Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default NextG phones and Mac OS X (isync)

Did a few searches in here today - in between being completely sucked in with the whole iPhone launch.

as badly as I want an iPhone - it doesn't look like there is any hope that the US version will work here...

so that leaves me with a dilemma.
    I'm currently on Telstra GSM (yeah I know Helstra - but coverage is an issue)...
    with a SE W810i.

Thinking of upgrading my business plan, and phone...
    and also thinking of moving to 3G / Next G.

A few people I know recommend Vodafone - but I go to Tassie a few times a year, and in a new job might be in Darwin too - and I don't think Voda's coverage in Tassie / NT is much chop.

Can't seem to find any good NextG phones though - especially when it needs to play nicely with Mac OS X!
    Anyone on the NextG and managed to get isync working with their phone?
    Address Book / iCal the two biggies....
    SMS in Address Book less of an issue - as that doesn't even work with my current phone.

Cheers
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Nokia have released plug ins for all their newer phones that aren't supported in iSync, all locatable on their site. So, if you pick a nokia, you'll be sweet.
    Once you go Mac, you never go back...

There aren't any Nokia phones currently on the NextG though?

One rumoured to be close... but none currently.
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

Quite a number of nokia's will operate on the 3g network.

I have an N70 and it can be set to use 3g if it is the stronger signal.

Although I hate windows mobile (buggy and runs like molasses when compare with PalmOS) there are no palmOS 3G phones. Missing Sync for windows mobile and any windows mobile 3G phone (eg Dopod 838pro, iMate JASJAM, Palm 750V) will play nice with isync and addressbook/ical. I have personally tested this option (jasjam + missing sync) and it works well. Too bad the PalmOS is so much more efficient for me that I have changed back to a palmOS treo 680 on the Next G network, foregoing the 3g speeds.

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Quote Originally Posted by samwalk View Post
    Quite a number of nokia's will operate on the 3g network.

I have an N70 and it can be set to use 3g if it is the stronger signal.
    3G is not the same as NextG. "3G" operates on the 2100MHz frequency, NextG on 850MHz. 3G phones generally do not support 850MHz.

Quote Originally Posted by choy View Post
    Although I hate windows mobile (buggy and runs like molasses when compare with PalmOS) there are no palmOS 3G phones. Missing Sync for windows mobile and any windows mobile 3G phone (eg Dopod 838pro, iMate JASJAM, Palm 750V) will play nice with isync and addressbook/ical. I have personally tested this option (jasjam + missing sync) and it works well. Too bad the PalmOS is so much more efficient for me that I have changed back to a palmOS treo 680 on the Next G network, foregoing the 3g speeds.
    I agree about Windows Mobile software!!!!
    Thanks for letting me know though that Missing Sync does work on these newer devices... and still plays nicely with Mac OS X.

It sounds like from your post that you have noticed NextG is slower than another 3G network?
    Is this the case?
    Mac OS X

After a weekend of surfing / browsing / reading...
    I have decided its a shame the new SE K850i isn't coming out till Q4 2007!
    That phone looks great! and will work on the NextG network it seems.

Anyone else on the NextG? and what phone are you using?
    Mac OS X

here in "the way outback lower South East of SA" the battery on my trusty 2 and half year old CDMA Nokia 2112 won't hold more than 5 seconds charge now, (worked Ok last week!) how much for a battery?
    Probably it's time to get a new NextG phone, but do MacTalkers have any suggestions which one? and any ideas on which Telstra (unfortunately it has to be) plan to pick?

Thanks for any useful info & suggestions.
    64GB iPad 3G (2010), 32GB iPhone GS, 27" i5 iMac & 1TB Time Capsule (2009)
    MacBook 2.4 (2008), black 80GB iPod Classic (2007)
    14" iBook G4 (2005), iMac DV SE (2001), 1400c (1997)

I have the Nokia 6120 Classic, which supports the 850MHz band and has great signal strength (especially for a non-"tick" phone ie certified for rural).

I put a iSync plugin together for it that you can get here.

Regards,
    Shane.

O'Connor, Democratic People's Republic of Canberra

My motorola V6 doesn't sync properly with isync. Doesn't worry me much though. Great coverage on NextG in Tasmania too, the locals in rural areas all commented that telstra has the only decent coverage.

couldn't get a LG 550 but got a 500 on a Telstra prepaid plan (doesn't have the cd of drivers for the Bluetooth), it seems to work OK in town here and on way to Coonawarra, haven't had to try it further away. its dark text on mid blue background screen isn't as easy to use as the simple Nokia dark text on pale, the sounds for every action are a nuisance,

Murphy is busy, after bringing home the new LG phone with number changed over the recently unemployed Nokia decided to keep a battery charge for 5 days!

Hope the new nextG towers get better in time for the official switchoff whenever that will be.

Stick with Telstra, go the cheapest nastiest phone you can find that gives you adequate service, and make do untill they release the iphone!
    "I want to lie, Shipwrecked and comotose, drinking fresh Mango Juice'.

www.barcoasters.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Daviddc View Post
    couldn't get a LG 550 but got a 500 on a Telstra prepaid plan (doesn't have the cd of drivers for the Bluetooth), it seems to work OK in town here and on way to Coonawarra, haven't had to try it further away. its dark text on mid blue background screen isn't as easy to use as the simple Nokia dark text on pale, the sounds for every action are a nuisance,

Murphy is busy, after bringing home the new LG phone with number changed over the recently unemployed Nokia decided to keep a battery charge for 5 days!

Hope the new nextG towers get better in time for the official switchoff whenever that will be.
    The Telstra rep. seemed to think the Nokia has the best reception around the SE.

Dad got the Nokia 6120 Classic about a month ago and thinks the coverage around Keith is better than CDMA.

why not an unlocked iPhone? around $600 from the US
    mine works fine with Telstra, the down side is the voicemail - the rest is fine (syncing, address book ical etc)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmc View Post
    why not an unlocked iPhone? around $600 from the US
    Because technically it is still illegal.

Since I started this thread it is good to see Nokia have a phone out - and a shame that the SE K850i has failed Telstra testing and now won't be released possibly until Jan / Feb 08.
    Mac OS X

I put this up in October last year and finished up having to get a LG 500 TC from the local shop as I had to have a working phone for work the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Daviddc View Post
    here in "the way outback lower South East of SA" it's time to get a new NextG phone, but do MacTalkers have any suggestions which one? and any ideas on which Telstra (unfortunately it has to be) plan to pick?

Thanks for any useful info & suggestions.
    now my wife needs to swap her totally reliable Nokia 2112 for something before the CDMA gets turned off, so again what's a good NextG phone for rural use?

I am in Gippsland and use a Nokia 6120 classic. Works great. Sync with ical, address book etc.

Martin
    Mini : iPod Touch : 3G iPhone : Nano : 12" Powerbook : 24" iMac