reliable as the d2, but that's anecdotal!!
    15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.6Ghz 6Gb RAM, 320GB 7200 HDD, 512 VRAM & 23" Cinema Display
    3g iPod 30GB & 4g iPod photo 60GB & 512Mb shuffle & 2g shuffle & iPod touch 8GB
    & 3G iPhone 16Gb

flickr

RE: Going overseas...

Certainly need to take that into account, and make sure whatever drive you decide on can handle other power supplies...

I'm borrowing a "Cooler Master" "XCraft" harddrive at the moment which is 320Gb, Firewire & USB2, cost $199 inc postage off eBay... no problems so far.

I too am now on the hunt for a pair of drives. Seeing I am archiving all my music collection collected for the past 40 years. Finding stuff I forgot I had & its reall nice to have all your music in one place iTunes.

But storage & backup is a serious issue. I was considering a pair of the Lacies mentioned above but now you are making me think again.

Cheers Scott

PS. I find CenterCom to have some great price's & plain no frills service is nice too !

As in one of the posts above , buy the USB2/Firewire enclosure and install the hard drive yourself. I would buy a Seagate drive with the 16mb cache and get the five year warranty as opposed to the other brands which mostly come with three years or less. They are much the same price too. Also look to get an enclosure that has a decent fan in to vent as much hot air out as possible.As also mentioned above , if you really need to backup huge data files as fast as you can then the triple interface with USB2/Firewire 400/ Firewire 800 is the way to go although they are not as common as USB2/Firewire 400 and that much more expensive as well.
    Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast