Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default "Fire whips through bondage parlour" - corniest headline ever

I love the quote from the fire brigade's spokesman in the 3rd paragraph. I wonder if he deliberately chose those words.

Fire whips though bondage parlour

The Age May 23, 2007 - 6:42AM

A misplaced candle is believed to have started a fire that caused about $100,000 damage to a bondage and discipline parlour in inner Melbourne.

Metropolitan Fire Brigade crews were called to The Correction Centre in St David Street, Fitzroy, just after 10.15pm and contained the fire to a room on the second floor of the two-storey building.

An MFB spokesman said 18 firefighters "were tied up for some time but disciplined and controlled firefighting contained the blaze to one room on the second floor".

The establishment's staff and any clients had evacuated by the time MFB units arrived. No one was injured but much of the upper level was damaged by heat and smoke.

The spokesman said a lighted candle was thought to be the cause of the fire.

The fire was under control in about 30 minutes, Acting Commander Ala McLean told radio station 3AW.

"It was fairly quickly controlled. It was a small fire. Once they gained access into the first floor area it was reasonably quickly extinguished," Mr McLean said.

I wonder if the firemen had leather chaps on, and used the correct safety word
    MacBook, iMac, iTouch
    Trades: landog, HDK, BiRDBRAiN, macdave, Mac Ram
    MacTalk Kiva Lending Team!

That's wonderful. I don't care whether it was the firefighter who said it, or it's the work of a particularly clever journalist, but that is so brilliantly done. I love subtle little details like that.

Ha ha. Just noticed the text under the photo in the link:

Can you smell burning rubber? Firefighters scramble to get to the seat of the Correction Centre blaze.

Hilarious

Just noticed that The Age made a mistake in the headline: 'though' not through.

Check it out if you don't believe me (I didn't believe me at first)

Rightio men, hoses to the ready

I bet the parlour's owner is ropeable with the damage...

(Okay, that was bad. )

Edge Guest

Sorry guys, that headline doesn't even come close to the recent headline from Yahoo news (and probably elsewhere, too) about a tightrope walker crossing the Han river in Sth Korea:

Skywalker Crosses Han Solo

Our subs have a lot of catching up to do.

When fireplay goes wrong...

Or what about, 'headless body found in topless bar'

Very funny.

wow 30 mins to have under control....

If only we had kinky stuff in our storeroom when it burnt to the ground maybe they would have got there sooner!?
    -------------------------------------------------
    Resident Cake Diva, Perpetual N00b.
    MY TOYS
    2st gen ipod nano, White macbook C2D, Imac G4 700 lampshade , imac G3 graphite