Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I finally have some funds, and also purpose (final year short film, HD footage), to go ahead and get a drive...

I went into Harvey Norman... their only option was "MyBook" drives, $249 for 320Gb Firewire400 & USB 2.... but when I got home and jumped online, I found a lot of bad stories about MyBooks... They use the Oxford 924 chipset... Is that same/better/worse than 911?

The other option, for similar price, is a M9 Mini 320Gb... not that I'm planning on getting a Mac Mini, but still... Oxford 911... dual USB/Firewire... $273 on eBay compared to $350+ from retailers.

I have looked at the option of buying a M9 enclosure and adding a drive, but it works out more expensive... Seems that way for most of the Ox911 chip options...?
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Just eBay'd a M9 Mini enclosure with a 320Gb Seagate drive... firewire 400 + usb2... external brick... oxford 911... $273 inc pp... will let people on this thread know more when I get it
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Just found my dream portable drive (though the cases are a tad chunkier than you can get elsewhere and I haven't seen them available anywhere in oz yet:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

What's the current wisdom on using an iPod as an occasional external drive? I'm finding the new Classics are quite appealing given their capacity. Are they still formatted as HFS Extended?

If you want something that is also useful for throwing your digital camera photos on if you're on the road and don't necessarily want to have your computer with you, I have one of these and can heartily recommend them: Thecus N1050.
    It's a USB On-The-Go (USB OTG) housing for a 2.5" laptop HDD. Throw your own HDD in, format as FAT32 and you're good to go. Comes with a battery case (takes four AAs), cables etc. Works fine with my Canon G3, Canon Ixus 850IS and generic USB CF/SD/etc card readers.
    Cheers,
    Cods.
    iPhone 5 Telstra. Current Mini with Fusion drives. MacBook Pro 15" i7 8Gb w/. SSD & HDD. iPad2 64Gb 3G. Newton MessagePad 2100!

Quote Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
    Just found my dream portable drive (though the cases are a tad chunkier than you can get elsewhere and I haven't seen them available anywhere in oz yet:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go
    They're just the old style Macpower Clearlight enclosure. I've had one of those for years. Works great...

Iomega.
    They are a bit costly but you get what you pay for. They come with Mac Software too
    Successful Trades: brains, mivory, jmd, neoxide, gregh, Byrd, midnight_e,

"Mac killed my inner child" - Hunter Cressall

Default M9 + Seagate 320Gb

G'day,

Well, the M9 enclosure with a Seagate 7200rpm 320Gb drive arrived this morning, just as I was off to Uni.

Been home for a few minutes, have partitioned it (all one partition for now, though plan on changing it after it's been used for editing my final Uni film), and done a few file transfers.

Assuming 1 kb = 1024 bytes, and 1 Mb = 1024 kb... it's transfering at about 2.62 Mb per second.

Looks pretty nice, ifout of place next to my white emac, white keyboard/mouse, white canon scanner, and... well, almost matches the grey canon printer.

Any problems with me putting my Motorola broadband modem on top of the drive? No vents up there, and it's "designed" for the Mac Mini to sit on top...

kendals Guest

I've got the Lacie 320gb Triple interface, and at first it was awesome- quiet and efficient. But now that it's done a fair few backups and the like, it's quite a bit louder.

Do you think formatting it would help it quieten down? (i.e. not jump across the platters to grab data)...?

Smile External Hard Drive

I have been reading all the posts and the more i read the more i get confused....

Can someone please give me a straight answer?

I am currenty running a older imac and i want to buy an external hard drive just to many back up photos music etc...

Now should i be looking for one the supports both USB 2 and firewire 400?

I have been considering - WD My book, LaCie & Seagage. I need about 300-500gb storage and i dont want to spend more than $300

Can someone please list a few models I should consider

Many thanks

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Beast5500 View Post
    Iomega.
    They are a bit costly but you get what you pay for. They come with Mac Software too
    So you're saying they are really good? Because officeworks has an Iomega 320GB External Hard Drive for $173.00 EA
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

Just for the record, I recently bought a LaCie Porshe 500Gb FW drive as I had a 250 of the same type and I'm pretty pleased with it.

However, the 500 drive has a fan in it which the 250 didn't have and had I known this at the time I would have checked out other options as I find the 500 drive to be a bit noisy even when the fan switches off the drive is still appreciably noisier than the 250.

Aladdin's Avatar Aladdin is offline Drink Coffee - Do Stupid Things Faster

Thanks for the heads up! I'll make sure I do my research about fans and noise before I get my next external HDD.
    Rise & Shine: the early spoon gets the morning wood.

What are the things I should be looking for/ thinking of when looking to buy external hard drives? I am running out of disk space on my iBook and would like to move a bunch of files i access less often off it. So the external HD would come in mainly for storing less files I access less, and on the periphery also to be used to back-up some important files.

Quote Originally Posted by taxi driver View Post

I am currenty running a older imac and i want to buy an external hard drive just to many back up photos music etc...

Now should i be looking for one the supports both USB 2 and firewire 400?

I have been considering - WD My book, LaCie & Seagage. I need about 300-500gb storage and i dont want to spend more than $300

Can someone please list a few models I should consider

Many thanks

If you want to make a bootable partition for a non-intel mac, you will need firewire. Oxford chipset guarantees compatability and best speed. I reckon any case that has these two things is fine. If it is aluminium it will have better heat dispersion, as against one with a fan that can get noisy. Have a rummage on the net.

harvey norman.

seagate freeagent 500GB for $210.

im looking at it on my desk now.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    So you're saying they are really good? Because officeworks has an Iomega 320GB External Hard Drive for $173.00 EA
    Hi - I have one of these (well the 500GB version) - and just a caution. I find that on my Intel iMac 24" that the drive will not mount at boot time. I turn it off and back on and it mounts. It now lives on my Airport Extreme as an airdisk.

I replaced this with a Western Digital My Book 1 TB Premium Edition II Raid device. I connect this via FW800 and its sweet !

Cheers
    iMac Core 2 Duo 24 " 4.0GB, 4TB Drobo , iPod Touch 16GB, Black iPod 5G+ 80 GB, 1GB iPod Shuffle, Mac Mini G4, AppleTv, AppleTV2, AirportExpress, AirportExtreme, 2 TB Time Capsule, 32GB White iPhone 3GS, 32 GB 3G iPad, MacBookPro 13" i5 2.3Ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Hudson View Post
    harvey norman.
    seagate freeagent 500GB for $210.
    im looking at it on my desk now.
    That's USB only though, right?

i got a 750gb freeagent for work and it came with a little module that clicks into the bottom of the drive. you can chose to put the esata+usb2 module or dual firewire module. pretty cool i recon. maybe only the 750gb comes with the firewire one?

I bought a USB enclosure for $49 (silver with acrylic front and back covers that matched my mini), and got a 20GB Segate drive for free after asking a person I know at a computer group that I attend.

Picture of it:
    Mac mini and iPad: Mac mini (Mid 2011) Core i5 2.3 GHz 2GB RAM, Thunderbolt Display, Mac OS X 10.7, iPad 32GB (Wi-Fi), Apple TV (160GB)

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast