Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Does running my MBP on clamshell damage the LED screen surface?

HI folks,

Can the heat generating through the keyboard damage the LED screen surface in any way when the computer is running with the lid closed ?

My common sense tells me the heat could warp the soft surface, just as it would do to a piece of paper.

What does Apple say ?

I daresay Apple would say there is a very good reason they don't allow their laptops to be run with the lid closed
    My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very hungry...

macbooks and macbooks pros do run with the lids closed though
    Mac Pro Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Quad, 6GB Ram, 128GB SSD+320GB+3x1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX285, Mac OS X 10.7
    My Flickr | Portfolio/Photoblog

Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    macbooks and macbooks pros do run with the lids closed though
    Ah. The way the OP described it made it sound like some kind of hack. Shows how much i know (and how much i wish i had a current Mac!)

If that's the case then it must be fine (and, if it does screw up your screen, Apple could be to blame).
    My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very hungry...

I've been using mine in clamshell mode for the last few months, and it does get hot (80+ degrees), but it hasn't affected the screen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by qwijibo View Post
    I've been using mine in clamshell mode for the last few months, and it does get hot (80+ degrees), but it hasn't affected the screen yet.
    The LCD is going to be fine, what about the guts of it roasting though? I'd only try this if I had current Applecare...

I use mine in combination with an external LCD for a year now and it's perfectly fine.

I do have to add that I do open the lid a little bit when the processor is going trough the roof...
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was ending, she turned into a butterfly...
    iMac 27", MacBookPro 17" & Dual G4, iPhone4

The keyboard, among other things, is designed as a large passive heatsink - but definately isn't the main component involved in dissipating heat from the motherboard.

Any MB/MBP used in "clamshell" mode will increase temperatures, but since the screen is switched off whilst closed, it's not going to make any difference. The best thing to do is make sure the surrounds of the notebook are clear from any obstruction, and a stand helps here too

JB