Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Back again...

Last semester in the end one of my production team purchased a "Cooler Master" 320Gb hard drive off eBay for $179 (plus about $30 postage). It had both USB 2.0 and Firewire connections (thought was FW800, but might have only been FW400).

Looking on eBay now, there's a 400Gb drive of the same kind for $199, plus $29 postage...

It is a Samsung SATA drive... no mention of what chipset it uses...

Thoughts?
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

It's a Prolific from memory, junk. Pull open the case and have a look.

By the way, merged this with the main external HD sticky.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Mmm, ok... Cooler Master / X Craft = same thing... and no, can't find anything to say what the chipset is...

This one is ok though I gather... and actually not too expensive...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Apple-Mac-Min...QQcmdZViewItem

Ah - well, if it were "Buy it now" it would be good price... $200 is the starting price... that might be a problem.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
    It's a Prolific from memory, junk. Pull open the case and have a look.
    Hmm, perhaps this is why I'm having trouble booting from this X-Craft Enclosure... I had a look on the Chipboard, there is a chip that has PMC on it? I can't see the undercarriage of the board unless I pull the whole thing apart...

GRR... So much for the X-Craft playing nice with the Mac...

Anybody tried those Sarotech Cases? Or know if they are Oxford Chipset based... I like the idea of the internal power supply...

What do people recommend for a _small_ portable external hard drive.

Capacity isn't so important, 80-160 would be fine but I'm looking for 2.5' form factor drives in an external case.

Something that is pocketable... my Maxtor mini III just died :-(
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

Aladdin's Avatar Aladdin is offline Drink Coffee - Do Stupid Things Faster

Despite the negative press around the traps, I've personally found LaCie HDDs to be trouble-free.

I've got Porsche P2 (2.5 inch) FireWire+USB2.0 drives - 100GB and 160GB, both at 5400rpm. They do get warm with use (e.g. backing up whole drive with SuperDuper) - I don't stack them up anymore - did it once, and it was rather hot to touch.

I've heard they now max out at 250GB.
    Rise & Shine: the early spoon gets the morning wood.

I am now looking at the LaCie D2 Big Disk Extreme with Triple Interface - 1 Tb.

What do members think of this Ext drive? Any bad points or problems?, any good points?

$629 from Frequency http://frequency.com.au/sales/hard_d...cie_drives/d2/

Thanks
    iMac 27" 3.2Gb with 32Gb RAM, 2Tb Time Capsule & Airport Express,
    iPod 5.5 30g, iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad Mini
    Bruji the best cataloguing programs for Mac OS & iOS

Default External Hard Drives

Hi Guys,

I have an Intel Macbook and want to buy an external hard drive. I've seen this one on ebay and wish to know whether it's worth buying for my macbook. If not, what should I get for a similar price?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=008

Cheers guys

Similar price to that ended auction @ $64 for a 2.5" 80gb drive + case. I don't think you will get one that cheap that is similar, but you can certainly buy a similar case then go buy a drive and install it in the case for somewhat more dollars (and be pretty much the same).

As a caveat, be aware that a lot of the cheap USB external boxes (basically anything which relies on the Prolific chipset) have issues communicating reliably with Macs of all kinds. Your MacBook has FireWire, for optimum reliability buy a FireWire based enclosure that uses the 100% Mac compliant Oxford chipset, and add your own hard drive.

B.

Is there any word on if we are going to get a firewire enclosure bulk buy up and running?

In saying that I agree that getting a firewire enclosure is your best option for external drives

Thanks for all your advice! Cheers Guys

External Seagate hard drives with USB2 have a 5 Year Warranty, and many say USB2 is faster than Firewire.
    I Love My Fuji X100S

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
    and many say USB2 is faster than Firewire.
    I don't Rodney9 and I never will.
    USB2 sucks (and I never say that!!!!!!!).
    Firewire 400 (and 800 of course) is quicker by degrees and to my experience quite a bit more reliable in info transfer.
    PHOTOGRAPHY | FACEBOOK FANPAGE | BLOG
    Professional Photographer | Sydney, Australia

and many say USB2 is faster than Firewire.
    there was a thread just last week on this. http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=35764

In short USB2 is theoretically faster but is a thinner pipe. Firewire drives can allow you to move more data at once - ie will play video without dropping frames.
    Remember when Apple was the little upstart?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiprya View Post
    Is there any word on if we are going to get a firewire enclosure bulk buy up and running?
    I'd be interested in this... Perhaps also a bulk-buy on Firewire/USB 5.25" Enclosures?

Does this Daisy Cutter have an internal power supply similar to that of the Sarotech Hardbox?

External Seagate hard drives with USB2 have a 5 Year Warranty, and many say USB2 is faster than Firewire.
    Who is getting faster average speeds off USB 2.0 than off FireWire 400?

Out of necessity to do a quick back up to sort my problem, I got a welland sun bright enclosure and hard drive and put them together myself for just over $100 (it was all my local computer store had, and I really needed to back up quickly cause I don't know WTF is going on with my emac!) it runs USB2 and has external power supply. Quite impressed that I managed to put it together actually! And it works pretty good!

(Still, I must look into why my computer is doing these strange things!)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people - and I am one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by macaholic View Post
    I just love the Daisy Cutter
    (I have two). They come in all flavours: IDE, SATA, USB, FW400, FW800, combo, etc.
    Oxford chipset too.
    Slightly expensive, but the slimmest I could find (smaller than a Cutie).
    These are made by MacPower. I have a few MacPower enclosures and they're bullet proof...

My one month old Lacie 500 gb died, and Lacie are supplying me with a complete new unit, sad story about the data tho...

So I am running with no backup and I am going away on Sun, and I have to round up another ext HD in Perth this week, and I will just have to wear whatever it costs to grab one from a brick and mortar store..

Ive rung around and western digital passport or elements 160 gb( usb only) seem to be readily available.
    Do they use oxford chipsets? are they reliable?
    Iv'e rung the retailers who have them in stock, and they cant give me an answer.

Or other options?

Thanks
    Dan

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast