Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Ľ Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

This probably relates a little to both vyvafc and woofy ...

I use a Drobo, with three un-matched drives, as my storage location for most stuff. I know others who have their iTunes libraries on theirs, but I havenít taken that step (yet). Itís hooked up to a Mac mini, and is primarily used to serve TV content via the Mini / Plex to the TV.

Itís also used as a repository for various stuff - photo library backups, iTunes library backups, etc. All machines on the network can see it.

I use a FW800 drive (a WD something) for TimeMachine, but thereís no issue - as I understand it - with telling OS X to back up to a network drive.
    ę "Sleight of hand; twist of Fate"

"What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know, and I don't care" Ľ

There is no issue with a Synology as a TM drive, it's built into them, as is an itunes server, not so sure how iphoto plays with it though. I'm just curious as to whether I'll see much performance hit with going to a gigabit network connection over FW800. Its really only for time machine so no biggy. Next year I could connect it via USB3 if nothing else when we change over computers. Synology now have an Air version with built in wifi as well.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I have music stored on my Synology NAS, it shows up in iTunes as a shared drive (DLNA). They also have IOS apps for music/pictures/videos etc. Using it for viewing pictures is not very good in my opinion but the music app is very usable. Streaming video to the IOS app has been problematic but I have no issues streaming using VLC or my ATV2 etc.

There is a live demo for the Synology NAS here : Synology Network Attached Storage - DSM Live Demo

I have quite a few movies lurking in itunes that could easily go onto a Synology NAS, if the ATV2 can see them or even my Samsung TV using DLNA that would work well. I think I've decided...

Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    I have quite a few movies lurking in itunes that could easily go onto a Synology NAS, if the ATV2 can see them or even my Samsung TV using DLNA that would work well. I think I've decided...
    My ATV2 is jailbroken (running plex client) which obviously helps, the main issue is usually the how the movie is encoded.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14