Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default HELP: Alternative way of deleting dock icons?

Hi,

I've put the hard drive of my fried iMac into an external case, and I'm going through and cleaning it up - I want to get rid of some dock icons that are on the iMac hard drive - is there another way of deleting icons from the dock, because I can't access the actual desktop on the hard drive...

Cheers,

MacBook Unibody 13" | iPhone 5 32Gb | iPad 3 16GB | iPod Nano 6G | Airport Extreme | ATV2 Successful Trades: TomMelbourne | Mart | ajbeardy | Barticus | countmacula | mikinoz | Exocet | oddturtle | gmask1 | jeremywarnock | carlow1 | musky

Install developer tools and open up ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist and manually remove the items.

Default Edit

I'm not sure if this will work, but you could try this:
    Assuming that you can navigate to the User folder on the external hard drive, you could try

Users/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Delete the com.apple.dock.plist file and I'm guessing that the Dock would default to it's original configuration.

As I said, this is only a guess. I recommend that you make a copy of the com.apple.dock.plist file
    and keep it handy should you need to relace it.

Oh, and I've had a quick look. There doesn't seem to be an easy way of actually editing the com.apple.dock.plist file to remove specific Dock icons.

Except by installing Developer Tools. Thanks iSlayer
    'He who controls rhythm, controls.' John Lee Hooker

Thanks guys
    MacBook Unibody 13" | iPhone 5 32Gb | iPad 3 16GB | iPod Nano 6G | Airport Extreme | ATV2 Successful Trades: TomMelbourne | Mart | ajbeardy | Barticus | countmacula | mikinoz | Exocet | oddturtle | gmask1 | jeremywarnock | carlow1 | musky