Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

╗ Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Non-destructive partitioning

I have a 320GB external HDD that has 4 partitions on it. I want to change it to 2 160GB partitions, and use one of them to do clone backups from my 160GB MB HDD. Is there software available that can do a non-destructive partition on this disk? According to Apple's Disk Utility, if I use that to adjust any partitions on the disk, everything on the entire disk will get wiped:

"Partitioning a disk will destroy all information on all of the volumes of the disk."

Great. So back in 1997 I could use MS's disk utilities in DOS to adjust partitions that would allow OTHER partitions on the disk to remain intact, but in OSX, you can't adjust even empty partitions without wiping the lot? What sort of shit is that?

If Apple have let me down, is there a 3rd party utility that can be used to adjust partitions in OSX without wiping the disk? Or even better, a utility that can do a non-destructive resize of partitions? (I don't expect a full non-destructive resize to be free, but would like to know if it exists.)
    "The need is not for, say, half a million ╝-inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million ╝-inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

Is something like iPartition like what you're after?
    Successful Trades: krazy1, Astr0b0y, soulman, areal, smdnetau, Huy, Alessiman, step_andy, tibook, mulquemi, BoxDog, Devski, The Keddi, decryption

That looks to be just the thing. Have you used it? Has anyone had experiences with iPartition? Are there any other options for non-destructive partitioning?
    "The need is not for, say, half a million ╝-inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million ╝-inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

Ah 10.5 will (hopefully) have that in Disk Utility

Quote Originally Posted by forgie View Post
    That looks to be just the thing. Have you used it? Has anyone had experiences with iPartition? Are there any other options for non-destructive partitioning?
    No I haven't used it, but I did see a mate tinkering around with it.. I"ll ask him what he thought...
    Successful Trades: krazy1, Astr0b0y, soulman, areal, smdnetau, Huy, Alessiman, step_andy, tibook, mulquemi, BoxDog, Devski, The Keddi, decryption

iPartition seems to be the best of its class, but it is not free.

As to why Macs haven't had dynamic partitioning, blame that on HFS.

Anyway, considering the price of HD space at the moment (A$99 for SATA or PATA 320GB Seagate or WD at MSY, for example) why not just get another drive, and use that for data-shuffling? It'd cost you just a little more than getting iPartition would, you double your storage space, and you get to re-shuffle your partitions as you see fit.

Brains

There is some useful discussion of command line tools for this job. I recall some mention that there isn't a man page for them yet.

E.g. http://www.ffnn.nl/pages/articles/ap...rtitioning.php

It looks as though Leopard will finally allow me to do what I wanted originally - change the partitioning without formatting the whole disk. Leopard is looking pretty damn good at the moment....

http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/...tility002.html
    www.nickforge.com

Well they're doing it now (kinda) through bootcamp.
    Macbook Pro C2D 2.2/4GB/250GB
    Mac Pro Quad 3Ghz/4GB 8800GT 30"

I have a mate who has used iPartition on three Macs at least that I know of using OS10.2 through to 10.4 and he swears by it. He is always shuffling partitions and their sizes on different drives ( why I will never completly know , although I suspect it is because he can ) and has yet to lose any data. As always (with data anyway ) I am the eternal pessimist who expects that if anything can go wrong it will so backup , backup , backup before you give something like this a go. I used it once to repartition a small 40Gb drive and it seemed to do the job well.
    Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

Well said, macdave.

The main functionality of Bootcamp is just a frontend for diskutil.
    You can non-destructively partition via terminal without needing any 3rd part tools.

Another app for partitioning on the fly is DiskStudio - a non destructive way of doing this and a great timesaver. Runs on UB and PPC. US$49 so it's not free but for someone whoe is a tech or does a fair bit of this sort of playing around with partitioning of HD's it would be invaluable. Min OS is 10.3.
    http://micromat.com/index.php?option...d=33&Itemid=54

As always backup first.
    Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

I recall that partitioning on the fly was going to be a lot easier with Leopard. Does anyone know if this is so? I couldn't find anything about it on Apple.

Partitioning is a lot easier in Leopard. All the functions that were in bootcamp are accessible through disk util now.
    Grrrr, Arrrrghhh!!!
    http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8259491826/photos
    My Photo Gallery

So there's full non-destructive partitioning of all volumes? What about the boot volume?
    www.nickforge.com

Default Partitioning

try Qparted - freeware. Allows resizing and creation/deletion of partitions. Google to get details. Worked for me on the Apple as well as my Linux box.