Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default MacTalk's Mega NAS Show Down - Preview & Request

I've managed to get my hands on a couple of equal-spec, 4-bay NAS units to review:

• Buffalo TeraStation 5400
    • Iomega PX4-300d
    • Synology DS413j
    • Synology DS412+
    • Synology DS413
    • QNAP TS-412
    • Thecus N4800-ECO
    • D-Link DNS-345
    • FreeNAS PC

The review should be up in a week or so, but I'm after some of your ideas on what sort of stuff you'd like me to compare about them, or info you'd like to know. I have in mind a few benchmarks, power consumption info and comparing the feature/price ratio of each one, but if there's a particular thing, you've been wondering about NAS units, let me know

Which models can run Plex Server.

I'd be interested in how easy it is to install things like plex.

As i am in the market for a NAS this is awesome - what i'd like to know is how is the performance with different drives ie. the "green" drives vs. some of the higher-performance ones on the market?

Time Machine capabilities, particularly multiple Macs.
    2012 Mac Mini 2.6 w/ 1TB Fusion Drive & 16GB RAM, Dell U2713HM Monitor | 15" MBP Unibody 2.66 | iPhone 5s Space Gray 32GB on Vodafone & iPhone 5 Black | iPad Retina (3rd Gen) on Vodafone | AppleTV 3 | Original Airport Express

Noise, how they go with plex would be good

User Interface design and navigation,
    Supported external programs like Sickbeard, NZB etc
    Types of redunancy. i.e Raid 0, Raid 1, Raid5, Vendors own implementation
    Noise
    Setup and Migration (if any)
    Apple Support
    Running Costs

Resource use, ZFS capability, transfer speeds, ui, noise, temp, remote access option (rdp, ssh, sftp, etc), power consumption, inbuilt sys monitoring tools, notifications.

When I did my own comparisons a couple of years ago I opted for FreeNAS on a HP Microserver running 4 green drives. CRON jobs run well, OS is light weight yet very powerful, easily configurable and accessible from anywhere & pumps out daily reports and emails to me easily.

Very keen to see how the synology servers go.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterFnord View Post
    As i am in the market for a NAS this is awesome - what i'd like to know is how is the performance with different drives ie. the "green" drives vs. some of the higher-performance ones on the market?
    I'd love to test this, but I can't afford to buy different HDDs
    The ones I'm using for this test are 4x 3TB WD Red drives - if anyone has 4x 3TB green/low power drives they wanna donate, I'd happily compare them!

I have 4x 1TB WD Green drives, but its not a fair comparison as the 3TB drives are much faster.

Power consumption.
    Speed of network and file transfers.
    Ease of setup of different RAID configuration.
    Look of each unit.
    Quad Core Mac Mini Server, 15' rMBP, 12' MacBook, Thunderbolt Display, iPad Pro/4/2/Mini, iPhone 6S/6S+, AppleWatch 38/42mm, iPod Touch/Nano, ATV 4, AirPort Extreme, Promise Pegasus R4
    36 Trades

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
    Power consumption.
    Speed of network and file transfers.
    Ease of setup of different RAID configuration.
    Look of each unit.
    Pretty much this what else do you really want in a NAS?

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Erwin's list, with the the possible addition of how well it works as a media server that integrates with iTunes.

power consumption number one.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

How are they when things fail? Say there's another capacitor plague and the unit dies, can I just buy another one, swap disks and be up and running? Could you try creating an array, swapping disks and factory resetting the unit, then creating a new array before resetting again and returning to the original array?

I'd also be curious to know if you can bring along your own software and get root (for binding low ports).

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post

The review should be up in a week or so, but I'm after some of your ideas on what sort of stuff you'd like me to compare about them, or info you'd like to know. I have in mind a few benchmarks, power consumption info and comparing the feature/price ratio of each one, but if there's a particular thing, you've been wondering about NAS units, let me know
    Oh perfect timing, Anthony!! Like others, very interested in which will do Plex. I know the Synologies do, but the others... no clue. Apart from that, max storage of each.

Plex plex plex plex plex plex plex plex.

#plex

Who knew people loved Plex so much? There's probably 2 parts to be able to run Plex that'll need to be tested if you add that to the list:
    1. Can it run it?
    2. Is the box powerful enough to transcode video for mobile devices/compressing for 3G?
    MacBook Pro 15.4"/2.4GHz i5/8GB/500GB/Hi Res, Mac Mini 2.4GHz/4GB/320GB, iPad 2G 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G
    iPhone 4 32GB, 3GS 16GB iPod 5G 60GB Classic, 6G 16GB nano, 4G 8GB nano, 2G 2GB nano, Nike+iPod
    Apple TV 2G Airport Extreme x2, Express x2

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    I'd love to test this, but I can't afford to buy different HDDs
    The ones I'm using for this test are 4x 3TB WD Red drives - if anyone has 4x 3TB green/low power drives they wanna donate, I'd happily compare them!

I have 4x 1TB WD Green drives, but its not a fair comparison as the 3TB drives are much faster.
    I have 2 x 2TB WD greens. If you can get 2 more your welcome to these for the duration of the shootout

Network transfer speed is critical for MYOB, if you could measure random access and sequential transfer speeds to get the NAS version of 'disk transfer speed' that would be great... oh and plex
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Available applications, like SABnzbd, Plex, etc.

File transfer speeds for both large files and a set of small files.

One thing I have noticed is that when access my NAS from a windows machine (using SMB) everything opens almost instantly, however trawling through files from my Mac using AFP is bloody slow with folder refreshes taking seemingly forever. Hell even using SMB from within a Windows VM on my Mac is lightning fast it's just AFP which sucks balls.... so can you test AFP browse speeds.

I currently use AFP to access files from my Mac
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

Almost all the units are in:

I've done some preliminary testing and the Synology units are quite nice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast