Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Format Hard drive

Hi Guys, I'm new here. Infact i'm new to Mac world !

I just bought a macbook 1.83 GHz come with the 60GB hard drive. After OS X installed i left only 35GB. Common, 35Gb is definately not enough for me.

So i thinking of buying samsung sata 160GB Hard drive for replace.

My question is that how do i format my 60GB hard drive so that i can sell it to other people. In other word delete all the partition.

many Thanks
    Macbook - 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Hey noidea

35gig is loads, but the OS doesn't take up 25 gig :P
    When you ran the install there's loads of options you can disable that take up gigs worth of space, for example, printer drivers which take up a crazy 2-3 gig worth, and language files which take up quite a chunk too...

best bet is to give it another shot before deciding to upgrade. most of the time, the os takes up about 5gig of space on my mac.

however, if you do want to wipe the drive, there's a utility called "Disk Utility"
    it has LOADS of formatting options, including the military grade, 35-Pass random data erase :P

(you can find that in Apps > Utilities)
    Mr Aaron
    ----------------------
    Site : http://isnot.tv
    Apps : http://bleepblop.isnot.tv & http://desklickr.isnot.tv

Yeah - an OSX install shouldn't be that big - I'll assume that it is iLife's fault, since the garageband loops and iDVD templates take up a bit o' space. HEck - I run the Final Cut Studio 2 pro apps package and my boot volume only has 13Gb used - that said I do have all the templates installed on an 80Gb HDD of their own..

Anyways, you'll find what you seek in: Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility.

If you want to format *before* you install the new HDD, you'll have to do it off the Mac OSX install Disc. To do this insert your software restore disc (I'm assuming - it'll be number 1) and run the 'install OSX' thingy in there. When it reboots, choose your language, and then go to the bar at the top of the screen and choose: Utilities - Disk Utility. From there, follow d2kagw's instructions - select your disk and format to HFS+, and select your security option. I'd recommend a 1-pass data erase, which will effectively flip all the bits in the HDD back to zero, I believe.

That should fix you up no matter what!
    If it is hidden, it is the flower - Zeami, Noh playwright

I had a similar problem when I bought the same machine, Its very straightforward to do the upgrade:

1. 60GB just isn't enough period.

2. If you want to sell it on eBay after as d2kagw suggest using disk utility you wipe it.

3. Then just pull out the Macbook's HDD replace it with your new drive it is very easy

4. Boot the machine put the first of your install disk that came with the machine and you can customize the install on your new drive. I've put a link on the bottom to walk through of how to replace a HDD in a macbook.

OR

5. Buy a n external drive case from somewhere like www.auspcmarket.com.au and use the old drive for backup etc, you can in fact just simply remove the drive as before and wipe it after you have it in this case.

manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf

Oh and welcome to the mac!

okie...Thanks alot guys. I local store is having a special on the samsung 160GB hard drive for $127 inc. GST. I think that is a very good price.

Heh, my OSX install is under 1.5 GB, but that is without any iApps (no iPhoto, no iTunes, no iChat, no iLife, and no extra printer drivers & stuff).

Seeing as you plan on upgrading your HD anyway, you can always try a re-format and re-install of OSX from your provided DVD, and use the "Customise" option to disable anything you feel you would never need. Garage Band and iMovie are the two biggest space-gobblers.

I second youngma's suggestion of a little external box to put your old drive in -- you can use it like a giant USB thumbdrive, or as extra general-purpose storage, or as a repository for backups of your important work.

Brains

yeah, when i got my macbook from Myer, it already have all the software installed. I can't choose what i want. The best bite is to reformat them now. But seriously i don't think 60 GB is enough down the track man....

That depends on what kinds of data you want continual access to. If it's big stuff like music files and movies, you might as well leave them on an external.

Another note: when you look for a HD to upgrade to, do check the rotation speed -- avoid a 4200rpm one, get a 7200rpm one if you can. Because OSX likes to page stuff to disc constantly, a faster HD will make for smoother overall performance.

B.