Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry C2D MB Repaired... now broken differently.

UPDATE:

GOOD NEWS:
    http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthr...104#post321104

MacBook Dies (again): http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showpos...3&postcount=16
    MacBook Service History (all from one repair period ): http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showpos...7&postcount=33

So here's the deal. My Macbook was playing up with kernel panics (airport induced) and screen flickering for a while, I figured I'd get around to fixing it eventually after uni semester ended.

However, all that changed when the freakin' thing decided to go and die. I brought it into MyMac in Melbourne on the 15th of June (yes, two and a bit weeks ago ). Unfortunately the logicboard required was out of stock so I had to sit on my hands for a week while it was ordered (there were none in the country).

I gave apple a call and spoke to them about the situation and they managed to locate one and said it'd be delivered it to MyMac within 3 business days which I thought was excellent.

However... when calling back to check in on the repair, they informed me that the logicboard they were sent was DOA, so they'd have to wait for another one. Then, to add more annoyance, when the next logicboard was installed, it turned out the first one wasn't dead after all, but rather, that the airport card had somehow died and was causing it not to boot.

So with a new logicboard and airport card all in place, it booted. I was told to come and pick it up. However, being the cautious person I am, I asked "Can you check everything?" And upon doing so, the iSight was found to be faulty so it needed replacing as well, this took yet more time as the part needed to be ordered. In addition, I mentioned the flickering LCD screen due to the potentially dodgy inverter board and they said they'd add it to the iSight part order and install a new one for me.

When I finally got to pickup the laptop (04/07/07), I noticed the top case had been replaced, when I enquired as to why, I was informed that it was replaced due to the cable having been broken or something during repair, so it was replaced. I didn't really care, however, the case itself has a giant lip sticking up at the top right inner hinge edge where the hinge has clearly bent it up due to poor alignment. So that has to be replaced again this Friday as a replacement has been ordered and won't be here until then.

When I got it home, I noticed two things. One, there was no serial number written to the logicboard and two, the optical drive doesn't work (see video for summary (I missed some bits I spoke about here) and demo of crapness).

To summarise:
    - Logicboard
    - Airport
    - Inverter Board
    - iSight
    - Top Cover

All replaced. It's madness. :/ Not happy jan.

Youtube link:
    VIDEO NO WORKY

How long have you had it?
    [B]| Flickr | blog | MacTalk Podcaster | Official PM-Bid Hater #1

After 3 repairs.. don't you just get a new product?
    My Mountain Bike Blog

Sweet trades simo, avolve, Jedda, zmit, ryano (x2), emerson, Nevets_Anderson, cbennie, step_andy and more...

Quote Originally Posted by arkenstone View Post
    How long have you had it?
    edit: 3 and a bit months.

Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword View Post
    After 3 repairs.. don't you just get a new product?
    Edit: Just had a look, can't find anything on it.

ARGH.

I was just seeing if the battery had lost any capacity due to being flat for so long when I noticed this. Adding more insult to injury. I'm so pissed about this whole saga.

My Mac sure does seem to be old. 24,440 Months old.

1.There is no serial number displayed in System Profiler once your logicboard been replaced. This is normal.
    2.PM me your serial number I see what I can do for you.
    MP 2.8, 12G, 4TB, 8800, BT/APX, BRay SDDLx2, 2 x 23" ACD. TS 1TB. iB G3G4. PB Ti 1G. MM G4 1.42,1G,100G,SDDL. Every Gen of iPod. PM1.4GCube. MBA SSD64G. APP for everything, Of course. Successful trades with: mivory,mvjs,Gothikon,William,iGOOSE, sanjay, stewiesno1, astr0b0y, [MREVO8], p53. Thanks very much.

Its sounds like the tech who repaired it, is a newbie and utterly hopeless?????

Quote Originally Posted by iMarty View Post
    edit: 3 and a bit months.

And you haven't demanded a replacement?

Wow. You're patient! I would've demanded a replacement two repairs ago!

Quote Originally Posted by arkenstone View Post
    And you haven't demanded a replacement?

Wow. You're patient! I would've demanded a replacement two repairs ago!

1.Any product out of DOA periods (14 days or 10 working days), are not qualifed for DOA replacement.

2.Apple will only replace an unit if it can not be repaired or with major issue of HDD/LB/Display. Someone may lucky get replacement without meet above Apple service guidelines, But lucky not always happen to you.
    MP 2.8, 12G, 4TB, 8800, BT/APX, BRay SDDLx2, 2 x 23" ACD. TS 1TB. iB G3G4. PB Ti 1G. MM G4 1.42,1G,100G,SDDL. Every Gen of iPod. PM1.4GCube. MBA SSD64G. APP for everything, Of course. Successful trades with: mivory,mvjs,Gothikon,William,iGOOSE, sanjay, stewiesno1, astr0b0y, [MREVO8], p53. Thanks very much.

From last month, logic boards should not have blank serial numbers. Qualified techs have access to tools to fix that up. They also have access to take-apart guides; something your technician may want to consult in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by phillipg View Post
    From last month, logic boards should not have blank serial numbers. Qualified techs have access to tools to fix that up. They also have access to take-apart guides; something your technician may want to consult in the future!
    This is incorrect, even the official apple service guides have noted that the serial will not show up anymore in the OS. i have not seen any official apple service guide that details updating the s/n stored on the mainboard.

this whole saga sound really bad....

anyhow, the serial number can be 're-written' to the new board using a boot disc which Apple techs have access to. it's just been made available & anyone who doesn't know about it should check the disc images section(you should know where).....

with the above history, i don't see why this whole s@&Ew up can;t be escalated to Apple for a new mac replacement. really, i don't see why not. in total everything done here warrants this.
    _______
    Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB ram, Intel mac mini 2.26GHZ, 4GB ram, Airport Express, ATV2, iPhone 4 & 3Gs and various un/necessary gadgets and gizmos, OS 10.8

Quote Originally Posted by FBTN View Post
    1.Any product out of DOA periods (14 days or 10 working days), are not qualifed for DOA replacement.

2.Apple will only replace an unit if it can not be repaired or with major issue of HDD/LB/Display. Someone may lucky get replacement without meet above Apple service guidelines, But lucky not always happen to you.

I suggest you check your consumer rights with your local office of fair trading. Specifically check out statutory + implied warranties. There's no magic 14 day number.

A $3000 purchase with four faults requiring repair in three months is not acceptable. I don't care what Apple (or any other Manf said), I'd be asking for a replacement. If one wasn't forthcoming I'd start making a WHOLE lot of noise about it in as many places as I could.

Reasonable retailers would at this point swap the product over and take the hassle on themselves - no reason for Apple not to do that themselves.

Who's the consumer here? They're the ones wanting /our/ money.

I had someone PM me with what Apple has down on their system in regards to my laptop serial number.

They only have down:
    1. Your MacBook Logicboard was replaced due to [System-Wide Issues: Kernel Panic]
    2. Airport issue when use with Cisco wireless platform.
    This is complete crap. The logicboard was replaced because it was _dead_, the kernel panicing was in the past. moreover, the airport issues were also a moot point due to it being.... dead.

More to the point, it fails to list ANY of the other parts that were replaced under warranty. I was promised that this complete list would also be provided to me on friday by MyMac as the person who was looking after the repair wasn't present. Argh. This whole thing is a nightmare.

Angry

oh for fucks sake. the laptop just crapped its pants. Since I made the video in the original post, the laptop has stayed atop my desk doing sweet fuckall. And by sweet fuckall, I mean browsing digg/mactalk.

Just now, it made a click noise, then I get this god-awful burning smell and it switches off. Upon switching it back on, all I get is a solid white light from the sleep LED yet everything appears to be running (I can hear fan/hdd)..... I really do think I'm going to cry now.

Call Apple directly, I'd suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_insidev2 View Post
    This is incorrect, even the official apple service guides have noted that the serial will not show up anymore in the OS. i have not seen any official apple service guide that details updating the s/n stored on the mainboard.
    There is now a service cd that you can download & boot from that allows you to edit the serial number on a new logic board. You can only change it if the value is "SerialNum" or something of the like...haven't used it myself yet, but from what I hear it does the job.

DOA period for the machine has already been stated in this thread. Within the first 10 business days, and you can take the machine back and get a replacement.

You can cry and demand all you like, but you're not going to get a replacement unless it's under extreme circumstances. Trust me... it's things like:

1. the part is out of stock and you've been waiting for a long time (personally seen this happen 3 times now)
    2. the machine has had a huge amount of repairs, including multiple repairs on the one part (3 ~ 4 generally gives you a better chance at getting a replacement)
    3. you hit the right person in CR

It also depends on how you can whinge to Apple, how you can't live without your computer, etc. They hear it all the time, however

As in other threads about warranties , keep all your receipts and communications , whether letters , emails etc including dates for the computer in /out for service and who you talked to and print these out . Then call up Apple and try to see someone in person , taking along all correspondence. Putting forward a cohesive and thorough argument is half the battle.
    Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

It sounds like they first diagnosed the machine wrongly, then damaged the iSight while repairing it. What I'd be interested to know is where the machine was purchased?

Something I think worth following up for the future is an issue of who is responsible where a machine is faulty, yet an authorised repair agent fails to correctly repair the machine or possibly damages it further.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast