Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default MBPro Suitable for desktop?

Hey there.

I have a MacBook Pro (the one before the Santa Rosa chips), and wanted to use this as a desktop replacement for my iMac G5. Ideally, I wish to attach a 23" ACD, Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. Will my MB handle the display (ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card)?

Also - do you think I'd be pushing it too hard to use it as an all day desktop, as in overheating etc?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ricky.

The setup you describe should work without problems.

I sometimes use my MacBook (integrated Intel GMA graphics) to drive a 24" screen.
    It handles both the 24" LCD and the internal 13" screen at the same time without issues.

if you are worried about it overheating you can get an Elevator/iCurve. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elevator/ that way the bottom of the MBP isnt sitting on a surface getting hot.
    "The Mind Is Like A Parachute, It Does Not Work Unless It's Open" - Frank Zappa

I use my MBPro at home when I work, 4-6 hours at a time, and I also never turn it off.... It performs seamlessly... Love it! Awesome desktop replacement when compared to an iMac.
    Seon R :: Indie Game Dev / Code Monkey
    3 Sprockets :: Cubemen :: Twitter :: Facebook

rickydamelio@mac.com that Macbook Pro can handle the 30" so the 23" should be "no worries mate" :P
    "The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse'. There is no evidence that people want to use these things."
    John C. Dvorak in the San Francisco Examiner, February 1984

Have had my ibook since 2001, I doubt it has been turned off more than a doze times. The new Macbook is similarly, always on, no problems at all.
    "I want to lie, Shipwrecked and comotose, drinking fresh Mango Juice'.

www.barcoasters.com.au

Laptops are more prone to exploding after long periods of use. If you look in the manual, Apple state that you give the laptop a rest every 2 hours to make sure you don't overwork it.

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Laptops are more prone to exploding after long periods of use. If you look in the manual, Apple state that you give the laptop a rest every 2 hours to make sure you don't overwork it.
    Do you know anyone who's laptop exploded after a long period of use? And if so, did you get it on video?
    "I want to lie, Shipwrecked and comotose, drinking fresh Mango Juice'.

www.barcoasters.com.au

Thanks for everything so far folks!

I always charge up and use the AC for a while, then let the battery drain to exercise it, will this help?

Ricky.

Quote Originally Posted by rickydamelio@mac.com View Post
    Thanks for everything so far folks!

I always charge up and use the AC for a while, then let the battery drain to exercise it, will this help?

Ricky.
    To further help it along, charge the laptop upside down. It separates the positive and negative ions in the battery to lessen the chance of a reaction.

To further help it along, charge the laptop upside down. It separates the positive and negative ions in the battery to lessen the chance of a reaction.
    Ooooo, interesting. Thanks decryption
    Won't this apply unwanted pressure on my display though??

Whilst on this, does anyone recommend a good external hard drive for my media??

Ricky.

Default MBP as Desktop

I use my MBP 2.4 8600GT as a desktop replacement connected to 24" Dell LCD & eSata connected external drive. I have it sitting on a Griffin Elevator stand for cooling with the harddrive case sitting underneath - looks really neat and takes up hardly any room. It works fine and handles anything I throw at it. Considering the size of the PC beast I replaced with the MBP it is a very sweet unit - and takes about 30 secs to unhitch and chuck in my backpack if I'm travelling or whatever.

Would anyone please be able to tell me what ports the 23" will take up?

Ricky.
    It's one thing to nod, it's another to know.

The DVI port one USB and one Firewire port (you don't have to plug them in and you will get 2 USB ports and 2 Firewire ports back) and one power point :P.
    "The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse'. There is no evidence that people want to use these things."
    John C. Dvorak in the San Francisco Examiner, February 1984

MBP is perfect for a desktop. Its got grunt and its portable. Give it an iCurve and you are set
    Sick of Bullshit? Go here
    www.youngausskeptics.com

iBook 14'' 1GB Ram, MBP(santa) 15" 4GB ram, iPod Nano(3G) 4gb, iPod shuffle 512mb, iPod Touch 8gb.

Cool. Thanks guys. Just restating my earlier questions. Is it harmful to the MBP to charge it upside down, like decryption suggested??

Cheers,
    Ricky.
    It's one thing to nod, it's another to know.

Aladdin's Avatar Aladdin is offline Drink Coffee - Do Stupid Things Faster

No one's mentioned whether they use the MBP (with attached external display) with the clamshell open or closed!

Won't it run hotter with the clamshell closed?

I'm thinking of the same setup, but am concerned with heat issues.

Perhaps the (rumoured aluminium) iMac would be better.
    Rise & Shine: the early spoon gets the morning wood.

Definitley the way to go.
    I don't close mine, it's too useful to have two monitors on the go

then next time, you gotta charge right side up in order to reconnect them to be sure to be sure

I'm using an MBP as a desktop replacement - an eSATA card with external drive(s) or FW800 external will be a great extra for storing large files on too. The slowest thing in the MBP's is the hard disk.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast