Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Got myself a WD My Book World Edition 1tb, connected via ethernet directly to my iMac and working great. I am working on making it available to other network devices, reason I haven't plugged it into the router is I don't have a gigabit connection to my iMac, only N wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by moto51 View Post
    Got myself a WD My Book World Edition 1tb, connected via ethernet directly to my iMac and working great. I am working on making it available to other network devices, reason I haven't plugged it into the router is I don't have a gigabit connection to my iMac, only N wifi.
    That's fine for the first time setup of TimeMachine, but once that is done, WiFi N should be fine for most uses.
    Cheers
    Mick

It's a $#!T drive anyway, it's slow and the primary use of it wasn't going to be backups. I need transfer rates quicker than 10MB/s which being gigabit I thought it would have. I was wrong, i'm taking it back and swapping it for a 1tb my book studio with firewire 800

True. I'm very glad mine died inside the warranty period so I could upgrade to a Sharespace.
    Cheers
    Mick

It's a $#!T drive anyway, it's slow and the primary use of it wasn't going to be backups. I need transfer rates quicker than 10MB/s which being gigabit I thought it would have. I was wrong, i'm taking it back and swapping it for a 1tb my book studio with firewire 800
    I'm on my second MyBook Studio; the connection between the drive and enclosure isn't great it seems (small sample size, I know), and I'm now looking for an alternative to unplugging and re-plugging the FireWire cable every day or three when the iMac can't find the drive any more.
    "Sleight of hand; twist of Fate"

"What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know, and I don't care"

Don't know whether I should have started a new thread for this, but i'm trying to decide what to go with for some new external drives. I haven't got any of my computers backed up right now, so I need somewhere to do that, plus some storage space for various other media. Basically I thought of three options:
    1. Buy 2x2TB WD Green and a NewerTech FW800+USB HDD dock, and swap them whenever I need to. This is pretty convenient as I can just shove in whichever I need
    2. Buy 2x2TB WD Green and two enclosures
    3. Buy 2 of something like a WD Studio 2TB with Firewire.

HDD dock looks good because it saves buying a new enclosure every time I buy a new drive, and doing Digital Media at uni I'm going to have a couple of HDDs with my projects on them sitting around most of the time.

Anyone got any positive/negatives of the first option?

Quote Originally Posted by tom5955 View Post
    Anyone got any positive/negatives of the first option?
    If you are wanting to back up multiple computers, I'm thinking you need more than just a couple of external drives. I have four and thats only for one computer :-/ I'm also using online backups but thats only for documents and some of my photographs.

What I have done is got carbon copy cloner cloning my 500G internal drive to an external 500G WD firewire... I was doing this last year and it saved my bacon when the internal drive died, computer simply booted from the external until I could organise myself to get the internal drive replaced. I also have 2x2TB external drives (WD Elements just purchased from DSE at a ridiculous price the other day) which are VERY basic, only USB, but I have one as a "working" drive (because the internal gets too full too fast) and the other as a carbon copy clone of that. I've also got another 1TB drive thats doing duty as a time machine drive. Overkill perhaps, and maybe I should have RAIDed the 2x2TB but oh well, I didnt, and its working OK for me.

WD 2TB in external closure are available from DSE for ~$117. 2TB WD drive only can be had for $95-$105 from many computer stores. IMO, buy the external drives that come with an enclosure for $10 more.

Otherwise look at a NAS solution.
    Cheers
    Mick

It's up to you, but there's a reason you're only paying $10 for the enclosure (OK maybe not exactly $10, but you get the message).
    Kushti

Quote Originally Posted by Vaempyr View Post
    I'm on my second MyBook Studio; the connection between the drive and enclosure isn't great it seems (small sample size, I know), and I'm now looking for an alternative to unplugging and re-plugging the FireWire cable every day or three when the iMac can't find the drive any more.
    Take a look at the Seagate GoFlex Desk with the firewire adapter, great drive, powers on and off as needed. Can't fault it, 1tb with the adapter for $149.

I'm looking for a NAS drive to host my iTunes library and maybe also backups. The Buffalo Linkstation Quad has 4 bays (plenty of room for future expansion) and seems reasonably priced. A colleague has recommended the Synolgy 2-bay DS211j, which is a little more expensive. Does anyone have any experience of either?

Any love for the LaCie Rugged? I've seen that Apple Stores are selling the 1 Tb for $249 - cheaper than some. They can be found cheaper (and stores price match).

I don't want a full blown NAS (yet) ... just external storage to combine a couple of smaller devices (one of which is NTFS) and do away with some cables (desktop drives). There are other FW800 devices around, but I don't trust Western Digital (never have) ... unless someone can post a testimonial?!

LaCie drives are great, they seem pretty reliable compared to WD drives.

Personally i've got the 1tb SeaGate GoFlex Desk with the FireWire adapter, great drive for under $150 including the optional adapter. A 2tb isn't much more these days, the combination of a 1tb + the adapter from DSE is $123.

The other drive to consider would be the thunderbolt LaCie Little Big Disk, not sure whether it's actually been released yet.

LaCie drives are great, they seem pretty reliable compared to WD drives.
    Anyone know the warranty?

Personally i've got the 1tb SeaGate GoFlex Desk with the FireWire adapter, great drive for under $150 including the optional adapter. A 2tb isn't much more these days, the combination of a 1tb + the adapter from DSE is $123.
    Less is more. I don't want extra adapters and cables if they can be avoided. Does the GoFlex Desk require external power? Is it a 3.5" or 2.5" disk enclosure (you can never tell from the pics online!).

The other drive to consider would be the thunderbolt LaCie Little Big Disk, not sure whether it's actually been released yet.
    Wow factor! Using a late 2008 MBP here, so Thunderbolt isn't a requirement for me. In fact FireWire isn't required either, but I'm happy to pay a premium for a quality disk/enclosure. I could order from MacSales and save a few dollars too, but if someone will sell me the LaCie at the right price then it's a much easier outcome.

I dunno whether its the physical drive, but lately my TM backups fail to backup....I thought it might be that the drive was full so completely formatted it to a clean state...it was happy for a few days but now has issues after a while again. Its a Taurus RAID II with just a single 500GB disk in it. I'm running Lion on a mid 2010 iMac with 1TB, it doesn't look full to me. Not sure whether its Lion, the physical drive or whether the enclosure is up to something. If I click the drive it opens up fine and I can see everything....I could erase it ok, so not sure what the issue is.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

Exclamation Invalid B-tree node size

Hey everyone, I have a 1 TB WD Elements potable hard drive. Problem is that i have everything off of it and saved, but the hard drive wont mount to my Imac or any other mac. I try disk utility and all i get is Invaid B-tree node size. Ive tried everything from erasing to putting new partitions on it. Nothing works. Unfortunately i dont have the money to get Disk warrior, so im wondering if there is any way to format the hard drive so it works perfectly? :'(

You should have started a new thread for this, dude; it's got nothing to do with the thread it's in. Hopefully a mod will move it.

When you say you "try disk utility" it sounds like you're trying to repair it. This is not worth worrying about if it's empty. What's the actual error message when you try to erase it?

Would it be OK to run a 2.5" external drive (powered by the USB) off an Airport Extreme, or is that a recipe for disaster?

I've got a few 2.5" USB drives lying around and I'd like to use one for Time Machine (ideally partitioned 50/50 for Time Machine and for a general file storage if possible).
    MBP 15" late-2008 2.53GHz/8GB RAM/128GB SSD | iPhone 5 64GB white | iPad (3rd gen) 64GB | A few other bits and bobs

Hi

Looking for some advice. 'Switched' about a year ago, now have in household: iMac 2011, 2-3 iPhones, iPad2, 2 PC laptops. One day would like MBAir! I am moderately 'computer literate', but no longer wish to spend hours/days puzzling things out or finding complex work-arounds or solutions. I switched to Mac for the promised simplicity. I don't have any experience with network-type hardware.

My iMac is stuffed to the eyeballs, so I need some external storage. Initially I thought I'd just get a standard desktop drive, plug it into the back and move my movies there. However, I'm now thinking: would a network drive (which I have never used) allow me/family to: watch movies (incl. non-DRM) on the iPad or laptops direct from the drive, access family photos on the drive, access music from the drive. And what about showing movies on TV?

The other need I have is back-up. I actually recently purchased a refurbished Time Capsule from Apple Store, but haven't set it up yet (because wanting to resolve storage issue at same time). Can I back up to Time Capsule from an external drive/network drive?

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.

On the old thread Clockwork wrote years ago I bought a Macpower Taurus II, which has been connected via FW800 for years to my 2007 iMac and then to our 2010 iMac. We are thinking of maybe getting a macbook next time around since the 21.5" iMac has lost its RAM upgradability and you can get reasonally be large drives in the macbooks now. We have 200GB total on our iMac, so its 1GB drive copes fine. We do like the large screen though, my work laptop is a 12" and I couldn't cope with that screen.

Anyway we have cat6 cabling wired all throughout the house now, and will be running a gigabit network soon. Our macpower unit is misbehaving, a new drive didn't help, I think the units dying, although I haven't tried connecting via USB2. It strangely has showed issues since SL.

I'm trying to figure out whether to just get a NAS unit and use it for time machine backups with two identical drives...something like the Synology series, but they don't come with FW800, but USB3. With whatever we get using USB3 next year it probably doesn't matter, but in the mean time I could use the GB ethernet.

I use the two drives at the moment in the Taurus as single drives, one does time machine, the other I clone the iMac drive once every few weeks with Superduper.

I'm curious as to what hosting music on the synology NAS would be like if I pulled it off the iMac, photos and videos would be good on the NAS as well, but probably better backed up if they stayed on a mac though. Pic and home videos are the main use (as well as music) for our mac so are the things taking up some odd 60+ GB of space.

What would be the best option?
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast