Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian_kitten View Post
    Firefox remembers too ... all your open tabs, everything.
    Firefox also has an excellent Scrapbook plug in, that allows you to save web pages.
    Jimdrum 2.66ghz Unibody MBP, 450mhz. Cube, 15" iMac, 16 gb iPod Touch, 16 gb nano. Successful trades: too many to list!

i Have been useing Skype as my main IM Client and find it to be the best for me. Has funcion included to allow cheap phonecalls worldwide through your computer, and you can even re route your landline completely through the internet if you wish. I s also compatible with the built in i-sight camera. Only other one I have found that is compatible is Yahoo, but I prefer the greater functionality of Skype.
    "I want to lie, Shipwrecked and comotose, drinking fresh Mango Juice'.

www.barcoasters.com.au

fascinating babya...

anyhoo, i cant believe you can have a noob list and not include Quicksilver. Merlin Mann will be sending hired goons to MREVO8's place.

(only here could the above sentences make any sense to anyone)

and what about MPEG Streamclip? I recommend that once a month here.

Quote Originally Posted by Galumay View Post
    as mentioned Panic Unison, free one is http://igrabnews.free.fr i actually prefer igrabnews to unison now and use it for all my binary downloads.
    Thunderbird is a good free app that can be used for newsgroups. I have Thunderbird sitting next to Mail.app in my dock.... Mail for Mail, Thunderbird for Newsgroups. I wish Apple would add newsgroups to Mail.app....
    "The need is not for, say, half a million -inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million -inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

i am looking for a technical drawing app. I am not after the scale of autoCAD - something on the scale of Microsoft visio.

anyone have ideas??

I have looked at Verion Tracker and MacUpdate, though am do not want to mess around with apps trying to see what is good/shite - i was hoping for some recommendations based on expereince

I have come across

I have already played with Live Design and EazyDraw - not what i am after... Other suggestions

The best selling CAD program for Macs is Vectorworks.

http://www.ozcad.com.au/

Its been around for 15 years and in recent years has been ported to windows.

Its relatively easy to learn and to use.

You can do 3D stuff with it as well.

OMG omg i cant thank you enough for this thread... im getting a new mac next week and after being a windows user for the past 6 years its very very very daunting thinking about having to re-start from nothing program-wise... this has made my life alot easier THX SO MUCH

edit: although i was wondering does anyone know a program on mac that will allow me to edit videos to the extent that Virtual Dub Mod does? I often use that program and like the direct save option (no re-compression)... and also does anyone know a good PSP video converting software? thx, i don't think you could get anymore noob-y than me at the moment about macs, very daunting for someone who knows nearly every button on XP :P thx

Quote Originally Posted by avolve View Post
    i am looking for a technical drawing app. I am not after the scale of autoCAD - something on the scale of Microsoft visio.

anyone have ideas??

I have looked at Verion Tracker and MacUpdate, though am do not want to mess around with apps trying to see what is good/shite - i was hoping for some recommendations based on expereince

I have come across

I have already played with Live Design and EazyDraw - not what i am after... Other suggestions
    Have you looked at omnigraffle? Lots of downloadable libraries etc to help you out?

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/

Paul
    iMac 27 inch 3.4 i7 32 GIG RAM / Macbook Pro C2D 2.33 / 32 GIG iPad 2 / 8 GIG Nano / 32 GIG iPod Touch
    Podcasts - Originz and Mysteries Abound

Welcome to Mac. Welcome to MacTalk.

Quote Originally Posted by bleach1st View Post
    does anyone know a program on mac that will allow me to edit videos to the extent that Virtual Dub Mod does? I often use that program and like the direct save option (no re-compression)
    Not me, but others will know.

does anyone know a good PSP video converting software?
    FFMPEGX has a PSP preset and is free/shareware.

Toast/Popcorn as above, but they cost.

... i was wondering does anyone know a program on mac that will allow me to edit videos to the extent that Virtual Dub Mod does ...
    iMovie. It comes free with every new Mac.

... does anyone know a good PSP video converting software?
    Not sure, but perhaps Visual Hub might do the job.

Any other questions, a good place to start is searching MacUpdate -- they list pretty much everything that's available for MacOS. Think of it as a Mac-only (and therefore much better) version of VersionTracker

Brains

Great list MRE!!!

I just downloaded Flip4Mac and it's pretty impressive, going to have a good look at all the links you have here... I'm sure I'll find many more invaluable.

Thanks dude!
          

thx for the replies peoples good to see i wont be alone when trying to switch to mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Brains
    Not sure, but perhaps Visual Hub might do the job.

Any other questions, a good place to start is searching MacUpdate -- they list pretty much everything that's available for MacOS. Think of it as a Mac-only (and therefore much better) version of VersionTracker
    thx for the site MacUpdate, has lots of apps that could come in handy, as well as Virtual Hub

Quote Originally Posted by richbowen
    FFMPEGX has a PSP preset and is free/shareware.
    yay, great recomendation thx just what i was looking for
    thx peoples

Don't forgot to add VMware Fusion to the list also.

You may wish to add a note to NeoOffice, that its probably the wiser choice between it and OpenOffice.

Whilst its guts is OpenOffice, NeoOffice doesn't use X11 and uses the fonts available to the operating system (unlike OpenOffice).

It's these features that would make me recommend it over OpenOffice for Mac users. (If you like, its the OpenOffice to use when using Mac.)

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    You may wish to add a note to NeoOffice, that its probably the wiser choice between it and OpenOffice.

Whilst its guts is OpenOffice, NeoOffice doesn't use X11 and uses the fonts available to the operating system (unlike OpenOffice).

It's these features that would make me recommend it over OpenOffice for Mac users. (If you like, its the OpenOffice to use when using Mac.)
    there is an aqua port of openoffice now.

Surprised that the list didn't include an audio convertor so here is a great free ware one

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

Useful for converting files such as .flac that itunes doesn't recognise

I've found myself beginning to standardize on certain apps - maybe I'm getting old... hope that these might help someone find something interesting!

(all the following are IMHO, of course!)

What's the best program to...

... chat on MSN, Yahoo, AOL?
    Adium, of course

... burn a CD?
    I'm currently using Disco (the app, I'm not actually posting things to Disco for copying...)

... convert a movie?
    ffmpegX

... backup a dvd?
    HandbrakeCLI or MacTheRipper

... list auctions on eBay?
    I'm using iSale, but GarageSale is also out there.

... launch applications and OS X tasks?
    Quicksilver - and don't forget the tutorials on TheAppleBlog: Here's one to get started

... unify the look and feel of OS X apps?
    Uno

... play movies?
    VLC

... organise photos?
    Aperture, iPhoto or Adobe Lightroom

Quote Originally Posted by gmask1 View Post
    ... burn a CD?
    I'm currently using Disco (the app, I'm not actually posting things to Disco for copying...)
    Why not he is great at it :P
    "The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse'. There is no evidence that people want to use these things."
    John C. Dvorak in the San Francisco Examiner, February 1984

i often go look at IUseThis http://osx.iusethis.com or their lesser counterparts, Deligio http://www.deligio.com and Wakoopa http://www.wakoopa.com
    You can see what are the most used apps by the people who use these sites (skewed results?) and find out what is good by mere popularity. Remembering, of course, that like Windows, just because a lot of people use something doesn't mean it's any good.

I find Miro a useful program for video organising, playing, etc. www.getmiro.com

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast