Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

View Poll Results: What is your current type of connection to the net?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ethernet

0 0%
  • Cable

10 21.28%
  • ADSL

24 51.06%
  • ISDN

0 0%
  • 56k dialup

10 21.28%
  • 28.8k diaulp *shudders*

2 4.26%
  • Other (ATM, T1, T3, Sat)

1 2.13%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I am currently on dialup, but have recently applied for 512k ADSL and received the 'status confirmed service as deliverable' message. Hopefully it will be up and running by the weekend.

Whats your current connection method?

OptusNet Cable all the way baby! woo hoo it flies!!!.....
    I cant go back to dialup, it destorys the whole internet experience!

512/128 Internode Flatrate ADSL, been with Internode now for a year, great service and the best ISP I have used (and I've used plenty).
    And no, this isn't a back pat because we want Internode to host our site, it's because Internode is truly a great ISP, nay, company, and anyone who has dealt with them will back me up on that!

campus T1 line. B)
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

512/128

netspace

jameso

I'm with Swiftdsl (256/64 - which is plenty for me to download .pdf and general email, chat and messaging) since November 2003.

When they use to be good.

They grew too quickly and now the quality of the service and the connection have suffered.

They had also been overcharging me for a few months, didn't realise till I received my credit card statement. Got a refund for the extra money.

I have a friend with Internode, on the 1500 unlimited plan, I like visiting with my iBook

Steve
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

56K here It's getting to me ... I'm waiting for Alphalink wireless to hit my area. Seems the cheapest away to acquire broadband for me.

JB

Got a 512/128 vdsl line, into my ipcop box then to our switch, its great downloading stuf at >50ksec i also recommend ipcop its a free linux distro that has been completley stripped down, it only needs like a pentium 100 to work so if you're thinking of putting together a simple linux firewall/router then its for you www.ipcop.org (its the new modified version of smoothwall)
    Know me before you judge me...

Optus Cable Bloody fast!

Got activated today (woohoo&#33

I am now on Internode 512k ADSL

Lucky buggers - didn't know so many ATA users were not on broadband Alphalink wireless won't hit my area for some time (owing to me living in a fairly high part of Melbourne - ?), so I'm looking into unlimited TPG 256K ADSL for $50/month. Anyone with them?

JB

Internode 1500 Orange plan. Definitely the best ISP, and probably the best company I've ever dealt with.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Originally posted by the_argon@Mar 16 2004, 09:34 PM
    I am currently on dialup, but have recently applied for 512k ADSL and received the 'status confirmed service as deliverable' message. Hopefully it will be up and running by the weekend.

Whats your current connection method?
    Internode here too, 512/512 dsl - I was on 256/64 for 18 months before changing up.

It's lovely =)

dana

Well, im in Canada, so compared to Australia connectivity is much better here, and the whole internet market isnt controlled by only by 1 company like for you guys.

I got 1.5mbps/512kbps ul (though, my upload strangely feels like 384kbps, so i got to get that figured out with my ISP)

I might upgrade to 2.5mbps for a extra little punch.

I feel sorry for you guys because you have to pay so much for your internet and you get way slower speeds then in North Ameria

iiNet 1500/512 here

BigPong ADSL 512/128 2GB cap.

Ya know what's wrong with BigPong? The upload component is charged, it's part of the monthly allowance. Aarrgghhh....
    Peter
    Late 2013 Mac Pro fully optioned + three 27" Thunderbolt Displays
    Late 2014 iMac/Retina fully optioned; Original 15" MBP/Retina fully optioned

I'm on 56k dialup atm, but I'm relocating soon (next couple months) to China, to start my new job

Then, I shall have broadband, no idea what speed though (a friend there pulls like 2megabit I think, and I imagine at work it'll be faster still. Oh, and no download limits....)

BigPond is evil. A mate of mine churned to node the other day, same price ($60/month), but they went up to 512/128 line speed and 12gb downloads, from 256/64 and 500mb...

-- codeman
    RIP Jef Raskin 1943-2005
    RIP Steve Jobs 1955-2011

At work we're on 2000/2000 fibre. Extremely low latency is very tasty.

Home is 512/128 DSL through iiNet. Nice, but it can get slow when the girlfriend and I are both hammering it (particulary when I'm trying to access home from work, or vice versa). There's a smoothwall box at the front of my home network, so all the machines inside (Mac/Linux/Windows) have web access. I got my whole house wired up when I renovated last year, so there's plenty of data points. The next step is wireless and an 802.11g iBook just for yum.

I have a VPN between my place (Brisbane) and my best mate (Rockhampton) which is neat. iiNet to iiNet means data transfer isn't counted. Using that we can share files, video chat, play LAN games, etc all at no cost. Again, the 128k upstream can get a bit slow, but it's better than a stick in the eye.

The problem with all of this is I have become so dependant on the web it's not funny. I find it almost difficult now to go out to a client without web access and actually get any work done. (Carrying 50 CDs of patches and updates is a pain).

Bring on free nation-wide 11mbit/s wireless DSL, I say! Parts of Europe and the US are doing it successfully. All info is tunnelled over individual VPN connections which means it's secure and sensible.
    "Saying your operating system is the best because more people use it is like saying MacDonalds make the best food"

I hate the internet technology and how its being pushed (or lack them of) here is Aus.

Steve
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

Originally posted by elvis@Mar 19 2004, 12:17 PM
    Bring on free nation-wide 11mbit/s wireless DSL, I say! Parts of Europe and the US are doing it successfully. All info is tunnelled over individual VPN connections which means it's secure and sensible.
    well, not everyone does vpn when out on the streets.

But This website could come in very handy if you are within the United States or travelling here. The site is frequently updated and lots of public-spirited individuals are doing their darndest to provide free access.

Unfortunately, that generally means that someone is paying for the access, and it's usually the person with the Internet hookup.
    "Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses." -Arthur C. Clarke

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast