Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Just noticed 2 folders I've never seen before today...

hi there,

I just noticed that in the root of my local disk, there is a new folder sitting there inbetween Applications, Library, System and Users. it is named e400 and it contains two empty sub-folders with the naming structure: -07ffffffecffffff-0000000000 and -07ffffffecffffff-d681020091.

i have never seen anything like this before...can someone shed some light?

thanks
    mike

Looks like they're temp folders. You *might* be safe just to trash them.

Did you install anything recently?

I know some installers have a thing for leaving the 'trash on the ground', so to speak.

It sounds like temp folders from something. I'd restart, and see if they're still there. I'd be 99% sure you can delete them with no ill effects. To test that theory without burning any bridges, make a folder called "wierdfolder" in your user directory, then move the strange folder to the new "wierdfolder". Restart and see if anything breaks. If anything broke, it is relatively easy to put things back how they were (just ask here). If nothing broke, just delete the folder.
    "The need is not for, say, half a million -inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million -inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com