Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: 10.4.10

Default 10.4.10

Hi folks,

After downloading the latest patch. All my programmes think that I'm running 10.4.1 - I guess they can't see past the first decimal place.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a fix?

Thanks
    It's not the years; it's the mileage...

What applications think they are running 10.4.1? What does About This Mac say? ( Menu --> About This Mac)
    MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 15" | iMac Core 2 Duo 20"
    iPod 5G 30GB | iPod nano 4GB | Apple TV 40GB | iPhone 3G 8GB

UNO and Onyx both said sorry, this software can't work on your system, you must be running OS 10.4.4 or later.

About this mac definitely says 10/4/10
    It's not the years; it's the mileage...

You should try checking out the application's web sites.

I just had a look at the Onyx site and it has a new version (1.8) which states it is compatible with 10.4.10

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/eng...nyx_tiger.html

It's cause those application writers when checking the version probably only ever expect 10.4.x (X to be a single digit number, but that changed when apple pushed out a 2 digit number to that field).

Some are claiming that the 2 digit revision violates Apple's own naming conventions, so maybe it isn't all the writers fault.

I vote they rename it to 10.4.0xA.

Quote Originally Posted by g5agogo View Post
    Some are claiming that the 2 digit revision violates Apple's own naming conventions, so maybe it isn't all the writers fault.
    It's a standard major.minor.patch versioning scheme. In theory you can keep adding one. 10.4.10 shoudl read as ten.four.ten to any software looking at it. Anything that sees 10.4.10 as 10.4.1 is taking the version string and making the 4.10 into a decimal number...which converts t to 4.1. It's jsut bad programming...ram is cheap enough that they can afford to create another int to hold the patch number....comparing 4.9 to 4.8 works, but breaks when the patch number hits anything > 10.

There was no written law in Apple that said "thou shalt not patch OS X more than 9 times"...it just so happens they have never done it before (they always managed to release the next version before they got the chance).

Bartron
    This opinion intentionally left blank.